You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

Guest Super Sub

The Mad Hatter Brewing Co by the Camp and Furnace is well worth a visit: they brew during the week and sell it at the weekend.

The last time I walked past the Baltic Fleet several years ago the had a micro brewery thing sticking out the cellar doors beside the pub brewing beer.

You used to be able to do a tour of Liverpools original dry dock which is preserved under the Liverpool One development. Book it at the maritime museum and students from the university take you round. Not sure if you still can but would recommend it to anyone.

They explain loads about how the city grew and have got all sorts of facts about Albert dock etc.

The dry dock is really interesting if your into that sort of thing. The gates are under the dock road on the Strand apparently and they've wanted to recover them for years but the council won't close the road to allow them to be dug up.

• 2 months later...

Any recommendations for Tapas in Liverpool city centre? Looking to book somewhere next month & a quick google tells me the Salt House is the best place.

Actually any other city centre recommendations are welcome, went to Delifonseca last time I was down with the missus & loved it but fancy trying somewhere else.

has anyone been in the Liverpool Pigeon in Crosby?  (this is Dr Troy country I think)

Yeah a good few times. it does shut very early, apparently its because the owners like to go to Stamps in Crosby village which i would also recommend. great ale, Live bands not scalls.

Also the 23 club on hope street, you have to go inside the clove hitch and then down the stairs...some boss ales in thee like

• Upvote 2

Yeah a good few times. it does shut very early, apparently its because the owners like to go to Stamps in Crosby village which i would also recommend. great ale, Live bands not scalls.

Also the 23 club on hope street, you have to go inside the clove hitch and then down the stairs...some boss ales in thee like

cool.  I've give them a go.  I've been in the 23 club.

Good call, mate, I was going to suggest the Clove Hitch. Great range of craft beers.

Has anyone been to Neon Jamon on the corner of Church Road and Smithdown Place?

It's a tapas restaurant, and it's fucking lovely. Boss atmosphere and really friendly staff. Me and my Mrs have been going there for a while now, we took some mates who had a look on trip advisor and apparently it's the top rated restaurant in Liverpool!

Be warned though, it's a really small intimate gaff and they don't take bookings. If we go on a weekend we usually pop our heads in and join the queue for a table. They take your number and give you a bell when your table is free. There's a decent bar a few doors down (called Schmooze) which is where most people wait.

Well worth a try. Proper authentic Spanish style tapas.

• Upvote 2

Elephant ok. Good value, nice food and good selection of beers.busy at weekend and some of the clientele are up their own arse and could probably do with a good slap if truth be known,yuppie types.some great pubs and restaurants in and around woolton though,spend most of my social time in woolton or town.not a great deal doing in halewood as far as pubs go now.,St Marks club off leathers lane,not bad, reasonable priced church club,eagle and child pub in village pub grub and not a great choice of ale,the dales club on okell drive estate,and the grenadier off markets lane,and that's it.,

The Gren has barely been a pub for 20 years, more of a war zone, straight out of mad max. It's replaced the bottle as the biggest hole in halewood after challenging for a decade, before the bottles sad demise.

Good to hear Woolton is doing better these days, normally end up in the Cobden for the midweek games when I can get home. Aldo is a regular.

Any recommendations for Tapas in Liverpool city centre? Looking to book somewhere next month & a quick google tells me the Salt House is the best place.

Actually any other city centre recommendations are welcome, went to Delifonseca last time I was down with the missus & loved it but fancy trying somewhere else.

La viña is superb mate, independent, been going a good decade or more, ace food and wine, plus short walk to the hole in the wall, lion and railway boozers.

• Upvote 1

La viña is superb mate, independent, been going a good decade or more, ace food and wine, plus short walk to the hole in the wall, lion and railway boozers.

That place looks great, cheers mate, I'll get it booked before I head down.

Any recommendations for Tapas in Liverpool city centre? Looking to book somewhere next month & a quick google tells me the Salt House is the best place.

Actually any other city centre recommendations are welcome, went to Delifonseca last time I was down with the missus & loved it but fancy trying somewhere else.

Lunya all day long 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know a rock pub in the city centre? I remember being in one in 2010 & it wasn't a million miles away from Liverpool Central but I can't seem to find it online, I think there may have been an upstairs.

I'm down on Saturday night & the Missus & I both enjoy a bit of Deep Purple & Steppenwolf after some nice tapas.

If they put Free Bird on there will be fucking problems though.