You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Been trying to digest this all day. I am ten years senior to Stevie and simply put it is fucking gutting that he wont be retiring having only ever played for our beloved LFC. It is doubly frustrating that his impact for our great club seems unappreciated by even a single fan. Steven Gerrard YNWA.

• Upvote 1

Starting to turn into a bit of a cringe fest this, Facebook is full of it also, he's been in the very privaliged position of playing and captaining Liverpool FC I'd cut off my left testicle to have done that. He's been getting paid over 100k a week for years for that privilege and is now a Multi millionaire! (Not bad for a lad who grew up round the corner from me I'll tell you!)

Let's find somewhere for him to play to get another season out of him, all Rogers fault this! Fuck trying to build a young fast, attacking side. It's hard to get sentimental these days when your paying £55 to watch a load of millionaires play a game of footy!

• Upvote 1

It was lovely that he had that moment after the City game last year... in the middle of a hysterical, adoring Anfield... to gather with his Liverpool team-mates and perhaps be forgiven at the time for thinking, just for a second, that he was going to lift a League title.

It was touching distance, in every sense of the term.

• Upvote 2

Might get crucified for posting this one but fuck it:

If I could think of one word to describe Steven Gerrard it would be ‘passion’. He was my captain at Liverpool Football Club for six seasons and we worked closely together to develop a side that could win the Premier League and the Champions League. Without Steven we could not have achieved the incredible success that we enjoyed throughout those years.

The ‘Miracle of Istanbul’ was only possible because of him. Steven inspired the team that night, refusing to believe it was an impossible job at half time against AC Milan. He led the charge with a wonderful headed goal and showed the determination needed to win a penalty for our third goal. And when called upon to sacrifice his position on the pitch for the team he didn’t hesitate. It was the perfect stage for him to showcase his talents, and Steven and the other Liverpool players were rewarded with the European Cup. He nearly always thrived on the big occasion, producing one of the great FA Cup goals as we beat West Ham at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. And the partnership he developed with Fernando Torres produced some of the most exciting attacking football the Premier League has ever seen.

After hearing the news today that Steven will leave Liverpool at the end of the season I wanted to wish him all the best for the future and thank him for his all his hard work during the time I was at Anfield.

Liverpool FC is not just losing a great athlete, or a great footballer. The club is losing its ‘red’ heartbeat. Steve, remember, you’ll never walk alone. UwzhlUN.jpg

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/whats-on/liverpools-red-heart-steven-gerrard/178/

It's true what others have said, you can't really find anybody in the game with a bad word to say about him.

• Upvote 4

It was lovely that he had that moment after the City game last year... in the middle of a hysterical, adoring Anfield... to gather with his Liverpool team-mates and perhaps be forgiven at the time for thinking, just for a second, that he was going to lift a League title.

It was touching distance, in every sense of the term.

Your right, although he'll get torn apart for it by the fickle press and imbecile modern football fans it was a moment of pure unbridled emotion, pure honesty, very rarely seen in the modern game. He put it on the line there and i respect him for that because he could of just went back to the dressing room, but it meant so much to him, to us all really, that it was uncontrollable in that moment and he personified every fan watching in the stadium or on television screens around the world.

That's what being a fan is all about. It wasn't pashun in the contrived sense it was a life time of service to a club and willing them to succeed, it's a poignant moment and it shows him at his most honest, but also at his most vulnerable.

• Upvote 4

Your right, although he'll get torn apart for it by the fickle press and imbecile modern football fans it was a moment of pure unbridled emotion, pure honesty, very rarely seen in the modern game. He put it on the line there and i respect him for that because he could of just went back to the dressing room, but it meant so much to him, to us all really, that it was uncontrollable in that moment and he personified every fan watching in the stadium or on television screens around the world.

That's what being a fan is all about. It wasn't pashun in the contrived sense it was a life time of service to a club and willing them to succeed, it's a poignant moment and it shows him at his most honest, but also at his most vulnerable.

100% right. Thanks.

I felt more euphoric after that game than Istanbul.  

Premature though it was.

Flawed, but honest passion it was... everyone from Stevie down.

Proper legend.

Rodgers has wasted him in the last couple of seasons trying to play him like Pirlo, instead of up front. Just look at what Lampard is doing at City at the minute, and he's not good enough to wipe the worm shit from the dirt from the studs of Gerrard's training boots!

Why would you get crucified for posting that?

I've read words from so many current and ex team-mates/managers today. Stevie was fantastic under Rafa and they shared one of the ultimate achievements together.

Even acknowledging that the bloke exists has some on here frothing at the mouth still.  I think what he said there is great though.

That's my favourite one of the day, that.

Agree, it's pure class that.  I pissed myself at the idea of him giving it 'Hi, I'm Steve' like no fucker would know who he was.