You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Guest davelfc

Which pundit suggested the move to 3-4-3 then?

Give the man some credit, he's a football manager. I think he does formations.

He just doesn't know what to do in order to get us out of this rut, so he's trying everything he can. That includes whatever some pundit suggests. It's a consequence of having an inexperienced manager who is having to deal with massive expectations, playing more than once a week with players that are failing to live up to their value. 

Which pundit suggested the move to 3-4-3 then?

It's probably his own idea after 3 months of pissing about with Balotelli or Lambert as lone strikers in a formation that didn't suit a single player in the team. The first half against Basle finally proving a final straw for him to change it.

It looked better against United but we lost 3-0. It worked well at Bournemouth and we won. Rodgers is upset because the media haven't given him enough praise for it because his name isn't Rodgerinho. 

If he could get it into his head that his job is to win games for Liverpool not getting personal praise and endorsement from the shitty media then he'd better for it. 

• Upvote 3

It's probably his own idea after 3 months of pissing about with Balotelli or Lambert as lone strikers in a formation that didn't suit a single player in the team. The first half against Basle finally proving a final straw for him to change it.

It looked better against United but we lost 3-0. It worked well at Bournemouth and we won. Rodgers is upset because the media haven't given him enough praise for it because his name isn't Rodgerinho.

If he could get it into his head that his job is to win games for Liverpool not getting personal praise and endorsement from the shitty media then he'd better for it.

That last paragraph nails it Ritchie.
  • Upvote 1

You rarely hear experienced managers talking about their systems and diamonds and flipping stuff etc. It seems to be the likes of Rodgers and Martinez, for some reason. When the experienced coaches do, it tends to be retrospectively when they have won something.

Everton fans also getting a bit cheesed off with Martinez and him describing average performances as phenomenal. All very familiar, John Henry seems to like managers that can talk a lot of blarney.

One example was when Carragher comes out after the Palace game and tells him to move Gerrard out of that midfield role, play him further forward and bring in Lucas - frozen out at this point - who can at least play the DM role. Next game and that's exactly what he does. Then Carragher says Gerrard needs to be rested here and there and have him come off the bench with half an hour to go. Next two home games and Gerrard's on the bench and comes on after an hour.  

I agree with you about moving gerrards position after carras comments, it did look suspicous but then again people had been saying it for weeks.Im fairly sure that was before the palace game though as I remember carra also saying balotelli should be dropped at the time but rodgers didnt.

Its a learning experience for rodgers he was getting big criticism from all angles about certain issues and it looked like he may have paid attention to it, he needs to stick to his beliefs and do it his own way, it looks like he has done just that recently.

I'm not buying that Rodgers is picking players and tactics based on the influence of hacks and pundits. By the time something like leaving a player up becomes obvious to Michael Owen I'd like to think out manager has figured it out as well.

You would hope so but he's not exactly demonstrated an ability to find his best team and set them up correctly, In fact I think his biggest failing is his inability to reconcile his ideas on how the game should be played to the strengths and weaknesses of the players at his disposal . You play the cards you've been dealt  

Guest davelfc

I'm not buying that Rodgers is picking players and tactics based on the influence of hacks and pundits. By the time something like leaving a player up becomes obvious to Michael Owen I'd like to think out manager has figured it out as well.

Probably a series of extraordinary coincidences, unfortunate that so many think otherwise. Let's hope the most recent pundit or tea leaves are on the money today,

Neither am I. Otherwise the TLW picks the team threads might actually bear fruit....

You rarely hear experienced managers talking about their systems and diamonds and flipping stuff etc. It seems to be the likes of Rodgers and Martinez, for some reason. When the experienced coaches do, it tends to be retrospectively when they have won something.

Or they draw them on napkins and send them to other managers explaining how they think the other manager set his team up to win a trophy.

• Upvote 1

Neither am I. Hindsight is a wonderful thing to hacks and pundits alike.

Id also expect a manager to stick with what he believes for a number of games even in defeat.

Do people seriously think any manager on the back of a bad run says to his players 'Listen lads, you know the way I told you how we play, yeah? Well fucking ignore it all, we're gonna change it completely'?

I cant think of a quicker way a manager could lose a dressingroom being like that.

Makes you wonder why Klopp persists with his philosophy on the back of 10 defeats in 17 Bundesliga games. Of course managers vary tactics and formations, they do it all the time. Except some people say our manager 'stumbles across it' when he does it!

• Upvote 2