You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Just out of interest, why are you putting that in the shitness of modern football thread?

To me, that’s a nice looking football, and the design of footballs has been a part of the game for me since I was a kid, so this is just a picture of a nice ball as far as o am concerned.

For me, adidas is always in the top ten when it comes to what puts me off of football these days. But I definitely understand your point in questioning why I put this rather random thing in here.  

I don’t reckon the premier league would get away with it. La Liga have resorted to it because the money is running out for them. They’re struggling to compete with the premier league selling it abroad and have been for years. It’s only in the past couple of seasons that we are seeing the impact of that on the pitch. They can’t just pick and choose players from the premier league any more. Coutinho has massively dinted Barcelona and I don’t think we will see them come back for Liverpool players soon. Real Madrid look absolutely skint as well.

They still miss the point that the reason the premier league sells so well is because it’s competitive. It’s getting less competitive as we see the top 6 solidifying but it still by far more interesting than La Liga. They need to bite the bullet and spread the money around to benefit the league (including Barca and Real) in the long run. They’re clearly just terrified of not being able to compete in the champions league. The problem for them is that’s going to happen anyway soon. The odd Barca v Alaves game in Washington will sell out a stadium but it’s not going to get people on the edge of their seat week in week out.

Do these clicks have a financial incentive for newspapers and websites etc? The more clicks,more money? If so I can understand why they do it. Another way would be to produce well written and well researched journalism but that's much too difficult.

Yep, my lad works as a web dev for a digital marketing agency, they have eight or so PPC (pay per click) executives/strategists working for them.

La Liga are apparently talking about staging one of their league fixtures in the States, kind of like that 39th Game plan the Premier League mooted a few years ago. There's even a suggestion that it could be as early as this season though I doubt that. I hope it's an El Clasico fixture on a weekend between European nights where both clubs are still involved in the knockout stage, forcing long distance travel and inequate preparation on the greedy cunts.

Liverpool should be kicked out of the Champions League according to the president of one Serie A side.

The Reds suffered heartbreak in the final last season, losing 3-1 to Real Madrid in Kiev after a pair of howlers from Loris Karius.

Now, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has released a typically strong statement, accusing Liverpool and Roma of being owned by the same person.

UEFA guidelines do not allow two teams owned by the same person/people or company to take part in European competitions.

In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, De Laurentiis said: “I have the feeling that Roma and Liverpool have the same owner.

“I was told by somebody a few years ago and if it was true they would not be allowed to play the Champions League.”

There is understood to be no actual concern however, as American businessman James Pallotta owns Roma as well as shares in the NBA’s Boston Celtics, while Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group own the MLB’s Boston Red Sox.

De Laurentiis is a massive gobshite, the same as Aulas at Lyon and Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga. They're in the Donald Trump mold of spouting uncorroborated shite, issuing threats and seeing their arse when someone else unsurprisingly gets the better of them and makes them look like the cunts they are.

De Laurentiis is a massive gobshite, the same as Aulas at Lyon and Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga. They're in the Donald Trump mold of spouting uncorroborated shite, issuing threats and seeing their arse when someone else unsurprisingly gets the better of them and makes them look like the cunts they are.

There you go... right on cue..

Inter Milan to Sue La Liga President Javier Tebas over Luka Modric

Inter Milan have announced their intention to sue La Liga president Javier Tebas over his claims the Nerrazzuri are using "tricks" to sign Luka Modric.

Per Football Italia, the club released a statement on the matter, saying: "FC Internazionale Milano announces that it will take legal action against Mr. Javier Tebas in the face of statements made today in the Press."

Tebas voiced his displeasure with the market and how certain clubs conduct their business in an interview with Spanish newspaper ABC (h/t Football Italia):

"Things don't happen just because we make mistakes, but I don't think this is the case, but other clubs things have happened, which shouldn't happen.

"I'm not only referring to PSG but also Juventus with the signing of Ronaldo and Inter, who have no money to buy players but then offer a mountain of money, the source of which I don't know.

"Tricks in the market? As for Juve I don't know. We'll have to see how their deal [for Ronaldo] pans out, but Inter's offer for Modric hid some tricks.

"The PSG-Neymar issue was also rigged. PSG are a club of 'just tricks' like Manchester City, and this generates circumstances that destabilise the market and media."

UEFA should consider disqualifying them from European competition. Sport Witness noted many have accused of him of "sour grapes," and he denied criticism of favouritism toward Real Madrid and Barcelona in the same interview.

These latest comments are the first regarding Serie A, and it's no wonder he expressed anger at Cristiano Ronaldo's move to Juventus and the links between Inter and Modric―as La Liga president, he would much rather see the two stay in Spain.

He has gone to great lengths to keep La Liga's big stars around: As reported by Sid Lowe of The Guardian, he flat-out rejected PSG's deposit of Neymar's buyout clause last year, going directly against FIFA regulations.

This isn't the first time a club has threatened to sue Tebas, as Manchester City also hit out at the La Liga boss last year, per Stuart Brennan of the Manchester Evening News.

DiBenedetto used to be Roma chairman and is part of the investment group that owns the club, he is also a member of FSG. It was looked at in 2011 and it was determined that NEEP ( the group that own Roma) and FSG were two separate entities, at one point DiBenedetto was going to sell his FSG shares due to any potential conflict of interest but didn’t have to in the end.

DiBenedetto used to be Roma chairman and is part of the investment group that owns the club, he is also a member of FSG. It was looked at in 2011 and it was determined that NEEP ( the group that own Roma) and FSG were two separate entities, at one point DiBenedetto was going to sell his FSG shares due to any potential conflict of interest but didn’t have to in the end.

This is still dodgy as fuck,regardless of the fact that we are one of the clubs involved. It's not really anything different than all the other dodgy stuff that goes on in football every day though.