You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UCL - Madrid v Liverpool

Paco

Haha! Evans hasn't got a clue. So the side we sent out at Anfield was suddenly going to stop letting the Madrid midfield wander through it at will.

And in what way were Madrid vulnerable?

Of course Tony, whatever you say Tony.

Oh, and fuck off Code.

I'd like to know the answer to this too, Lee Dixon came to the conclusion that Real Madrid were there for the taking last night, no shit he actually said that on live TV after the game.

Good news we will not be punished by Uefa, even if our rep has taken an almighthy battering. But the bad news is, Liverpool are considering lodging an appeal and asking if we can skip the next two games and just take the Uefa money instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11210636/Liverpool-escape-punishment-from-Uefa-for-fielding-weakened-team-against-Real-Madrid.html

Don't like Evans, but I can't see he said anything wrong there. They have been beaten twice, Ludogerets gave them a good game too. After the game, I suppose you could say Madrid weren't really 'at it', so were vulnerable. The side at Anfield was set up all wrong. That's why we lost 3-0, and it's been set up all wrong for the majority of the season. Nearly everybody on here would agree with that one. Lovren should have been 'rested' before last night, instead of him playing through the bad form & losing more confidence, Johnson should never ever be a starter for us. Mario needs a partner. So, Toure should keep his place & Borini should partner Mario. It won't happen though, the 'rested' players will all be back on Saturday turning in the same turgid performances they have been for most of the season. We'll find out soon enough but Saturday's selection/performance will go a long way of gauging my opinion towards Rodgers. If he TRIES to come up with answers, fair enough, as maybe, he got a couple of answers last night. If he ignores them & just picks the same underperforming players in the same formation, I'll fucking combust

Good news we will not be punished by Uefa, even if our rep has taken an almighthy battering. But the bad news is, Liverpool are considering lodging an appeal and asking if we can skip the next two games and just take the Uefa money instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11210636/Liverpool-escape-punishment-from-Uefa-for-fielding-weakened-team-against-Real-Madrid.html

Yawn.

Don't like Evans, but I can't see he said anything wrong there. They have been beaten twice, Ludogerets gave them a good game too. After the game, I suppose you could say Madrid weren't really 'at it', so were vulnerable. The side at Anfield was set up all wrong. That's why we lost 3-0, and it's been set up all wrong for the majority of the season. Nearly everybody on here would agree with that one. Lovren should have been 'rested' before last night, instead of him playing through the bad form & losing more confidence, Johnson should never ever be a starter for us. Mario needs a partner. So, Toure should keep his place & Borini should partner Mario. It won't happen though, the 'rested' players will all be back on Saturday turning in the same turgid performances they have been for most of the season. We'll find out soon enough but Saturday's selection/performance will go a long way of gauging my opinion towards Rodgers. If he TRIES to come up with answers, fair enough, as maybe, he got a couple of answers last night. If he ignores them & just picks the same underperforming players in the same formation, I'll fucking combust

So we should have been more attacking, thus reducing the number of bodies in midfield, therefore giving them more space to exploit.

A bit like at Anfield then...

• Upvote 1

If Rodgers rested the players for Chelsea, it was a capitulation, as well as a piss take of the players he did send out.

If he benched the players because of their shit performances, then well done, Brendan. More of the same against the chavs, please.

Some enterprising journo should ask him, direct like.

Tony Evans, Twitter:

Wow. Loads on here seem to think that was some sort of success. Even Hodgson didn't lower expectations that much. Shame, because an off-colour Real were vulnerable. You people are talking Real up like they are a combination of Hungary 53 and Brazil 70. They've lost twice in La Liga this season. The won at Anfield against a shambolic side set up all wrong. Instead of 'resting' his first choices, Rodgers should have put together a team to neutralise them, get something if they had off day. Buy into the bullshit if you want, but this was a huge mistake tonight

Sure he didn't just tweet

Wow. Loads on here seem to think that was some sort of success. Even Hodgson didn't lower expectations that much. Shame, because an off-colo

?

Michel Platini says Brendan Rodgers owesLiverpool fans an explanation for making a raft of changes to his startling line-up for the Champions League loss to Real Madrid.

The Reds boss rested seven players for the 1-0 defeat in the Santiago Bernabeu, leading to questions over whether he had breached competition rules which state all clubs must "field their strongest team throughout the competition".

Uefa president Platini was asked about Rodgers' team selection during a visit to St George’s Park, the national football centre in Burton-on-Trent.

He said: “First of all, he has to explain to his fans why he put this team – not to me, not to you.

“Are you sure it was not the best team? How can I say that? The coach of Liverpool, if I say something, he’ll say, ‘Oh, Michel Platini, I put my best team of the moment’. And I would be stupid.

“If I am the coach of Liverpool, I say, ‘It’s my best team. How you can prove it’s not your best team?’ I can’t interfere with that.

“I think we give a lot of money to the national associations, to the clubs to have their best teams. But they want to win, everybody, because there is the prize money, there are many things.”

VIEW GALLERY 

Platini even joked that the team which lost narrowly in Madrid should have played a fortnight ago when Liverpool lost 3-0 to Real at Anfield, saying: "That is a good thing, because they put a better team now! Why they don’t change 15 days before when they lost 3-0?

“You accuse the coach not to have put his best team 15 days ago? I cannot say to that. It’s the problem of the coach, it’s not my problem.”

Liverpool put in a brave performance in Madrid and Rodgers later defended his decision to rest first-team regulars likeSteven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Raheem Sterling, Mario Balotelli and Dejan Lovren with Saturday's Premier League showdown against Chelsea looming.  

"The changes were to get us a performance and a result," he said. "We got the performance but unfortunately we didn't quite get the result. It might have seemed a gamble but to me it wasn't."

I said it on here before the game so not hindsight at all but I felt the team we put out was a better team than the one that faced Newcastle.  Johnson is shit, Gerrard is past it, Lovren...erm, Balotelli...erm, Henderson and Sterling out of form and Coutinho, well I probably would have started Coutinho but he wouldn't have fit into the formation we played as we would have had to stick him out on the wing in place of Lallana or Markovic.

• Upvote 1

you probably like platini now too

If you ignore the clickbait stuff, Platini just says none of my business. It is the media looking for a shit scoop. But if Rodgers wants to do some diversion tactics away from his shite results and tactics this season and change the news agenda. Maybe he could pick a fight with Platini like he did wih Hodgson.

What's that Platini thing from? It says he says Rodgers owes the fans an explanation but says nothing of the kind and seems to think the question is fucking stupid. Sports journalism is fucking atrocious these days. A weakened side? Yeah cos our first team is so fucking good.

"The Italian army has been criticised for using Vespa scooters against British tanks and leaving its Fiat puntos in reserve."

"The changes were to get us a performance and a result," he said. "We got the performance but unfortunately we didn't quite get the result. It might have seemed a gamble but to me it wasn't."

Rodgers makes his own problems. So a team expected to perform and get a result against RM at the Bernabeu should at least be expected to do the same against Chelsea at home.

With the exception of Marcovic, why not?

So we'll be unchanged against Chelsea then?

Regardless of the team put out the most depressing thing about the Madrid game has been the reaction of our support.

Trying to make out that a 1-0 defeat against a team that never got out of first gear, did the bear minimum and still managed 27 shots compared to our 4 is some sort of pyrrhic victory is beyond fucking pathetic.

It wasn't just the players who rolled out the red carpet for Madrid over the last two games.

• Upvote 5