You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter coats and jackets

Mike D

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2020 at 21:19, Paulie Dangerously said:

I want a winter jacket, perhaps a wool greatcoat like I used to have which was smart as fuck. Everywhere online looks like shite. Where do people get decent jackets from these days? 

Got a decent one off the shoplifters a while ago, they're probably finding it tough now though i suppose. I'm glad I got it now as its a good one. 

Probably one for the you know you're getting old thread but I buy my coats in the summer and t-shirt and shorts in the winter. Got 3 Regatta coats for less than 100 quid earlier this summer.  Gave something for any weather. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

Probably one for the you know you're getting old thread but I buy my coats in the summer and t-shirt and shorts in the winter. Got 3 Regatta coats for less than 100 quid earlier this summer.  Gave something for any weather. 

Ditto. Picked up a new Regatta winter coat and a Berghaus rain jacket for about half the usual price earlier in the year. It's years since I bought a good outdoor winter jacket and figured we may well be spending more time outside this year, so may as well invest early! 

• Upvote 1

Another one for the getting older thread but style doesn't feature at all now in my winter jacket buying. I've got an Italian moleskin coat and rarely ever wear it, wear a padded faux down coat instead most of the time (the real down leaks like fuck). 

Years ago I would have been decked out in a nice peacoat or great coat, but these days I just wanna be warm and dry.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Another one for the getting older thread but style doesn't feature at all now in my winter jacket buying. I've got an Italian moleskin coat and rarely ever wear it, wear a padded faux down coat instead most of the time (the real down leaks like fuck). 

Years ago I would have been decked out in a nice peacoat or great coat, but these days I just wanna be warm and dry.

I’m a stylish, warm coat and brolly man. I’m not really fan of waterproof jackets, as even the most breathable ones make me sweat.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A decent peacoat is both warm and dry. 

You can get Regatta coats now that are like leccy blankets, complete with heating elements and battery. Bit OTT, for me. 

All my winter coats from last year are too big now, so I've just bought a new parka. Waterproof and insulated. Only from Gap. Got it because it was 40% off and I'm planning on losing more beef, so didn't want to spend too much if I'll have to (hopefully) buy a new, smaller coat again next winter. 

55 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Try a proper peacoat made out of kersey wool then. The newer melton ones aren't bad either. 

Mackinaw is pretty good, too.

I like the look of this Stormy Kromer Mackinaw wool coat. I’ve never had anything by Stormy Kromer, but have owned a couple of Filson mackinaw ones.

1435F43D-48B3-43AC-BA30-7B25AFEB2303.jpeg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

Much as I love Baracuta harringtons I find it odd when they add detailing from them to their other coats. Tartan lining fair enough but not too sure about the umbrella back, stand collar and out of place button pocket on that really. 

10 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Much as I love Baracuta harringtons I find it odd when they add detailing from them to their other coats. Tartan lining fair enough but not too sure about the umbrella back, stand collar and out of place button pocket on that really. 

Just think of it as an Arctic G9.

My Alpha Industries parka I bought in 2014 is still going strong so I won't be getting one anyway. I've spent enough on the Baracuta stuff.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I wouldn't mind a Peacoat, don't think I've seen one for ages, I suppose you can get them somewhere, I got me Dad one in NY about 20 years ago. 

• Upvote 1