You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ballon D'or

Special K

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

With a name like Piers you'd think anybody would avoid the limelight,especially social media.

He must have extraordinary thick skin. He's forever being shown up for the cunt he is yet just steamrollers on. 

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I agree with this, he's clearly the best player of his era but of all time is quite a joke for me. I think he'd be fucked with the tackles of yesteryear. I suppose you can only compete against your contemporaries and only use the rules available to you though. It's basically a non-starter. The teams I've only watched on recordings got the shit kicked out of them and still won but I'm fairly certain with these rules they'd all be gassed by the 70th minute or so because of their lifestyle. Works both ways though, if those players had the same technology and fitness advice available to them whose to say they wouldn't be even better than they were.

Would be interesting to see how Messi would have coped with the kind of thuggish tackles Pele had to endure in the 66 World Cup. They probably would have broken him forever. Pele, on the other hand, came back to lead what was probably the best team I've ever seen and win the 70 World Cup.

7 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Would be interesting to see how Messi would have coped with the kind of thuggish tackles Pele had to endure in the 66 World Cup. They probably would have broken him forever. Pele, on the other hand, came back to lead what was probably the best team I've ever seen and win the 70 World Cup.

Pele and Maradona are on a different level to everyone else for me. I'm not sure that will ever be matched.

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I agree with this, he's clearly the best player of his era but of all time is quite a joke for me. I think he'd be fucked with the tackles of yesteryear. I suppose you can only compete against your contemporaries and only use the rules available to you though. It's basically a non-starter. The teams I've only watched on recordings got the shit kicked out of them and still won but I'm fairly certain with these rules they'd all be gassed by the 70th minute or so because of their lifestyle. Works both ways though, if those players had the same technology and fitness advice available to them whose to say they wouldn't be even better than they were.

When you remember, not just Dalglish and Barnes, but players like Best, playing in 1 foot of mud, with a rock hard casey at their feet, staving off tackles from hardmen, Messi doesn't come close in my opinion.

Klopp says Messi is the best player he's ever seen. Pretty much everyone currently in the game, whether it be managers and pundits say the same. There's never been a player who can do what he can do with the ball and who also scores and assists at the level he has. Even though it's dumb to compare eras, it's pretty simple to see why most think he's the best.

Messi is the greatest, I think that will become even clearer once he retires and we can objectively look back on his career 

it’s not even about the numbers, the trophies, the longevity. Just look at how he plays the game. He’s on a different planet

I have no issue with him winning it but the way everything seems to be still tailored towards Real Madrid and Barcelona bugs me though. They were great teams. They aren't at the moment and it seems these awards and any sort of talk around them seems to have to include them like football isn't cyclical. Real Madrid had a few players in the UEFA team of the year when they got two more points last season than Man United did. It's all show. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp says Messi is the best player he's ever seen. Pretty much everyone currently in the game, whether it be managers and pundits say the same. There's never been a player who can do what he can do with the ball and who also scores and assists at the level he has. Even though it's dumb to compare eras, it's pretty simple to see why most think he's the best.

I wonder how Pele and Maradona would have coped with the growth hormone?

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...