Quantcast
Ballon D'or - Page 7 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Special K

Ballon D'or

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

With a name like Piers you'd think anybody would avoid the limelight,especially social media.

He must have extraordinary thick skin. He's forever being shown up for the cunt he is yet just steamrollers on. 

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I agree with this, he's clearly the best player of his era but of all time is quite a joke for me. I think he'd be fucked with the tackles of yesteryear. I suppose you can only compete against your contemporaries and only use the rules available to you though. It's basically a non-starter. The teams I've only watched on recordings got the shit kicked out of them and still won but I'm fairly certain with these rules they'd all be gassed by the 70th minute or so because of their lifestyle. Works both ways though, if those players had the same technology and fitness advice available to them whose to say they wouldn't be even better than they were.

Would be interesting to see how Messi would have coped with the kind of thuggish tackles Pele had to endure in the 66 World Cup. They probably would have broken him forever. Pele, on the other hand, came back to lead what was probably the best team I've ever seen and win the 70 World Cup.

7 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Would be interesting to see how Messi would have coped with the kind of thuggish tackles Pele had to endure in the 66 World Cup. They probably would have broken him forever. Pele, on the other hand, came back to lead what was probably the best team I've ever seen and win the 70 World Cup.

Pele and Maradona are on a different level to everyone else for me. I'm not sure that will ever be matched.

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I agree with this, he's clearly the best player of his era but of all time is quite a joke for me. I think he'd be fucked with the tackles of yesteryear. I suppose you can only compete against your contemporaries and only use the rules available to you though. It's basically a non-starter. The teams I've only watched on recordings got the shit kicked out of them and still won but I'm fairly certain with these rules they'd all be gassed by the 70th minute or so because of their lifestyle. Works both ways though, if those players had the same technology and fitness advice available to them whose to say they wouldn't be even better than they were.

When you remember, not just Dalglish and Barnes, but players like Best, playing in 1 foot of mud, with a rock hard casey at their feet, staving off tackles from hardmen, Messi doesn't come close in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Pele and Maradona are on a different level to everyone else for me. I'm not sure that will ever be matched.

And of course, those two. Man even Platini, Cruyff and Matthaus are better imho

Conversely, maybe those lads couldn't have dealt with running circa. 10km per game while being marked by modern, extremely fit defenders.

Nobody knows.

So saying say one is better than the other because of X isn't right.

• Upvote 2

Klopp says Messi is the best player he's ever seen. Pretty much everyone currently in the game, whether it be managers and pundits say the same. There's never been a player who can do what he can do with the ball and who also scores and assists at the level he has. Even though it's dumb to compare eras, it's pretty simple to see why most think he's the best.

Messi is the greatest, I think that will become even clearer once he retires and we can objectively look back on his career 

it’s not even about the numbers, the trophies, the longevity. Just look at how he plays the game. He’s on a different planet

I have no issue with him winning it but the way everything seems to be still tailored towards Real Madrid and Barcelona bugs me though. They were great teams. They aren't at the moment and it seems these awards and any sort of talk around them seems to have to include them like football isn't cyclical. Real Madrid had a few players in the UEFA team of the year when they got two more points last season than Man United did. It's all show. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Mane and Salah are off in January, we finish 5th, and Klopp leaves in the summer.

It's over.

Only fair, given it was all his fault. Probably best we sack him now and avert the impending collapse.

#KloppOut

18 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp says Messi is the best player he's ever seen. Pretty much everyone currently in the game, whether it be managers and pundits say the same. There's never been a player who can do what he can do with the ball and who also scores and assists at the level he has. Even though it's dumb to compare eras, it's pretty simple to see why most think he's the best.

I wonder how Pele and Maradona would have coped with the growth hormone?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wonder how Pele and Maradona would have coped with the growth hormone?

Pele would have taken the tablets, Diego snorted it.  

• Upvote 2