You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nivana Vs Foo Fighters

Remmie

83 members have voted

1. 1. Foovarna

• Foo Fighters
    • Nirvana

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You jammy bastard. Jammy jammy bastard. 

As for him. The jammy bastard. The jammy jammy jammy talented cool jammy motherfucking jammy bastard. 

Life happens.

Around that time I was in the right places a lot of the time, friends of promotors etc.

My favourite story though is my mate Big Al (He’s 5:4) getting booted out of slayer gig in Nottingham Rock City, for being biblically drunk, before the support started. He just ambled around until he fell over... on to Slayers tour bus door!

They let him in, drink with him, let him sit on the amps during their set, take him back to the bus and then just take him on tour for about a week or so. 

He lost his job, but didn’t give a fuck, still doesn’t. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Life happens.

Around that time I was in the right places a lot of the time, friends of promotors etc.

My favourite story though is my mate Big Al (He’s 5:4) getting booted out of slayer gig in Nottingham Rock City for being biblically drunk before the support started. He just ambled around until he fell over... on to Slayers tour bus door!

They let him him, drink with him, let him sit on the amps during their set, take him back to the bus and then just take him on tour for about a week or so. 

He lost his job, but didn’t give a fuck, still doesn’t. 

Hahaha thats brilliant. One Punch Jarv has got fuck all on Big Al. 

• 9 months later...
48 minutes ago, Pete said:

Foo’s. Whilst Nirvana are an incredibly important band they were the worst of the ‘grunge ‘ era. Soundgardem, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains far superior. 

All of those are shite though. Mudhoney, Tad and Killdozer are all far better. Nirvana were great at the time but I can't remember the last time I wanted to listen to them. Far more likely to listen to the 3 above or some early L7. 

11 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

All of those are shite though. Mudhoney, Tad and Killdozer are all far better. Nirvana were great at the time but I can't remember the last time I wanted to listen to them. Far more likely to listen to the 3 above or some early L7. 

Remember L7 on The Word?

Here's a little reminder!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Remember it well. L7 were great. Back together and were touring again before this plague hit. Still boss live and doing loads of stuff off Smell The Magic which I love. 

I didn't know they were back together.

I've lost track of a lot of music lately, my ears are fucked. Everything sounds like it's coming through a blown speaker, so nothing sounds right.

Horrible.

• 2 months later...

So, just listening to the 3 new songs the Foo's have released.

My thoughts on Shame Shame are above. Shite Shite would have been more appropriate.

Waiting For A War, according to Grohl is one of the best songs they've ever recorded. I disagree. I doubt it would even have made it onto the second CD of the In Your Honour album.

No Son Of Mine, which according to Grohl is a homage to Lemmy because he means so much to him. Really? Should have written a better tune. Lemmy wouldn't have tolerated those ridiculous backing harmonies.

No doubt they'll still put on a decent live show, heavily relying on their pre-2010 output, but this stuff sounds a band who have ran out of idea's going through the motions.

Their albums have always been very patchy IMO, but Sonic Highways, the Saint Cecilia EP and Concrete and Gold (I even had to Google their names then) are really poor and this doesn't sound much better.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you interested, allegedly the album is available from the usual sources. 

A friend told me Cloudspotter is the best song, No Son Of Mine is passable and the rest is forgetful in the extreme.

I’m concerned about this disco rock direction things are taking. There is this & Royal Blood channeling their inner AC/DisCo. Although I think the RB songs are actually Ok, I’d prefer them to have more crunch.

The last two songs above are okay, the one in the middle was good.

As a rule I never expect more than 2-4 really good songs on an album. I can only think of a handful albums where all songs are good if Im honest, most albums will have its shite and boring songs. 

Just now, Code said:

The last two songs above are okay, the one in the middle was good.

As a rule I never expect more than 2-4 really good songs on an album. I can only think of a handful albums where all songs are good if Im honest, most albums will have its shite and boring songs. 

Yeah I'd much rather bands released a boss album every 5/6 years than one with fillers that make the ears bleed/go to sleep. 

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

No question they are good players but the posts above would suggest they are going through the motions with their output.

Absolutely mate. It's painful. I haven't heard the new album but the last few has been full of very average songs that all sound the same. 

Have you seen them live? I think I've seen them 7 or 8 times at festivals and a couple of their own gigs and to be fair they are a superb live band. Grohl and Hawkins are boss 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely mate. It's painful. I haven't heard the new album but the last few has been full of very average songs that all sound the same. 

Have you seen them live? I think I've seen them 7 or 8 times at festivals and a couple of their own gigs and to be fair they are a superb live band. Grohl and Hawkins are boss 

Not my cup of tea at all Stig. I liked Nirvana at the time & think they were a very important band but I've never really understood what Grohl is trying to do musically with The Foo Fighters, it's all very bland for me. Having said that, he's selling out stadiums all over the shop so he won't be too arsed what I think.

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

Not my cup of tea at all Stig. I liked Nirvana at the time & think they were a very important band but I've never really understood what Grohl is trying to do musically with The Foo Fighters, it's all very bland for me. Having said that, he's selling out stadiums all over the shop so he won't be too arsed what I think.

Yeah I knew that don't know why I asked, thought you may have stumbled across them at a festival or something. 

They have put out some great songs to be fair. Not as haunting as Nirvana obviously. 

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Purely my opinion, but I’d go back to 1997 for their last consistently good album. 

As I’ve said throughout this thread (or maybe their own thread if they have one) but 3/4 good songs every album. The last 3 albums, that’s been reduced to 1/2 good songs. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Purely my opinion, but I’d go back to 1997 for their last consistently good album. 

As I’ve said throughout this thread (or maybe their own thread if they have one) but 3/4 good songs every album. The last 3 albums, that’s been reduced to 1/2 good songs. 

One By One and In Your Honour were decent. Wasting Light was as well to be fair but yeah all had a bit of guff in them. 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

One By One and In Your Honour were decent. Wasting Light was as well to be fair but yeah all had a bit of guff in them. 

Hmmmm.

One By One started well enough but I couldn’t tell you a song after Times Like These. Even Grohl doesn’t like that album.

In Your Honour, I don’t think I could tell you a song after Best Of You. 

Wasting Light, I thought it was boring but I appreciate Walk & These Days would be liked by the masses.

Although I get they are very good live, I think even their shows are bloated & boring now. I appreciate it might be great if you’re there, but I was bored watching them on TV at Glastonbury.

Fuck these 2hr 30mins gigs with a huge drum solo, acoustic section, Rick Astley & 20 minute medley’s -  strip 45 mins out the gig, get back to no fucking about and stick to the bangers.