You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

I reckon if anybody asked Sanchez he'd say that Arsenal were just a better fit for him - manager, stadium, London, teammates, etc.; some combination of all of these led him there.

There's even a club called Arsenal in Chile, you know.

There's a club called Everton, to be fair. My grandad supported them.

Formidable.

If he simply just wanted to go to Arsenal, and it was as simple as that, then why did we waste our time with him and not just move on quickly if he had no interest in signing for us? One transfer target not wanting to join shouldn't ruin your whole season when you've got £120m+ to spend.

I don't know, maybe he really did consider coming here but in the end the factors I described, and others, tilted the decision in favour of Arsenal.

Isn't Sanchez' girlfriend still living in Spain?

Wenger actually got off his arse, stayed in Brazil for the World Cup and made the effort with Sanchez and his reps to convince him to sign. Then we jump in and decide "Sanchez would be a good replacement for Suarez" Rodgers signs off on it during his holidays with his new girl ad we're arrogant enough to think it's easy as that. But Wenger had already put the work in.

I remember Reina saying in his book that Rafa went on and on at him all summer to sign for him and wore him down. You really want a player you need to make the effort. That can be the difference between signing the player you really want and desperately grabbing what's left on the shelf. We usually go for the latter.

Wenger might have put the work in convincing Sanchez to sign, but while he was doing that we were still under the impression Suarez was staying put and thus probably had no interest in him at all. When we came to realise he wasn't, it was always going to be too late to convince Sanchez to come here. Especially as he had already agreed to join them before we agreed a fee with Barca if I remember correctly 

• Upvote 1

Wish Kenny had been given his 3 years. Then a comparison could be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have given kenny another year but looking at it after a upturn after the hodgson period the following season after kenny had spent big there was no progress in the league.We were not in europe and there was not big expectancy like this season, we wanted to be somewhere near fourth but were not.

Under rodgers after 6 months in to the job there was big progress being made and we surpassed our expectations the following season.This season we have gone backwards after being without our two star players but there have been lot more positive signs under rodgers then under kenny, the other difference is rodgers is actually the owners choice so they should give him more time then kenny who they hired because of the fans.

Nobody's criticising him for not being polite. He's being criticised for throwing a tantrum for not being hailed as a genius because he beat Bournemouth with a new formation. It's embarrasing stuff.

Throw in the Sanchez/Balotelli commentary and it's positively negligence. No alternate suitable targets. Accepting taking Balotelli knowing the lad couldn't do what you want and then trying to force it anyway. If he and the committee aren't getting any money in January then the reasons why have been laid well and truly bare.

Noone knows why he was brief in the confrence so I dont know why people would be criticising him for it.

He could be pissed with the media, he could have caught on to fans looking at every comment he makes to try use against him, whatever his reason I dont care and am not interested in what he says to the press.

His job is to coach and manage the team as the famous quote goes, I have no interest in what he does aside from this.

• Upvote 1

Noone knows why he was brief in the confrence so I dont know why people would be criticising him for it.

He could be pissed with the media, he could have caught on to fans looking at every comment he makes to try use against him, whatever his reason I dont care and am not interested in what he says to the press.

His job is to coach and manage the team as the famous quote goes, I have no interest in what he does aside from this.

It just seems to me he's 'lost' a growing number of fans and they want to criticise him for every little thing. So he was pissed off, brief, curt whatever in his press conference. So what?

Did these people say the same thing when benitez did his 'mr ferguson' thing? Did they take the King to task for his constant jibbing of the sky reporter?

How is all this stuff embarassing? People just need to take a step back and chill a little.

Im actually comfortable that rodgers was pissed in that conference, it shows he is bothered and Id rather the manager showed a bit of emotion now and again instead of some of the deadpan, straight bat type of reaction.

It used to be that we got behind our own when the shit hit the fan, all in it together but now, we just seem to have factions all pulling in different directions What is the fucking point cos Im truely fucked if I know.

• Upvote 1

It just seems to me he's 'lost' a growing number of fans and they want to criticise him for every little thing. So he was pissed off, brief, curt whatever in his press conference. So what?

Did these people say the same thing when benitez did his 'mr ferguson' thing? Did they take the King to task for his constant jibbing of the sky reporter?

How is all this stuff embarassing? People just need to take a step back and chill a little.

Im actually comfortable that rodgers was pissed in that conference, it shows he is bothered and Id rather the manager showed a bit of emotion now and again instead of some of the deadpan, straight bat type of reaction.

It used to be that we got behind our own when the shit hit the fan, all in it together but now, we just seem to have factions all pulling in different directions What is the fucking point cos Im truely fucked if I know.

I seem to remember that a fair few did on here for one particularly awkward after match interview.

I'm with Kal-El on this one. I don't give a shit how he deals with these self-important tossers.

That Sunday Sky wankfest turns my stomach & sports journalism in this country is pitiful.

The printed media is dying on its feet & it won't have any effect on how many fans pass through the turnstiles or how many games we win which is all Brendan should care about.

• Upvote 1

Wenger might have put the work in convincing Sanchez to sign, but while he was doing that we were still under the impression Suarez was staying put and thus probably had no interest in him at all. When we came to realise he wasn't, it was always going to be too late to convince Sanchez to come here. Especially as he had already agreed to join them before we agreed a fee with Barca if I remember correctly 

Mate, if anyone thought Suarez was staying after the previous years antics then they need their heads testing.

Mate, if anyone thought Suarez was staying after the previous years antics then they need their heads testing.

Maybe, but maybe he could have told of his desire to leave at the end of the season rather than a week or so into the transfer market. 

We obviously fucked up and we should have been prepared for this, but if he came out before the world cup and said 'I'd like to leave' we might have faired a little better in our transfer dealings. Supposedly he never said he was staying, but he did sign that new contract in January or whatever it was and said all the right things 

Maybe, but maybe he could have told of his desire to leave at the end of the season rather than a week or so into the transfer market. 

We obviously fucked up and we should have been prepared for this, but if he came out before the world cup and said 'I'd like to leave' we might have faired a little better in our transfer dealings. Supposedly he never said he was staying, but he did sign that new contract in January or whatever it was and said all the right things 

A new contract with a release clause. Surely that gives it away. If the club weren't preparing for him to leave then they were idiots.

• Upvote 1

Self-pity never looks good, given the current situation and all of our problems the last thing he should be worried about is whether the media is hailing his tactical genius vs Bournemouth. 

Especially when they have been licking his arse majority of the time he has been here. A foreign manager and they would have been calling for him to be sacked halfway through the first season.

Maybe thats it, he is surprised that they can turn so quickly.

• Upvote 1

If he simply just wanted to go to Arsenal, and it was as simple as that, then why did we waste our time with him and not just move on quickly if he had no interest in signing for us? One transfer target not wanting to join shouldn't ruin your whole season when you've got £120m+ to spend.

My theory as I have said a number of times is that Barca encouraged us to think Sanchez could be diverted to Anfield in order to get the Suarez deal to a point of no return , We are complete amateurs in comparison to the two Spanish giants and we get screwed every time they come knocking. 

He signed a contract with a transparent release clause in it which basically meant if Real or Barca came in for him in the summer he was out the door. 

A new contract with a release clause. Surely that gives it away. If the club weren't preparing for him to leave then they were idiots.

A lot of contracts have releases clauses these days. Especially players playing for clubs with no guarantee of CL football. 

There's no debating the club are idiots, but if we got indication from the player or agent he wanted to move on we could have struck up a deal with Barca before Arsenal had the chance. There's many things to be angry and frustrated about this season, but I think Sanchez was out of our control considering the situation 

'Stumbled on a formation'? Fuck off with that shit. You were moaning about him not making changes a while ago. Then when he makes changes he 'stumbles' upon it. Ha fucking ha.

You're giving him to much credit.

Even when he stumbles on something, he turns the rock back over and moves on.

Witness Kolo and Lucas after Madrid.

So if we, for arguments sake, accept that he has now "cracked it", with no out and out striker, what will you say tomorrow, if Balotelli Borini or Lambert starts ahead of say Markovic?

Rinse and repeat all the way through the side.

He has given himself NO base to work from this season.

Especially when they have been licking his arse majority of the time he has been here. A foreign manager and they would have been calling for him to be sacked halfway through the first season.

Maybe thats it, he is surprised that they can turn so quickly.

There were calls for his head in the first six months, he was also making similar comments last season and not getting criticised when he was saying things would be tougher for him because he had no playing history meaning people would jump on him quicker because of no proven history.

Hes right about the foreign comment anyway, Sam sets up defensively against Chelsea last season and is criticised for playing stone age football when mourinho done the same at anfield last year he was praised as some kind of tactical genius.

Im actually comfortable that rodgers was pissed in that conference

I don't think that anyone has suggested he was pissed. Curt and terse maybe.

Although I have my doubts about Rodgers I never dwell too much about pre match pressers. There is only so much anyone can say.

I continue to believe he has talent as a coach, but that it would be best if he were not on the transfer committee at all.

It's not that he's being short with them per se that people have an issue with, it's the way he's carried himself and the circumstances he's reacting to. He's come across like a moody teenager, in response to what under the circumstances is very mild criticism.

The foreign manager comment is embarrassing, it's the sort of thing that Allardyce and Moyes get ridiculed for on here. A foreign manager would have been torn to shreds for doing so badly after spending so much money. Rodgers has got off extremely lightly so far.

I'm surprised he's hit out like this when he's usually so composed, I suspect this is about more than just the media treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if he's had some bad news about the transfer window.

Its a good point, its a worrying one in regards to the size of his ego.

The press havent even started on Rodgers yet, He has had a very easy ride because he is an British coach. 

I bought a paper the other week and the back page had headlines giving Van gaal and Pochettino stick whilst a piece on Rodgers was far less scathing.

Yet Van Gaal and Pochettino had been at their respective clubs for 3 months not 2 and a half years.

If he is reacting like this now, how will he react when they really twist the knife, because when they want to, they will...