You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Their leagues give great entertainment & are very fan-friendly , they have no obvious major problems keeping their stars in the country, and the national team is great.

To my eyes he only upsides to the 50 + 1 are possibly doing a bit better in Europe and more money sloshing around boardrooms. I can't see it being worth the change.

Classic case of the grass is always greener on the other side. We would love their low prices and fan involvement. They would love their own share of dodgy oil/oligarch money.

Who is "they" and who is "we"?

German football is great for fans. English football is great for billionaires.

Here you go..

Germany’s top-tier teams consider regulatory revamp to spur foreign investment

Germany’s top football teams are discussing plans to sweep away rules prohibiting foreign investors from owning Bundesliga clubs, amid concern they lack the financial firepower to compete against rivals in the English Premier League and Spain’s La Liga.

Christian Seifert, chief executive of the Deutsche Fussball Liga (DFL), the governing body of the country’s two top professional divisions, told the Financial Times that his organisation has “opened a debate” about changing the “50+1” ownership rule that means club members must hold the majority of voting rights.

In effect, the rule bars commercial entities from owning more than 49 per cent of German clubs in most circumstances.

The regulation, unique to German football, has contributed to a fan-focused culture, helping to ensure low ticket prices and the highest average match day attendances in world football.

Yet, there has been frustration at boardroom level, as the rule has dissuaded wealthy individuals and corporations from investing in German clubs because they cannot gain a controlling stake.

Mr Seifert said his organisation’s board has begun a consultation about altering the rule, ahead of clubs voting on the matter in the next month.

“We need to start an honest discussion … about the 50+1 rule,” said Mr Siefert. “We need at least to figure out if between radical positions — keep the market as it is, or blow it away and open up the market completely — there is a way in between.”

Pressure to alter the 50+1 rule has grown in recent years thanks tothe riches enjoyed by English Premier League sides, as well as Barcelona and Real Madrid in La Liga.

The Premier League’s 20 teams benefit from their share of £8bn in domestic and international broadcasting rights. The value of these rights may fall, after the latest auction to screen top-tier football matches in the UK recouped far less than the current £5.1bn contract, although bidding to screen matches for certain rights packages is still under way.

Many English clubs, such as Manchester City and Chelsea, have also benefited from wealthy foreign owners that have invested heavily in acquiring players. In Spain, Barcelona and Real Madrid benefit from receiving a larger slice of broadcasting revenues than their domestic rivals.

“When I’ve had conversations with potential investors, the 50+1 rule has been something that has clearly prevented them looking at Germany,” said Ben Marlow, an executive at 21st Club, a football consultancy. “[if the rule changed], I would expect to see a few takeovers in the reasonably short term.”

On Thursday, the DFL reported that teams in the Bundesliga, the top tier of German football, achieved revenues of €3.37bn in the 2016-17 season, a 4 per cent increase in revenues year on year. They will earn greater sums from this season, the first in a record four-year €4.6bn television deal with Sky and Eurosport.

Despite these gains, German clubs still lag behind the highest-earning sides on the continent. Though the Bundesliga is the second highest revenue-generating league in the world, only three clubs — Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke 04 — are among Europe’s 20 richest teams, according to Deloitte.

Mr Seifert said the DFL’s clubs will discuss compromise measures to the 50+1 rule, such as ensuring that club members are still given the right to block changes relating to “football culture”, such as the colour of team’s strip or moving a stadium to a new part of a city or relocating a stadium.

However, he warned failure to reform would lead to legal challenges to the rule by minority investors at German clubs who have grown impatient at their inability to control commercial affairs at teams. Twenty-four of the 36 clubs in Germany’s top two leagues must vote in favour for a rule change to be enacted.

“I think it’s fascinating at least to try to find a way that combines this very special German football culture, which is admired all over the world . . . with standing terraces, relatively low ticket prices, that welcomes the whole society into the stadium; with economically serious behaviour and opportunities to invest,” said Mr Seifert.

How terribly sad and predictable!

“I think it’s fascinating at least to try to find a way that combines this very special German football culture, which is admired all over the world . . . with standing terraces, relatively low ticket prices, that welcomes the whole society into the stadium; with economically serious behaviour and opportunities to invest,” said Mr Seifert.

I think it would be better if you got hit by a bus, Mr Seifert.

Why is Bayern so dominant if no clubs in Germany are in majority private ownership and (I presume) ticket prices are similar and TV-money is relatively evenly spread? Most teams go up and down all the time, even the clubs with massive support such as Dortmund and Schalke, only Bayern is always there, almost always walking the league?

Why is Bayern so dominant if no clubs in Germany are in majority private ownership and (I presume) ticket prices are similar and TV-money is relatively evenly spread? Most teams go up and down all the time, even the clubs with massive support such as Dortmund and Schalke, only Bayern is always there, almost always walking the league?

Because bayern earn the type of sponsorship money man United, barca and real Madrid do.

Is a good question especially when you consider Bayern were not even founder members of the Bundesliga when it was formed in the early 60's. In fact in those days Bayern were not even the number 1 club in Bavaria. I think they got promoted to the Bundesliga from Germany's Regional Leagues around 1965 and their rise to prominence followed ours to a degree.

3 consecutive European Cup victories certainly helped them even if one was dependant on a last kick equaliser and some say Leeds United were robbed blind in the last. They were given another helping hand when they were virtually gifted the Olympic Stadion after the 1974 World Cup.

In the 80's Bayern won 7 titles to cement their lead at the top of German football. Since the 2000's they have pretty much won the title every other season. It was an unusual season if Bayern did not finish as Champions or runners up. While all this was going on they raked in sponsorship but not huge by todays standards and regular European football help.

Bayern are reputed to be one of the best run clubs in the World and considering tv and ticket income is not great they regularly feature in the top 4 or 5 wealthiest clubs. It also helps they are virtually able to cherry pick the co league's clubs best players to maintain their dominance.

• Upvote 2

Being at a warm weather training camp instead of competing in the latter stages of the FA Cup. Some of my happiest memories following Liverpool have been at Wembley and Cardiff. Freaks my nut out to this day we haven’t put together a decent cup run in fucking ages.

We have been largely shit in the FA Cup since the early 90s. Generally speaking, we only have a good run once every 5 years, otherwise we fall in either the 3rd or 4th round, losing to some absolute shite. Hence all these opportunities to get in some warm weather training.

Have a go at my Sporcle game. It is both enlightening and depressing to see how abject we generally are in the FA Cup.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/iDom/liverpool---fa-cup-opponents

• Upvote 2

We have been largely shit in the FA Cup since the early 90s. Generally speaking, we only have a good run once every 5 years, otherwise we fall in either the 3rd or 4th round, losing to some absolute shite. Hence all these opportunities to get in some warm weather training.

Have a go at my Sporcle game. It is both enlightening and depressing to see how abject we generally are in the FA Cup.

Fuck me that is depressing looking at that. Things didn’t seem that bad viewed in the hazy fog of nostalgia.

Bayern are reputed to be one of the best run clubs in the World and considering tv and ticket income is not great they regularly feature in the top 4 or 5 wealthiest clubs. It also helps they are virtually able to cherry pick the co league's clubs best players to maintain their dominance.

Part of the reason they go for players from their own league is that they'd struggle to compete with English clubs for players now. Teams like Everton can compete with them in terms of transfer fees. Judging by the Porto result, English clubs are really starting to pull away from everyone bar PSG, Madrid and Barcelona.  

Social media is full of dickheads though. It's lovely of you to stick up for her and that but I'm sure if it was breaking her heart she'd bin it off and not bother. I'd imagine her fabulous wealth is also of some comfort to her in the face of some glue sniffer making lewd suggestions.

It's not even the lewdness I object to. It's the tedious predictability of twats with only the most tenuous claim to supporting our club hounding her about the way her husband runs his business.
  • Upvote 1

Hahah, good waste of 15 minutes that!  Got 183/190.

• Upvote 1

Being at a warm weather training camp instead of competing in the latter stages of the FA Cup. Some of my happiest memories following Liverpool have been at Wembley and Cardiff. Freaks my nut out to this day we haven’t put together a decent cup run in fucking ages.

Look at how largely irrelevant its become since the spineless cunts at the fa allowed their competition to be treated like shite. Huddersfield play United and Huddersfield don't really care because a relegation fight is more important(financially,of course) and United have a CL match a few days later so they get a bit of a free ride when it could have been an old fashioned cup upset. The only way the FA Cup becomes relevant is if it carries a CL place and they fuck finishing 4th to qualify off. I'd love that but it won't happen as winners don't need to be winners any more. The shitness of modern football strikes again.

I'm sure I brought this up last year after the pathetic exit against Wolves meant the players were rewarded with a midseason break in the sunshine. You wonder if going in to the West Brom game the players knew there was the possibility of a holiday if they lost...

Seeing all the players laughing and joking while they have their 'team bonding' training camp stuff is all well and good but it seems to be forgotten about in the club media stuff that the only reason they're there in the first place is because yet again our FA cup efforts were laughable.

• Upvote 1

That will be shit if it happens and hope the fans rebel and stage stay away protests. The Bundesliga is a superb league to watch and the atmosphere helps this,it would be a shame to make it as sterile as the PL.

The enduring excitement of finding out who will finish as runner up to Bayern Munich.

The enduring excitement of finding out who will finish as runner up to Bayern Munich.

As opposed to finding out who will finish second to whoever has the richest owners while the crowd wave their plastic flags. At least those fans can afford to watch their fight for a possible european position and their younger family members too.

As opposed to finding out who will finish second to whoever has the richest owners while the crowd wave their plastic flags. At least those fans can afford to watch their fight for a possible european position and their younger family members too.

Is a good point but I think German fans have also embraced their club moving to a new stadium even if it was a souless bowl design something our fans would not embrace. I think only Dortmund and Berlin havent made the move out of the top clubs. Also note nearly all Bundesliga stadiums have naming rights deal.