You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ballon D'or

Special K

The Owl trying to show how he has a deeper appweciation of the wudiments of football.

A cunt.

Ha ha,  Probably going to get some stick for this but I have a microscopic amount of respect for him for sticking two fingers up at the whole pantomime and not joining the Ronaldo / Messi wankfest . Still in the cunt category though

Ha ha,  Probably going to get some stick for this but I have a microscopic amount of respect for him for sticking two fingers up at the whole pantomime and not joining the Ronaldo / Messi wankfest . Still in the cunt category though

As do I. I actually like his selections.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

From what little research I've done, Cannavaro (2006) is the only defender in the last 40 years or more to win it, so clearly it's based on an extremely limited definition of what a great footballer is.

No sign of Baresi on that list either so Virgil's in good company.

39 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

From what little research I've done, Cannavaro (2006) is the only defender in the last 40 years or more to win it, so clearly it's based on an extremely limited definition of what a great footballer is.

No sign of Baresi on that list either so Virgil's in good company.

World Cup winning captain that year. Flavour of the month. 

Beckenbauer and Cannavaro are indeed the only defenders to win the award, and Yashin is the only goalkeeper. You get the odd midfielder winning the Ballon D'Or but it's mostly attacking players that are favoured. In the last decade it's been solely about what Real Madrid or Barcelona do, and since Ronaldo and Messi were scoring so many goals and winning so many trophies, they were the ones collecting the votes.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

And no way is Salah 3rd, that's purely due to his target market as well.

Cunts.

Finished top goalscorer for the second year in the PL. Won the CL and scored the first goal in the final. Helped his team finish on 97 points in the PL.

Who should be in ahead of him?