You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Paying to stay on ticket lists/waiting lists for season tickets.

Thomas Cook selling tickets to foreign fans and charging them ridiculous prices for packages.

Cup Final tickets being given to sponsors, most of the time more are given to sponsors than supporters of the teams involved.

Players rolling around on the floor like they've been twatted by MMA fighters then getting up about ten seconds later with nothing wrong with them.

Replica footy shirts costing £55 quid when they cost about £7.50 to make.

People who play Championship manager and listen to pundits on SKY then suddenly think they are tactical experts and have a vast football knowledge despite never kicking a ball in their life.

Snobbery of super fans who look down on people because they can afford to spend a small fortune watching their team.

Supporters who are more interested in ridiculing other teams and gaining one upmanship over them than actually enjoying what their own team do.

Shite radio program's like Talksport who blow every minor incident out of proportion so they can spend 2 hours talking about it.

The FA Cup final kicking off at 5.15 because it suits overseas TV audiences

Doctor Troy knows. Bragging about going the game, when it's costs £50 a pop, is very sad.

• Upvote 2

And lets not forget.....playing music when a goal is scored. 

I watched the Ireland v USA game last night.  I'm Irish. Ireland scored.  "Fiesta" by the Pogues (A great song to be fair - but not then) started playing.  I immediately started supporting USA for the remainder of the game.

My dad stopped going to Parkhead for a season when they played the magnificent seven theme tune every-time Larsson scored a goal (which back then was every fucking game) 

Pissed him off so much that he gave his season ticket to his mate who had never been to scotland let alone to see Celtic. Fella goes every fucking game now. 

• Upvote 1

Fans who are purporting to support a certain team. Their team is losing with a few minutes to go. The TV camera trains on said fan, and they immediately go mad with joy and jump around like a kid on Christmas morning. Does my head in. They should be ejected from the ground, ideally from a height.

• Upvote 4

The manager tells his sub he's about to go on, but it takes about 5 minutes before he's even ready to come on because he's got to get out of his coat and tracksuit and put his actual kit on. Even longer if the officials have noticed that he's still wearing jewellery. Not only is the player extremely tardy but he's a wannabe Mr T. He's bound to have a shit haircut, a plethora of tattoos and multi-coloured boots too.

• Upvote 1

All of the above, plus Twitter and the 85-minute traffic-beaters.

Twitter is fucking murdering social aspect of the game, simply by giving the average mouth breather a public platform on which to vent their badly informed, rude, ignorant opinions. Of course there are exceptions like RobbieOr and a few others on here but it makes me spew that the likes of Gary fucking Linekar and Joey Barton think it's fine to publicly post their little spats with other fucktards from the world of football. Linekar comes across as a two faced little runt with his BBC face and his Twitter face. Twitter is fucking vile.

• Upvote 1

Seems it’s about to get worse.

I heard a quip on R5 yesterday that three o’clock kick-offs on Saturday afternoons in the premiership will be redundant when the new Sky/BT contracts are renewed. It’s not an attractive time to broadcast to the “Far East target audience”.

Starting matches at Mid-day is far more lucrative to overseas advertisers for which the Prem will be able to charge even higher broadcasting fees.

Worra motto: Fuck the fans, fleece the foreigners.

Seems it’s about to get worse.

I heard a quip on R5 yesterday that three o’clock kick-offs on Saturday afternoons in the premiership will be redundant when the new Sky/BT contracts are renewed. It’s not an attractive time to broadcast to the “Far East target audience”.

Starting matches at Mid-day is far more lucrative to overseas advertisers for which the Prem will be able to charge even higher broadcasting fees.

Worra motto: Fuck the fans, fleece the foreigners.

It's not peak time for Far East audiences, but 3pm matches not being allowed to be broadcast live in the UK is probably a bigger reason why Sky and BT want to schedule fixture at other times.

The way so many people on forums, or in newspapers get mortally offended by pretty much anything anyone does or says. They will dissect a comment to try and find any nuance that can be considered xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist, or just offensive.  My personal favourite is the discussions on forums as to whether or not a person should be offended by something. 

I just really fucking hate people.

• Upvote 2

It's not peak time for Far East audiences, but 3pm matches not being allowed to be broadcast live in the UK is probably a bigger reason why Sky and BT want to schedule fixture at other times.

Its why I prefer to watch German football on a Saturday afternoon. 2.30pm kick offs,loads of goals,atmosphere and homegrown players. World champs too.

What's not to like?

The way so many people on forums, or in newspapers get mortally offended by pretty much anything anyone does or says. They will dissect a comment to try and find any nuance that can be considered xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist, or just offensive.  My personal favourite is the discussions on forums as to whether or not a person should be offended by something. 

I just really fucking hate people.

I'm really offended by that.

• Upvote 2

So much true about what has been posted about the modern game.

A few things however I don't miss

Pitches like swamps

Orange balls and playing in the snow

Shit facilities at the ground

Passing back to the keeper endlessly

Cunts fighting

Jimmy fucking Hill

Pitches like swamps and orange balls in the snow were boss.

• Upvote 2

So much true about what has been posted about the modern game.

A few things however I don't miss

Pitches like swamps

Orange balls and playing in the snow

Shit facilities at the ground

Passing back to the keeper endlessly

Cunts fighting

Jimmy fucking Hill

Pitches like swamps and orange balls in the snow were boss.

• Upvote 1

Agree with pretty much everything on the thread.

Has anyone mentioned Cheerleaders, mascots or squad numbers yet?

Most of the things pale in comparison to how much TV has destroyed Football though & I remember my brother read a book about how Football has gone (don't remember the name) but the author had suggested that the authorities used Hillsborough in order to turn the game into the stale, middle class money making machine it's become in England.

• Upvote 1