You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Apols if posted before, can’t be arsed looking. When did it become a thing to talk about football positions using numbers? Am on a FA level 1 coaching course at the moment and tbh it’s better than expected because the tutor is sound and his big thing is ‘does it look like football’ I.e. how do you apply it in the real world. However, he’s talked abou attacking using ‘no.9’ & ‘’no 10’ - eh? We all know what he means but there are more useful descriptors surely? What does that mean to kids - noticed that even Klopp does it re: midfielders (and I like Klopp, more than my wife) I.e. no.8, no. 6. Am I just an old git? Surely this dosen’t Capture the nuances of the roles

• Upvote 2

Good man, Rob.

Yep, been on many of these courses, and you can spot the modern football follower (and a few cod-experts who post on here like that 3 Piles) a mile off as rather than cringe and use the proper position name, they throw in digits.  Because they really know what they're talking about.

"He's an 8, not a 4".

Keep up.

If you don't use digits you're the type of coach who thinks it's alright to drink ale, and probably wear flares and a kipper tie.

• Upvote 1

Apols if posted before, can’t be arsed looking. When did it become a thing to talk about football positions using numbers? Am on a FA level 1 coaching course at the moment and tbh it’s better than expected because the tutor is sound and his big thing is ‘does it look like football’ I.e. how do you apply it in the real world. However, he’s talked abou attacking using ‘no.9’ & ‘’no 10’ - eh? We all know what he means but there are more useful descriptors surely? What does that mean to kids - noticed that even Klopp does it re: midfielders (and I like Klopp, more than my wife) I.e. no.8, no. 6. Am I just an old git? Surely this dosen’t Capture the nuances of the roles

Using shirt numbers to describe a player's position is done quite often on the continent, and certainly in South America. In Argentina, a No5 plays the Mascherano role and the No10 is the playmaker/second striker. Even in England, the No9 is usually deemed to be the centre forward.

Go back to using good old terms like centre forward inside left outside right and wing halfs I say. In them days you used to know where a player was playing.

Recently watched an episode of Bullseye from the early 80s. One of the contestants said he enjoyed playing footy and was a centre half. Jim Bowen, referring to football as "soccer", said "that's a bit dated, isn't it? It's all about sweepers now".

That's a super smashing lovely tale is that

• Upvote 1

I follow Linda Pizzutti on Twitter (because Boston is too far to stalk her in person). Every time she tweets anything- regardless of whether it's about football- she gets nobheads from all over the world (the kind of cunts who have profiles declaring their support of Zamalek, Real Madrid and Liverpool) giving her dog's abuse and telling her to spunk hundreds of millions on whichever player is in this week's headlines, usually signed off with #fsgout.

• Upvote 1

I follow Linda Pizzutti on Twitter (because Boston is too far to stalk her in person). Every time she tweets anything- regardless of whether it's about football- she gets nobheads from all over the world (the kind of cunts who have profiles declaring their support of Zamalek, Real Madrid and Liverpool) giving her dog's abuse and telling her to spunk hundreds of millions on whichever player is in this week's headlines, usually signed off with #fsgout.

Like this...

6eae21d63592a02def6a081fdb36d2c9.jpg

Recently watched an episode of Bullseye from the early 80s. One of the contestants said he enjoyed playing footy and was a centre half. Jim Bowen, referring to football as "soccer", said "that's a bit dated, isn't it? It's all about sweepers now".

You've got all the time in the world, Dejan.

Shame that requires a subscription to the Financial Times otherwise I'd have liked to have read the article.

Here you go..

Germany’s top-tier teams consider regulatory revamp to spur foreign investment

Germany’s top football teams are discussing plans to sweep away rules prohibiting foreign investors from owning Bundesliga clubs, amid concern they lack the financial firepower to compete against rivals in the English Premier League and Spain’s La Liga.

Christian Seifert, chief executive of the Deutsche Fussball Liga (DFL), the governing body of the country’s two top professional divisions, told the Financial Times that his organisation has “opened a debate” about changing the “50+1” ownership rule that means club members must hold the majority of voting rights.

In effect, the rule bars commercial entities from owning more than 49 per cent of German clubs in most circumstances.

The regulation, unique to German football, has contributed to a fan-focused culture, helping to ensure low ticket prices and the highest average match day attendances in world football.

Yet, there has been frustration at boardroom level, as the rule has dissuaded wealthy individuals and corporations from investing in German clubs because they cannot gain a controlling stake.

Mr Seifert said his organisation’s board has begun a consultation about altering the rule, ahead of clubs voting on the matter in the next month.

“We need to start an honest discussion … about the 50+1 rule,” said Mr Siefert. “We need at least to figure out if between radical positions — keep the market as it is, or blow it away and open up the market completely — there is a way in between.”

Pressure to alter the 50+1 rule has grown in recent years thanks tothe riches enjoyed by English Premier League sides, as well as Barcelona and Real Madrid in La Liga.

The Premier League’s 20 teams benefit from their share of £8bn in domestic and international broadcasting rights. The value of these rights may fall, after the latest auction to screen top-tier football matches in the UK recouped far less than the current £5.1bn contract, although bidding to screen matches for certain rights packages is still under way.

Many English clubs, such as Manchester City and Chelsea, have also benefited from wealthy foreign owners that have invested heavily in acquiring players. In Spain, Barcelona and Real Madrid benefit from receiving a larger slice of broadcasting revenues than their domestic rivals.

“When I’ve had conversations with potential investors, the 50+1 rule has been something that has clearly prevented them looking at Germany,” said Ben Marlow, an executive at 21st Club, a football consultancy. “[if the rule changed], I would expect to see a few takeovers in the reasonably short term.”

On Thursday, the DFL reported that teams in the Bundesliga, the top tier of German football, achieved revenues of €3.37bn in the 2016-17 season, a 4 per cent increase in revenues year on year. They will earn greater sums from this season, the first in a record four-year €4.6bn television deal with Sky and Eurosport.

Despite these gains, German clubs still lag behind the highest-earning sides on the continent. Though the Bundesliga is the second highest revenue-generating league in the world, only three clubs — Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke 04 — are among Europe’s 20 richest teams, according to Deloitte.

Mr Seifert said the DFL’s clubs will discuss compromise measures to the 50+1 rule, such as ensuring that club members are still given the right to block changes relating to “football culture”, such as the colour of team’s strip or moving a stadium to a new part of a city or relocating a stadium.

However, he warned failure to reform would lead to legal challenges to the rule by minority investors at German clubs who have grown impatient at their inability to control commercial affairs at teams. Twenty-four of the 36 clubs in Germany’s top two leagues must vote in favour for a rule change to be enacted.

“I think it’s fascinating at least to try to find a way that combines this very special German football culture, which is admired all over the world . . . with standing terraces, relatively low ticket prices, that welcomes the whole society into the stadium; with economically serious behaviour and opportunities to invest,” said Mr Seifert.
  • Upvote 1

Social media is full of dickheads though. It's lovely of you to stick up for her and that but I'm sure if it was breaking her heart she'd bin it off and not bother. I'd imagine her fabulous wealth is also of some comfort to her in the face of some glue sniffer making lewd suggestions.

Social media is full of dickheads though. It's lovely of you to stick up for her and that but I'm sure if it was breaking her heart she'd bin it off and not bother. I'd imagine her fabulous wealth is also of some comfort to her in the face of some glue sniffer making lewd suggestions.

She doesn't need any sympathy.  She wants to be seen, heard and admired on social media.

That's her funeral.  And yes, until she can't take it with her, I suspect the money is a very effective anaesthetic.

But the fuckwits that post sick, fucked-up crap in response are another contemptible kettle of piranha altogether;

• Upvote 2

Here you go..

Germany’s top-tier teams consider regulatory revamp to spur foreign investment

Germany’s top football teams are discussing plans to sweep away rules prohibiting foreign investors from owning Bundesliga clubs, amid concern they lack the financial firepower to compete against rivals in the English Premier League and Spain’s La Liga.

Christian Seifert, chief executive of the Deutsche Fussball Liga (DFL), the governing body of the country’s two top professional divisions, told the Financial Times that his organisation has “opened a debate” about changing the “50+1” ownership rule that means club members must hold the majority of voting rights.

In effect, the rule bars commercial entities from owning more than 49 per cent of German clubs in most circumstances.

The regulation, unique to German football, has contributed to a fan-focused culture, helping to ensure low ticket prices and the highest average match day attendances in world football.

Yet, there has been frustration at boardroom level, as the rule has dissuaded wealthy individuals and corporations from investing in German clubs because they cannot gain a controlling stake.

Mr Seifert said his organisation’s board has begun a consultation about altering the rule, ahead of clubs voting on the matter in the next month.

“We need to start an honest discussion … about the 50+1 rule,” said Mr Siefert. “We need at least to figure out if between radical positions — keep the market as it is, or blow it away and open up the market completely — there is a way in between.”

Pressure to alter the 50+1 rule has grown in recent years thanks tothe riches enjoyed by English Premier League sides, as well as Barcelona and Real Madrid in La Liga.

The Premier League’s 20 teams benefit from their share of £8bn in domestic and international broadcasting rights. The value of these rights may fall, after the latest auction to screen top-tier football matches in the UK recouped far less than the current £5.1bn contract, although bidding to screen matches for certain rights packages is still under way.

Many English clubs, such as Manchester City and Chelsea, have also benefited from wealthy foreign owners that have invested heavily in acquiring players. In Spain, Barcelona and Real Madrid benefit from receiving a larger slice of broadcasting revenues than their domestic rivals.

“When I’ve had conversations with potential investors, the 50+1 rule has been something that has clearly prevented them looking at Germany,” said Ben Marlow, an executive at 21st Club, a football consultancy. “[if the rule changed], I would expect to see a few takeovers in the reasonably short term.”

On Thursday, the DFL reported that teams in the Bundesliga, the top tier of German football, achieved revenues of €3.37bn in the 2016-17 season, a 4 per cent increase in revenues year on year. They will earn greater sums from this season, the first in a record four-year €4.6bn television deal with Sky and Eurosport.

Despite these gains, German clubs still lag behind the highest-earning sides on the continent. Though the Bundesliga is the second highest revenue-generating league in the world, only three clubs — Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke 04 — are among Europe’s 20 richest teams, according to Deloitte.

Mr Seifert said the DFL’s clubs will discuss compromise measures to the 50+1 rule, such as ensuring that club members are still given the right to block changes relating to “football culture”, such as the colour of team’s strip or moving a stadium to a new part of a city or relocating a stadium.

However, he warned failure to reform would lead to legal challenges to the rule by minority investors at German clubs who have grown impatient at their inability to control commercial affairs at teams. Twenty-four of the 36 clubs in Germany’s top two leagues must vote in favour for a rule change to be enacted.

“I think it’s fascinating at least to try to find a way that combines this very special German football culture, which is admired all over the world . . . with standing terraces, relatively low ticket prices, that welcomes the whole society into the stadium; with economically serious behaviour and opportunities to invest,” said Mr Seifert.

That will be shit if it happens and hope the fans rebel and stage stay away protests. The Bundesliga is a superb league to watch and the atmosphere helps this,it would be a shame to make it as sterile as the PL.

• Upvote 1