You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Manager reaction

Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool

Posted at

22:04More from Brendan Rodgers: "We showed wonderful resilience and scored two good goals.

"I picked players I know what they are capable of. In time the new players will adapt to how we work. This is a real confidence boost for us, because Ludogorets are a really difficult team to play against."

That's not what a Liverpool manager should be saying immediately after his team failed to win a game for the 7th time in 8 matches.

The most infuriating thing about all of this, is the vicious circle we're getting ourselves into again. 

If we're thinking modular here, the sections of our teamsheet can be individualised. For them to work cohesively, the surrounding parts need to be functioning just as well as, if not better than the sole part. With no traction, responsibility or control, each part has become immensely frail, nervous and uncontrollable causing the unit to misfire. 

It's about time we thought about fundamentals and worked on one component at a time. The most important section is simply, our back line. Forget the midfield and the attack, lets work on building a clean sheet. 

There is where (if you haven't already) you'll probably disagree with me. 

It's time to really look at ourselves as a fanbase and (sorry to be cheesy) really understand what it means to say the words, "You'll Never Walk Alone". Whether it's thick or thin, successful, or difficult, we need to start helping and encouraging the discourse of this looping circle. 

That means; 

Support Mig (whether or not you think he's shit) 

Support our chosen back line (whether or not you think they're shit) 

Support our chosen DM (whether or not you think he's shit/done) 

For the team, it means defending as a unit, to know which part they are, who's job it is to do what and really dig in deep. 

It won't be pretty, it'll be a little nerve-racking but it's the foundation and the icing and decoration will come later. 

Alternatively, we can all just sit here, scapegoat, ridicule and bitch about why it's not all going so well. Call for the managers head and restart this all over again and wonder why we're still shit after another attempt at a "quick fix". 

That's not what a Liverpool manager should be saying immediately after his team failed to win a game for the 7th time in 8 matches.

He really seems out of his depth in this competition, clueless. I know all managers talk a load of bollocks to the media but if someone said those quotes were Hodgson's, nobody would have been surprised.

So we're supposed to act like a sunday league manager and rip the players a new one in public? Is that how low we've dropped, expecting the manager to publically rebuke the players to satisfy the masses?

Yep, that would certainly enhance morale.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tired of this transfer budget shite.

FSG are the main responsible for this. They got a manager who won't tell them no and they impose their distorted view of football and moneyball bollocks on our transfer policy.

Rodgers transfer budget will be the size of JW's penis. Non-existent.

Isn't moneyball about buying cheap young and inexperienced players? We buy expensive younng and inexperienced players. If it's moneyball we're involved in, we're missing one fundamental aspect of it.

I think FSG are most likely waiting for then of the CL group to decide what to do with Rodgers. I'm fairly sure that if he is still here in January his transfer budget will not be very big at all.

I think when you take into account how funds were squandered in the summer, I think they'd be well within their rights to not open up the cheque book. Markovich being a prime example. Whether he's up to it or not, who'd know?

I was puzzled by the moreno sub. I would have liked to see lallana given the nod.

Lucas shored up the defence even if toure tried to undo the hard work. Overall, Id say he had a good game though despite the heart stopping moments. mignolet didnt have any issues apart from that first goal. Any keeper can throw one like that but its just not doing his reputation any good.

Pleased lambert got another goal was unlucky not to get a second. That one on one with the keeper by sterling was a massive moment.

Can we do basle 2-0? Have my doubts but you got to hope.

We dont need to beat them 2-0, a win will do, we're only two points off them

It's time to really look at ourselves as a fanbase and (sorry to be cheesy) really understand what it means to say the words, "You'll Never Walk Alone". Whether it's thick or thin, successful, or difficult, we need to start helping and encouraging the discourse of this looping circle. 

That means; 

Support Mig (whether or not you think he's shit) 

Support our chosen back line (whether or not you think they're shit) 

Support our chosen DM (whether or not you think he's shit/done) 

I'm sorry, but you can get yourself right on back to RAWK with this as far as I'm concerned.

How is it so hard for some people to understand the difference between support in the ground and support on a football forum?  If I'm at Anfield and Mignolet makes a mistake or has a nervy moment, you can bet I'll be supporting him.  If Lovren passes straight to the opposition when I'm in the stands, you won't get anything but support from me.  If I watch some no-mark Bulgarian coast past Gerrard with the ball, 5 minutes later I'll be singing with everyone else about how "fucking hard" he is.

However, the day after the game, on TLW, I'll be telling the truth.  I don't expect it will affect Gerrard's performances, because I hope he's not on here reading what I have to say about him.  If the truth is that he was poor (and it is), then I'm going to say so.  I don't need some super-fan talking about "never walking alone" because I said that our defense is shocking at set pieces.  It is shocking!  Telling the truth when we're terrible is not the same as not supporting the team, at least not when we're talking about what is said online.

• Upvote 5

Isn't moneyball about buying cheap young and inexperienced players? We buy expensive younng and inexperienced players. If it's moneyball we're involved in, we're missing one fundamental aspect of it.

Expensive up front but the wages they're on make up for it in the long run. 

In fairness I don't really think it matters what he says, some people will still use whatever he says to slaughter him.

We're absolutely fucking awful so obviously we're, and Rodgers in particular, in the spotlight even more than usual. When the team is doing well you can talk all the bollocks you want. So his two options are either get us winning again (I vote for this one) or be extremely careful about what he says. When we've just chucked away two points against some fucking third rate Bulgarian side, in no small part down to his own terrible decisions, it sounds ridiculous when you call the performance outstanding. It sounds like the sort of rubbish that Hodgson used to come out with, constantly lowering expectations. Now, fair enough, I don't particularly want him tearing strips out of the side publicly either, but it wouldn't be too difficult to find some balance in between.

Ultimately, I don't really care. I just fear that he's entering that twilight zone that every single one of our managers in the last 20 odd years did in their final few months. You don't believe them, and they don't believe themselves.

• Upvote 4

Reading his post match comments he's fucking deluded. If (not even a big if) we keep conceding goals like we are, and carry on attacking in the same uncoordinated, toothless way, theirs only one place we're heading for.

I've seen a few criticising him for his comments last night and don't understand why, he's being positive and supporting the players, criticising them after last night would not have made sense to me.

It worked well for him over the time he's been here always saying positive things even in poor performances, managers like Martinez are praised for this and had success a couple of years ago at Wigan when he stayed positive throughout their terrible season and in the end the players performed and they stayed up.

We're absolutely fucking awful so obviously we're, and Rodgers in particular, in the spotlight even more than usual. When the team is doing well you can talk all the bollocks you want. So his two options are either get us winning again (I vote for this one) or be extremely careful about what he says. When we've just chucked away two points against some fucking third rate Bulgarian side, in no small part down to his own terrible decisions, it sounds ridiculous when you call the performance outstanding. It sounds like the sort of rubbish that Hodgson used to come out with, constantly lowering expectations. Now, fair enough, I don't particularly want him tearing strips out of the side publicly either, but it wouldn't be too difficult to find some balance in between.

Ultimately, I don't really care. I just fear that he's entering that twilight zone that every single one of our managers in the last 20 odd years did in their final few months. You don't believe them, and they don't believe themselves.

Jair he's a master at lowering expectations. People have short memories if they forget the things he was saying in his first season "i need at least 6 months to instil a philosophy" he basically got a bye because of what he said during that time, we were playing Joe Allen as a DM and getting soundly beaten by the likes of Hull.

Yet he'd come out every week with things like "tremendous" "proud of the group" and such and we all lapped it up because we believed in him. Now there is no-where to hide, you can't talk about how "wonderful" we are against Bulgarian cannon fodder when we botch the job, or go to Real and play like shithouse's when your the manager of one of the biggest clubs in world football. Now we see the bullshit for what it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How anybody can doubt it's Code is beyond me, he's obviously promised Dave he'll tone it down and he has done to be fair. I've no problem with him anyway, I've always liked the mad bastard.

Code talks some sense some times and has interesting points, he fucks up when he ignores facts to support some opinions he has.

Denny said the other day Rodgers should stay until the end of the season which is the common sense thing to do, normally code would ignore logic and just be saying Rodgers is shit get him out etc, when he disscusses things without trying to force his opinions or force his beliefs he's a good poster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"It's WONDERFUL to have the opportunity of going through to the last 16, despite the fact that, as anyone can see, we haven't been anywhere near our best so far this season, in Europe or domestically. I believe these lads can go on and do the business at Anfield in a fortnight... and give us the opportunity to go into the New Year and maybe show what I think our side is capable of."

Something like that might have been positive, forward-thinking, supportive and not bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Jair he's a master at lowering expectations. People have short memories if they forget the things he was saying in his first season "i need at least 6 months to instil a philosophy" he basically got a bye because of what he said during that time, we were playing Joe Allen as a DM and getting soundly beaten by the likes of Hull.

Yet he'd come out every week with things like "tremendous" "proud of the group" and such and we all lapped it up because we believed in him. Now there is no-where to hide, you can't talk about how "wonderful" we are against Bulgarian cannon fodder when we botch the job, or go to Real and play like shithouse's when your the manager of one of the biggest clubs in world football. Now we see the bullshit for what it is.

Was it not just that we had more hope? I can't remember ever liking any of the "management speak". To use the England cricket team as an example, they're exactly the same. Plenty of "getting drinks on board" "putting it the right areas" "creating a culture", etc, etc. Just meaningless fucking drivel. But I thought as much when we were one of the best sides around three/four years ago, as I do now we're shite. 

The difference is the hope has gone. You can spout your bollocks when you've got a relatively clean slate. I think part of the difference comes from the manager. I reckon he bought into all the guff he was saying, possibly even at the expense of doing some of the more discernible aspects of management. Like drilling a back four, or signing some footballers good enough to play for the club. Overachieving last season will have cemented the validity of some of the things he says. To him, anyway. Whilst we were excellent last year, it was a freak second half of the season. We had very few injuries to key players, were still shit at defending, still had lots of mediocre players in the side, often reliant on the best player on the planet, playing a midfield system and personnel that wasn't going to be sustainable long term. Now that we're in the shit, I don't know that he has the tools to rectify the situation. I really hope he does, and can appreciate that much of what I've written would suggest otherwise, but the last thing I want is yet another period of fucking transition. Especially as I have no faith at all in the owners to appoint someone capable of managing this club.

• Upvote 1

Code talks some sense some times and has interesting points, he fucks up when he ignores facts to support some opinions he has.

Denny said the other day Rodgers should stay until the end of the season which is the common sense thing to do, normally code would ignore logic and just be saying Rodgers is shit get him out etc, when he disscusses things without trying to force his opinions or force his beliefs he's a good poster.

Haha only Nighcat could be worse equipped to pass comment on someone being a good poster or not on here than you!!!!