Carvalho Diablo

Random musical chat.

I always thought Robert Palmer was shit, based on horrendous 80s pop songs.

Only just found out that his debut album had The Meters on the backing band, and is actually good.

E.g.:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I always thought Robert Palmer was shit, based on horrendous 80s pop songs.

Only just found out that his debut album had The Meters on the backing band, and is actually good.

E.g.:

Great record - his next one (Double Fun) is pretty good too.

The band on it is some of the guys from Little Feat

• Upvote 1

I've always wondered how someone can go from The Specials to Fun Boy fucking Three.

He must've been off his tits on crystal meth or something.

Oasis at their best. I now most of you can't stand them but for 3 years they were the best band on the planet

Saw this shared on Facebook the other day. I'm not a musician but I think her drum solo at the end is awesome. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/04/2021 at 03:39, Bjornebye said:

Oasis at their best. I now most of you can't stand them but for 3 years they were the best band on the planet

Nah, weren't even the best band in manchester for 3 minutes. Garbage infant-school rhyming couplets for 'lyrics' and Slade / Status Quo B-sides for music. 

The new Pharoah Sanders album, Floating Points is quite stunning,  recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra. If anybody is interested...

• Upvote 1

I'm probably not selling the song enough there. If you like your 60s west coast US stuff, and I'm including the likes of Love, it just might be your sort of thing. 

On 26/03/2021 at 14:58, NoelM said:

My friend John Murry has a new album due out in June, it's produced by John Parish (PJ Harvey etc) and mastered at Abbey Road Studios. The first video from it is below, directed by Mayor Carcetti himself (Aiden Gillen)

I listened to this at the time and really liked it, then kind of forgot about it, but it stuck in my mind and I kept finding myself singing the chorus. I’ve gone through his whole back catalogue and really enjoyed it, especially ‘The Graceless Age’ which I’d heard years ago, but again confined to the minds recesses. 

I love the sadness in his voice, the weariness,  the knowing that this isn’t everything, but it’s where he is, the knowingness to the melancholic overtones.

Really enjoyed it, cheers.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I listened to this at the time and really liked it, then kind of forgot about it, but it stuck in my mind and I kept finding myself singing the chorus. I’ve gone through his whole back catalogue and really enjoyed it, especially ‘The Graceless Age’ which I’d heard years ago, but again confined to the minds recesses. 

I love the sadness in his voice, the weariness,  the knowing that this isn’t everything, but it’s where he is, the knowingness to the melancholic overtones.

Really enjoyed it, cheers.

Glad you liked - the Graceless Age is a classic - I agree 100% with you on the voice.

First time I saw him live  in 2013 singing  "Things We Lost in the Fire" I was mind-blown. We chatted afterwards and are friends since, he's been living in Ireland since 2015.

The second single is pretty brilliant too - gorgeous backing vocals from Nadine Khouri.

https://youtu.be/-eW-UdsYhaw

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoelM said:

Glad you liked - the Graceless Age is a classic - I agree 100% with you on the voice.

First time I saw him live  in 2013 singing  "Things We Lost in the Fire" I was mind-blown. We chatted afterwards and are friends since, he's been living in Ireland since 2015.

The second single is pretty brilliant too - gorgeous backing vocals from Nadine Khouri.

https://youtu.be/-eW-UdsYhaw

Yeah, I really enjoyed the new album as well.

I'll look out for dates and hopefully I'll catch him live at some point.

• Upvote 1

On 01/02/2021 at 13:47, Carvalho Diablo said:

Really disappointed by Steven Wilson's new album The Future Bites.

It's nice, safe and fucking boring.

This is an interesting collaboration 

https://open.spotify.com/track/5gcXlBq5erIeR0ddxCYEU1?si=Vty2crHXRYGULSqCGBO9RA&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Just a minute into it and it's already a ton better than the original. Guitars!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just a minute into it and it's already a ton better than the original. Guitars!

He hinted at a few collaborations but not sure if they all were with Biffy Clyro. Defo hoping they are.