You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

A thread for restaurants, bars, attractions, parks, anything really that you like but that's off the beaten track a bit and maybe a lot of people don't know about. I'll kick off with a couple.

Woolton Cinema - a traditional independent cinema tucked away in Woolton Village, went again recently for the first time in about 20 years and it was class. About six quid for a ticket and they still have an intermission in the middle where you can buy a Cornetto, highly recommended.

Rococo -  Coffee shop on Lord Street next to BHS, it's unbelievably easy to miss as it's basically just a small doorway. But walk upstairs and the place is ace, a big sized coffee shop with a corridor that leads back and lots of little rooms with couches you can sit off and chat.

• Upvote 4

Egg cafe is it's own little niche thing. I remember going to a poetry night there, it was one of those open mic poetry things, i wasn't there for the poetry in fairness i was there for the carrot cake, but i got ushered into this small space to the right of the cafe to watch this spectacle as it unfolded. There was this really thick accented scouser reading what can only be described as a Dave Kirby poem, it could of been Dave Kirby himself actually, it was so long ago i can't really recall. 

What happens next is a couple of scall's poke their head through the entrance and start buzzing off this guy reading the poem, making weird noises and shouting things like "your poems shit lad". The workers at the restaurant are doing fuck all about it because they're all vegans and shit and don't believe in violence so they are just standing there. Another minute or so goes by before this guy just goes berserk and throws his notebook on the floor before sprinting after them. He must of chased them down the stairs and presumably all around town because he came back about 20 minutes later, looking very flustered, so for that reason Egg cafe.

• Upvote 3

Egg cafe is it's own little niche thing. I remember going to a poetry night there, it was one of those open mic poetry things, i wasn't there for the poetry in fairness i was there for the carrot cake, but i got ushered into this small space to the right of the cafe to watch this spectacle as it unfolded. There was this really thick accented scouser reading what can only be described as a Dave Kirby poem, it could of been Dave Kirby himself actually, it was so long ago i can't really recall. 

What happens next is a couple of scall's poke their head through the entrance and start buzzing off this guy reading the poem, making weird noises and shouting things like "your poems shit lad". The workers at the restaurant are doing fuck all about it because they're all vegans and shit and don't believe in violence so they are just standing there. Another minute or so goes by before this guy just goes berserk and throws his notebook on the floor before sprinting after them. He must of chased them down the stairs and presumably all around town because he came back about 20 minutes later, looking very flustered, so for that reason Egg cafe.

Is that the one just off Bold St?

If so then yeah, it's ace

Nice coffee shop on Smithdown Road called Oomoo, independent place where they make their own awesome cakes, including this little slice of heaven, a Reese's peanut butter cup cheesecake.

cake_zpsd018f936.jpg

Their chocolate brownies are also supposed to be lovely.

The Whistlestop Café on Picton Road does some superb full English breakfasts.

The Tavern on Allerton Road does amazing American breakfasts complete with pancakes and bacon, the waiter comes around with unlimited refills of coffee and tea too, there is always - always a queue though but well worth it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Lion pub, Moorfields.

I've mentioned the Lion before and its pies in the foody thread which are the best in town, anyway, go into the back in the seating area near the bogs, sit down, look up and just spend the next 10 minutes being amazed at the glass dome they have in the roof. It really is a thing of beauty. What you would call a little hidden gem.

There is also Queen Victoria's dick in Derby Square, but everyone knows abar that though don't they!

• Upvote 1

The Lion pub, Moorfields.

I've mentioned the Lion before and its pies in the foody thread which are the best in town, anyway, go into the back in the seating area near the bogs, sit down, look up and just spend the next 10 minutes being amazed at the glass dome they have in the roof. It really is a thing of beauty. What you would call a little hidden gem.

There is also Queen Victoria's dick in Derby Square, but everyone knows abar that though don't they!

The Railway next door is okay aswell.

Stig recommended this sauna to me off Old Hall Street,

I haven't been but he seems to love it there. Always talking about it he is, the facilities page looks a bit scary to me but what do I know?

http://www.splashsauna.com/Default.aspx

You are fucking disgusting

Was it you who sent me that in a PM last year? Cant remember if it was you or Turdseye. It was probably you because Turdseye is a wool