You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Hijacking the thread for a whinge. In cup matches, how many times do goalkeepers go up for set pieces at the end of a game thinking they're some dormant Alan Shearer, only to be as much use as a chocolate teapot and allow the other lot to have an easy goalscoring chance when possession is lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CxLG46OJ9Q

Two things related to time wasting -

1. The fact that it isn't punished. No referee ever adds on enough time to compensate. You can waste 10 minutes a half but, other than when there is a big injury, there is rarely any more than five minutes added on. Chelsea took it to the extreme of doing it from the first whistle. The game is essentially tilted in favour of sides that want as little actual football taking place as possible. Which, obviously, is a bit sad.

2. The idea that the best way to waste time towards the end of a match is to "go to the corner". It usually works for less than ten seconds, and ends up with the ref giving a soft free kick to the opposition. The best way to waste time is to retain possession. Is it easier to retain possession in a small space or a big space? Stupid cunts.

• Upvote 1

The way so many people on forums, or in newspapers get mortally offended by pretty much anything anyone does or says. They will dissect a comment to try and find any nuance that can be considered xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist, or just offensive.  My personal favourite is the discussions on forums as to whether or not a person should be offended by something. 

I just really fucking hate people.

Couldn't agree more, i seriously loathe this shit.

Fucking footballers, I cant stand them. "Have you heard johnson has only been offered 60thousand pound a week... He won't like that" and the thing is he probably won't, he will probably be sick to the stomach that he's only going to earn sixty thousand pounds a week for 4 training sessions and a 90 minute match usually. The pricks ain't worth it, the game ain't worth it, dads can't take their kids to the game anymore because ticket prices are fucking sickening yet we hear footballers deserve a slice of the money generated no they don't fuck them, you could offer these thick twats 40 grand a year and in most cases it would be more than they would earn in any other job they are capable of and they would still be lucky to earn that much for kicking a ball. Money is what's shit with modern football alongside players being shitter footballers with better fitness, fuck them. I hope the fact that dad's no longer take kids the game means the next generation seem less interested and football dies on its arse through greed. I want too build a block of flats right next to rooney manor.

• Upvote 6

Two things related to time wasting -

1. The fact that it isn't punished. No referee ever adds on enough time to compensate. You can waste 10 minutes a half but, other than when there is a big injury, there is rarely any more than five minutes added on. Chelsea took it to the extreme of doing it from the first whistle. The game is essentially tilted in favour of sides that want as little actual football taking place as possible. Which, obviously, is a bit sad.

2. The idea that the best way to waste time towards the end of a match is to "go to the corner". It usually works for less than ten seconds, and ends up with the ref giving a soft free kick to the opposition. The best way to waste time is to retain possession. Is it easier to retain possession in a small space or a big space? Stupid cunts.

All that is true. Also the unwritten rule amongst refs that you don't show the keeper a second timewasting yellow, no matter that he's taking the piss, pulled out a picnic etc.

On the subject of time wasting, I hate it when referees decide to book players in the last few minutes for time wasting when those players have been at it all game. They often decide to wave the card when it will have zero impact on the outcome of the game. Shithouse behaviour rewarded with shithouse officiating.

You see a player or players from one side commit a succession of fouls (some worthy of a booking) and the referee just gives free kick after free kick without booking those players. Then a substitute comes on for that team late in the game, commits a nothing foul, yet gets booked immediately. What the fuck is that all about?

• Upvote 2

All that is true. Also the unwritten rule amongst refs that you don't show the keeper a second timewasting yellow, no matter that he's taking the piss, pulled out a picnic etc.

And the fact they always get the first, at the very earliest, at around the 85 minute mark. I know not everyone would agree, but I'd have no issue with someone being sent off for time wasting in the first half, as long as the ref pre kick off was up front about how he was going to officiate the game. Mind you, I'd send players off for putting their arm up for a throw when they know it touched them last.

• Upvote 2

Having a matchball on a plinth in front of the tunnel as the officials and players walk out. If they were using just the one ball all game and there was something special or mystical about it, at least it would make a tiny bit of sense. The fact that all the players have a kickabout with a number of different matchballs just before kick-off means that it's highly unlikely the match will start with the same ball that was on the plinth. Pretentious bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Teams having a new 3rd kit that gets worn 3-4 times a season at most, and only because they have to wear it as part of some contractual agreement with the sponsor rather than because it's necessary. In Liverpool's case, the 3rd kit hasn't actually been used at all yet this season and it's unlikely to be used in the away fixtures at Palace and Bournemouth, because the yellow away kit will provide a better contrast to those teams' home kits. The 3rd kit should be the previous season's away kit and only be used if necessary.

User-created match highlights videos on Youtube and the like. You'll see a 5-minute video of the game with some cheap graphics containing numerous spelling errors along with some crap techno music. You already know the game in question had 4 goals in it but the highlights video will manage to miss the build-up to all the goals, show too many replays of the first couple of goals and the entire goal celebrations prior to the game re-starting, and the last couple of goals will be shoehorned into the last 30 seconds with no replays before the video ends abruptly. Shoddy.

• Upvote 2

Errr....I actually quite enjoy going to the game and look forward to each one I can get to. Sorry. 

I know what you mean. It's always been the same for me on the day. Being at the game around the ground among  fellow reds is the only time I have any affection for this modern football shite.

Other than that I agree with Bobby. I hope it goes to fuck. And soon.