You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter coats and jackets

Mike D

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Looks like a drug dealing little scrote.

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont think it gets cold enough for a heavy coat in most of the UK any more. Rainproof,wind resistant and light are the requirements nowadays. Some stuff looks great but just not practical over here.

Yeah I've got a couple of heavy parkas in the loft, I'd only wear them if I was stood out in the cold literally all day, they're bulky as fuck. 

40 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Nice. Looks expensive, was it?

Pretty expensive, roughly the same price as your Filson Mackinaw although I got a 20% discount. But I’m now at a point in my life where I’m prepared to spend a bit extra on coats, boots and similar so long as they are of sufficient quality that I know I can get at least 20 years out of them. And I no longer give a fuck about fashion so I don’t need to worry about getting new stuff every year or two

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Thinking about buying a Buffalo Special 6 smock jacket for cold weather walks. Quite expensive so does anyone have any experience of the Special 6 or of any other Buffalo jackets?

They’re not waterproof, are they? Waterproof fabric is essential for walking in this country, in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Thinking about buying a Buffalo Special 6 smock jacket for cold weather walks. Quite expensive so does anyone have any experience of the Special 6 or of any other Buffalo jackets?

I've had my Buffalo MTB shirt for over 20 years now. Still keeps the wind out a treat. I wash it annually in Nikwax tec-wash so it beads the worst of the rain off. It's designed to be worn over a light fleece so if you do get wet you'll dry out very quickly, so fine for showery weather. They're a proper job and if you look after it, will look after you.

Paramo do decent outdoors gear too and might be worth a look, Expensive, but ethically sourced and manufactured. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, cochyn said:

I've had my Buffalo MTB shirt for over 20 years now. Still keeps the wind out a treat. I wash it annually in Nikwax tec-wash so it beads the worst of the rain off. It's designed to be worn over a light fleece so if you do get wet you'll dry out very quickly, so fine for showery weather. They're a proper job and if you look after it, will look after you.

Paramo do decent outdoors gear too and might be worth a look, Expensive, but ethically sourced and manufactured. 

Thanks mate. What does the MTB stand for btw?

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Thanks mate. What does the MTB stand for btw?

MounTain Bike. It's just an unlined shell/shirt that buckles 'neath the taint. but it works a treat with an underlayer. They do a road bike version of it now, £220 though. Ouch. And it's in yellow.

You've got me looking at Buffalo gear now. Because the 19 coats I have are just not enough..

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, cochyn said:

MounTain Bike. It's just an unlined shell/shirt that buckles 'neath the taint. but it works a treat with an underlayer. They do a road bike version of it now, £220 though. Ouch. And it's in yellow.

You've got me looking at Buffalo gear now. Because the 19 coats I have are just not enough..

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Special 6.

• Upvote 1