You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

26 minutes ago, Mook said:

Nice one, cheers.

I seen he was playing the two Mansun albums & I used to really like them so will keep an eye on that.

Yeah, Paul Draper did a poll and they voted AOTGL for it. I love them too, I saw him play solo couple of year back and he did quite a few Mansun tracks.

I'd love them to get back together but his relationship with Chad seems broken, they haven't spoke for over a decade. Such a shame, great band.

• Upvote 2

I was a bit dubious about The Who making a new album and it's took me a while to listen to it properly even though it got good reviews as i'm a moaning cunt when it comes to them.  Have to say apart from the odd duffer I was really surprised it's actually pretty good for two blokes in their 70's and the best thing Townshend has written since the 1970's. Even Daltrey's voice is good so kudos to the producer for that one.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about The Stranglers for obvious reasons, ever wondered where Golden Brown & Peaches came from? Wonder no more (you need to listen to the first one for a minute or so)...

57 minutes ago, Mook said:

Was thinking about The Stranglers for obvious reasons, ever wondered where Golden Brown & Peaches came from? Wonder no more (you need to listen to the first one for a minute or so)...

I can see that especially the 1st one. 

Apparently no hedgehogs were hurt in creating this headline

Brian May hospitalised after tearing buttock muscles while gardening

rG_Im9Wn?format=jpg&name=medium

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/08/brian-may-hospitalised-gardening-injury-tears-buttock-muscles?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I reckon he's right about Lulu, she had a much more poweful voice than Dusty. Whether someone prefers it would be a matter of taste.

Lulu never made a great LP like Dusty in Memphis though.

There's some great stories about Buddy Rich & Dusty Springfield, they played a club together in New York in the 60s & absolutely despised each other. I read a book about him last year & was pissing myself right through that chapter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I can’t stand Lulu. Watched To Sir, with Love when it was on telly the other week. Good film but her song at the end almost spoilt it for me. Looking at it objectively, Dusty was a much better singer technically.

Hmmm, I disagree with that.

I'm not a Lulu fan but she had some voice.

I always thought Dusty was a bit more like Diana Ross, not a spectacular singer but a really nice voice to listen to & a load of great songs.

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

Hmmm, I disagree with that.

I'm not a Lulu fan but she had some voice.

I always thought Dusty was a bit more like Diana Ross, not a spectacular singer but a really nice voice to listen to & a load of great songs.

Fair enough, I always assumed consensus was Dusty was the better singing. Anyway, I can’t bear Lulu. Her voice goes right through me. Baker comes across as a knob, too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fair enough, I always assumed consensus was Dusty was the better singing. Anyway, I can’t bear Lulu. Her voice goes right through me. Baker comes across as a knob, too.

Agreed on Baker, I often find myself agreeing with him but still thinking he's a complete tit.

I was looking for a great Lulu performance (not what I expected to be doing today) & found this. Difficult to argue with her talent here...

Unfortunately a lot of her career decisions were made for her by Mickie Most & she churned out mostly shite whereas Dusty seemed to stick to her guns more with the soul stuff.