You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car 'developed' problem whilst at garage

The Woolster

Beat me too it as I was also going to comment on the extremely noble profession of journalism. It's not like they ever make things up to lure people in and earn money.......

Journalists are twats though, I've only ever met three that weren't, and one of them was me.

• Upvote 1

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/consumer/services/8789.html

Also, only from Answers.com but covers the point I was going to make: What would break a drive shaft... "Bad or neglected U-joints, locked up rear end, extreme stress, extreme torque, sudden and complete stop of rear wheels while at high rpm. Severe imbalance condition, damage by road hazard." Seems like most are maltreatment, rather than wear and tear, unless they can show you where some has caused it to wear out.

When I am dealing with a mechanic I always drop a few inquisitive question which seem to accept what they are saying. What do they think caused it. Might else it have damaged anything else, if there's a potential problem I need to sort it (good line of questioning to lure the dodgy fuckers in...). etc etc. Make sure you make a note of what they said later. Are they online, if so see if they are accredited by any trade associations (if not ask a mate to call them on the pretence of needing some work done and ask). Then call/check online to see if that claim is true.

Also might be worth seeing if the association or your insurance firm can support any queries (in terms of when the damage happened and whose responsibility it is).

What is the car BTW, 4WD or 2WD, how new...

Its a 2WD Toyota Corrola Verso thats about 9/10 years old.

I went there this morning to see if I could at least see the damaged part, but they said I'd need to be underneath it to see it, the car was outside and all their lift things were full. Told him that I don't they've done it on purpose, but that it seems a bit of a coincidence and that accidents can happen etc. He hasn't taken it out yet, but he said he will keep the part to show me and that he expects that he'll be able to show me the wear and tear on it. He's said himself this is not something that he has seen for years, and that there was no sign of any problem when they test drove it.  

He assured me it couldn't have been anything they did, the parts they repaird are no where near the drive shaft and so had no need to go near it. I asked about the rolling road and he said that wouldn't break it and if it did it would only happen if it was already damaged. He's happy for another mechanic to come and have a look at it as they will confirm it. He pointed out its a family company and he would rather get our continued business every year than try to rip us off for a few quid, bla blah blah.

He said the part costs £207 (excl VAT), but he'll see what he can do on the labour side of it.

I did phone a trade body (not one they are part of), and they told me I should get them to put in writing what they fixed as part of the MOT, and what has broken, and then get a 2nd opinion. I also have legal assistance with my insurance and am waiting for a call back.

I don't really think there is much I can do though without proving that they were liable.

it's not easy to break a drive shaft unless it's already damaged. Slight corrosion can lead to a small crack, the a big one, and then snap!
Or if you slam the car in to reverse when moving at full pelt and in gear, which is unlikely. 

I have some sympathy with the garage here to be fair. Even if it went on their watch, it's just as likely it would have gone on yours if you had possession of the car at the time. 

PS - £300 is cheap as FUCK for a driveshaft replacement! Dafuck you driving, a go-kart?!

Mate's just been quoted £300 to fix an electric window, when he said he'd go somewhere else they charged him £80 for taking the car door panel off. 

I'd like to get all car mechanics in an open space by dressing as an old woman or a student with a relatively minor car fault that could be misconstrued as a blown head gasket, then do this. 

gif-machine-gun-354306.gif

The floor would be spattered with blood, poor quality motor oil and potpourri. 

• Upvote 1

Mate's just been quoted £300 to fix an electric window, when he said he'd go somewhere else they charged him £80 for taking the car door panel off.  

A year or so ago, one of my electric windows went. The electric motor was fine, but the steel cable for the mechanism had snapped. I bought a replacement part on eBay for £30, found a Youtube vid on how to fit it, and did the job myself. The only other thing I needed was a bit of wood to prop the glass on within the door frame after taking out the knackered old part, and the whole job took about 45 minutes. 

A year or so ago, one of my electric windows went. The electric motor was fine, but the steel cable for the mechanism had snapped. I bought a replacement part on eBay for £30, found a Youtube vid on how to fit it, and did the job myself. The only other thing I needed was a bit of wood to prop the glass on within the door frame after taking out the knackered old part, and the whole job took about 45 minutes.

Edd China will be shitting himself.

it's not easy to break a drive shaft unless it's already damaged. Slight corrosion can lead to a small crack, the a big one, and then snap!

Or if you slam the car in to reverse when moving at full pelt and in gear, which is unlikely. 

I have some sympathy with the garage here to be fair. Even if it went on their watch, it's just as likely it would have gone on yours if you had possession of the car at the time. 

PS - £300 is cheap as FUCK for a driveshaft replacement! Dafuck you driving, a go-kart?!

I phoned another garage to get a 2nd opinion, I've got a Toyota, and he did say they are known to have issues with CV joints which connect to the drive shaft, and also thought it unlikely that it could be broken by anyhting the garage did, but he's happy to look at the part once I have it.

Just gonna get it fixed and have a look at the part tomorrow

• Upvote 1

Well the ones who don't give a shit do. 

Ah so you think just because they wear gloves or put plazzie bags over the seat that they are somehow better? Those fucks charge you an arm and a leg, hook the car up to a diagnostic box and say 'oh its fucked. needs a new part costing eleven hundred quid. Bend over will you?'

The greasy hand brigade are the real mechanics who actually fix the broken part. Yes, they are annoying fucks for having dirty hands and yes, they have to be reminded but what did I say I was reminding them to have? Clean hands when they touch the steerie wheel and the like. Guess what? It works and I dont get ripped off for having to have a new expensive part fitted because the computer says so.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ah so you think just because they wear gloves or put plazzie bags over the seat that they are somehow better? Those fucks charge you an arm and a leg, hook the car up to a diagnostic box and say 'oh its fucked. needs a new part costing eleven hundred quid. Bend over will you?'

The greasy hand brigade are the real mechanics who actually fix the broken part. Yes, they are annoying fucks for having dirty hands and yes, they have to be reminded but what did I say I was reminding them to have? Clean hands when they touch the steerie wheel and the like. Guess what? It works and I dont get ripped off for having to have a new expensive part fitted because the computer says so.

What the flying fuck are you talking about?

Booked the motor in for its first MoT on Friday and asked for a service.

Then today on the way home the cunt flashed up a message saying a service is due. Gritting my teeth, it's never less than 200 nicker is it?

What's the going rate on a full service these days?

Always check what filters are included and how much are each equal too on the service, some of them are piss easy to change and you can do it yourself. Well if I can, anyone can. Except my mum, who can't even put screen wash in her car. Mr melons now does all this shit for me, my last garage service on the zafira (for fuel filters, oil change ect) about 3 years ago was the £180 mark, mr melons did the last one, the parts came to under £60. If you plan on using the car till its almost worthless you may as well learn these bits and do it? 

Its a 2WD Toyota Corrola Verso thats about 9/10 years old.

I went there this morning to see if I could at least see the damaged part, but they said I'd need to be underneath it to see it, the car was outside and all their lift things were full. Told him that I don't they've done it on purpose, but that it seems a bit of a coincidence and that accidents can happen etc. He hasn't taken it out yet, but he said he will keep the part to show me and that he expects that he'll be able to show me the wear and tear on it. He's said himself this is not something that he has seen for years, and that there was no sign of any problem when they test drove it.  

He assured me it couldn't have been anything they did, the parts they repaird are no where near the drive shaft and so had no need to go near it. I asked about the rolling road and he said that wouldn't break it and if it did it would only happen if it was already damaged. He's happy for another mechanic to come and have a look at it as they will confirm it. He pointed out its a family company and he would rather get our continued business every year than try to rip us off for a few quid, bla blah blah.

He said the part costs £207 (excl VAT), but he'll see what he can do on the labour side of it.

I did phone a trade body (not one they are part of), and they told me I should get them to put in writing what they fixed as part of the MOT, and what has broken, and then get a 2nd opinion. I also have legal assistance with my insurance and am waiting for a call back.

I don't really think there is much I can do though without proving that they were liable.

I asked mr melons about this as he's car mad and farts around with bangers before he'd ever buy a new car (he's also so tight he squeeks).  

Is it a rear wheel drive or a front? To ask to look at the part, even if it means getting under the car yourself then ask to look at any jacks they use to see if any paint has worn off. Ask who changed the breaks, see if it was one of the trainee kids ect. As Tomarse said, it's difficult to break them, you should hear a noise as you've been turning it when on full lock ect, also for it to be that broken that you can't move the car you need to check the gear linkage, you should have had some kind of motion even with it fully broken. All in all, it sounds really dodgy. 

Scout around, the parts do cost what you said, but companies have massive offers, we've just got the new timing belt for my bus for half of what we were quoted by a garage.  

• Upvote 1

Always check what filters are included and how much are each equal too on the service, some of them are piss easy to change and you can do it yourself. Well if I can, anyone can. Except my mum, who can't even put screen wash in her car. Mr melons now does all this shit for me, my last garage service on the zafira (for fuel filters, oil change ect) about 3 years ago was the £180 mark, mr melons did the last one, the parts came to under £60. If you plan on using the car till its almost worthless you may as well learn these bits and do it?

I asked mr melons about this as he's car mad and farts around with bangers .

Tell him to start treating them seriously Sherry. You're not a toy.