You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Examples of the utter shitness of modern football are innumerable.

The most recent example is the "Ronaldo v Messi" friendly at old shitford last night, where thousands of willing imbeciles queued up to be gleefully fleeced of fifty quid to watch a pointless friendly, marketed as a footballing masterclass, but in reality was a kick-about by 22 millionaires, the two richest of whom were subbed at half time much to the collective disappointment and outrage of said imbeciles.

Fuck off.

• Upvote 8

The most recent example is the "Ronaldo v Messi" friendly at old shitford last night, where thousands of willing imbeciles queued up to be gleefully fleeced of fifty quid to watch a pointless friendly, marketed as a footballing masterclass, but in reality was a kick-about by 22 millionaires, the two richest of whom were subbed at half time much to the collective disappointment and outrage of said imbeciles.

Fuck off.

Bit like the Scotland v England game but without the masterclass bit

• Upvote 2

Fuck off.

Queued for 1hr outside Old Trafford to get pre paid £60 tickets. Missed entire 1st half. Messi and Ronaldo were taken off at half time.

lol.gif

• Upvote 6

if Liverpool were playing winning attractive football there wouldnt be threads like this.

I don't draw a correlation between Liverpool's success or otherwise and the shitness of the modern game. I've despised modern footie for years, regardless of how we've been performing.

In  no particular order:

• Knobheads filming the game, taking pics on their phones. "Oh look we have got a corner i'll just film Stevie G taking it" Just do one....
  • Pink, Green, Yellow, Red etc. coloured boots - it should be mandatory that boots are black.
  • Half and Half Scarves
  • Players ridiculous salaries
  • Ticket Prices
  • Blaring out music non stop before the game - ruins the atmosphere, Wembley in particular is terrible for this - stop it, let the fans create the noise.
  • The way the "Champions" League and staying in the PL has destroyed the Cups.
  • TV dictating the fixtures
  • UEFA Cup on Thursdays, just so the "glamour" games in the European Cup TV audiences aren't affected.
  • Teams failing in the European Cup dropping into the UEFA.
  • International breaks.
  • The atmosphere in grounds
  • Transfer deadline day
  • That shite generic Sloop John B chant which has been used by just about every clubs fans over and over again.
  • Upvote 14

And lets not forget.....playing music when a goal is scored. 

I watched the Ireland v USA game last night.  I'm Irish. Ireland scored.  "Fiesta" by the Pogues (A great song to be fair - but not then) started playing.  I immediately started supporting USA for the remainder of the game.

• Upvote 5

Fuck off.

I saw pictures of half and half scarves. Messi/Ronaldo.

Paying to stay on ticket lists/waiting lists for season tickets.

Thomas Cook selling tickets to foreign fans and charging them ridiculous prices for packages.

Cup Final tickets being given to sponsors, most of the time more are given to sponsors than supporters of the teams involved.

Players rolling around on the floor like they've been twatted by MMA fighters then getting up about ten seconds later with nothing wrong with them.

Replica footy shirts costing £55 quid when they cost about £7.50 to make.

People who play Championship manager and listen to pundits on SKY then suddenly think they are tactical experts and have a vast football knowledge despite never kicking a ball in their life.

Snobbery of super fans who look down on people because they can afford to spend a small fortune watching their team.

Supporters who are more interested in ridiculing other teams and gaining one upmanship over them than actually enjoying what their own team do.

Shite radio program's like Talksport who blow every minor incident out of proportion so they can spend 2 hours talking about it.

The FA Cup final kicking off at 5.15 because it suits overseas TV audiences

• Upvote 11

Remember someone telling me a while ago that one of the reasons Ferguson got fed up with Beckham was that his agent had told him that if he scored he had to not celebrate with the other players so they could get plenty of solo shots of him. 

I think there was a story about Ronaldo doing the same after scoring last season with Real because he's filming a documentary, all that shirt off, 'look at me muscles' stuff.

The weird thing about that generic 'Sloop John B' chant is that it doesn't sound anything like 'Sloop John B' from what I can tell.

A lot of the issues in the game simply stem from the chase for money to spend ever-increasing amounts on transfers, wages and agent fees. I want that bubble to burst sooner rather than later.

As for fans trying to lord it over other teams' fans, or speaking more about their hatred of other teams rather than their support for their own, or lapping up the tabloid-esque shite from the rags, Talksport, Sky etc, it's all just part of this relatively modern trend of trolling. I'm sure it existed in some form before the advent of modern media and social media, but these days it's become very much the norm and more widespread, and not just in football. Go on any social media platform, forum discussion, news website or just anywhere where users can post comments or partake in discussion, and you've find at least one cunt who is there to troll or shout their usually contrary views from the rooftops. These platforms have just made it easier for people to let others know just how much of a cunt they are.

Annoyed at the way a click-seeking random-bullshit-generating website usually called something like Eattribalgoalsport.com puts it's story out and all other football related websites publish it in their gossip page, leading to someone on a forum posting that the Guardian are reporting... Klopp to takeover at Liverpool and he's bringing Reus

• Upvote 2