You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

I shall check them out. Cheers ears.

Well the original idea was me and him would cover the guitar based stuff and our mate would cover the electronic and hip hop side of things, but now he's leaving the area and we actually did some market research and it seems like the 20somethings actually want some pop, disco and funk in there too. Who'd have funk it.

We just wanted to do a night that appealed to us and our friends, but then the guy that owns the venue said we can have the second floor to play around with to and we had a brainstorm and decided we wanted a room where the people could dance and a room where people could sit about stoned if they so desired and just listen to ace guitar based music. Our mate leaving town has left us in a bit of a pickle because while we (at least think) we know songs that will get people moving, we dunno if we've got 3-4+ hours worth of the stuff. We've decided we're not going to launch until 2015 though so it gives us plenty of time to sort or/and draft someone in.

You need to find a new mate then, I reckon.
  • Upvote 1

I love live music so some of my favourite current artists that I've seen live..

Americana - Felice Brothers / The Low Anthem / Dawes / The Avett Brothers

Alt/indie etc - John Grant / Frightened Rabbit 

Rock - John Murry / Israel Nash

Country - Jason Isbell / Steve Earle 

Some of my favourite current artists that I want to see live

The Decemberists / My Morning Jacket / Bright Eyes / Wilco 

Are you a fan of the Drive By Truckers by any chance?

I loved Dirty South by them but I've found the other albums very hit and miss. 

Are you a fan of the Drive By Truckers by any chance?

I loved Dirty South by them but I've found the other albums very hit and miss. 

I only started listening to them after hearing Jason Isbells solo stuff and most of what I've heard is very uneven, I haven't tried "Dirty South" yet, will give it a go. That Southeastern album by Jason Isbell is great though, the song about cancer  "Elephant" is just amazing.

• Upvote 1

I only started listening to them after hearing Jason Isbells solo stuff and most of what I've heard is very uneven, I haven't tried "Dirty South" yet, will give it a go. That Southeastern album by Jason Isbell is great though, the song about cancer  "Elephant" is just amazing.

It's the only album I would say has consistent quality, the rest have some good tracks and some stuff I can barely even listen too. 

• Upvote 1

I love LFDH.  Whether or not you like Daryl Hall, he has some great guests sharing the show.  The idea is simple - guests turn up for one show to his house and jam with his house band - some of their songs, some of his, and some other random covers. 

Some of the people he's had on are fab:  Jason Mraz, Cee-Lo Green, Shelby Lynne, Joe Walsh, Booker T. Jones, Blind Boys of Alabama, Rob Thomas, Train, Toots Hibbert, Nick Lowe, K.T. Tunstall, Todd Rundgren, Keb Mo, Dave Stewart, Goo Goo Dolls' John Rzeznik, Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump, Nick Waterhouse, Rumer, Chiddy Bang, Allen Stone, Nikki Jean, The Dirty Heads, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, Mayer Hawthorne, Eric Hutchinson, Chromeo, Matt Nathanson, Parachute, Plain White T's, Sharon Jones, Diane Birch, Fitz & the Tantrums, Neon Trees, Guster, Travis McCoy, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, Minus the Bear and Smokey Robinson, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top Gavin DeGraw, Brett Dennen, Amos Lee, JOHNNYSWIM and loads of others.

​A lot of shows have disappeared from the website, but they're available on Youtube.  

• Upvote 2

Have you listened to The Seventh Seal yet Shep? It's got a slight Morricone edge to it.

Had no idea about any of the Scott Walker stuff at all and only discovered it through this thread today. I shall be investigating more. 

I have. Listened to Scott 4 earlier on. Only listened to it the once but I can see where you're coming from mate. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to listening to some of the later, experimental stuff that people have been on about.

I have. Listened to Scott 4 earlier on. Only listened to it the once but I can see where you're coming from mate. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to listening to some of the later, experimental stuff that people have been on about.

Oh, its experimental, one of the 'instruments' used on The Drift was a piece of meat, which was punched in a rhythmic manner. The Drift also contains songs about Elvis Presley's stillborn twin, 9/11, disease and the public display of Mussolini's dead body.

I recommend the film 'Scott Walker: 30th Century Man'. It documents his career, especially the latter stages, the look on Lulu's face when she listens to his new work is priceless.

• Upvote 1

Oh, its experimental, one of the 'instruments' used on The Drift was a piece of meat, which was punched in a rhythmic manner. The Drift also contains songs about Elvis Presley's stillborn twin, 9/11, disease and the public display of Mussolini's dead body.

I recommend the film 'Scott Walker: 30th Century Man'. It documents his career, especially the latter stages, the look on Lulu's face when she listens to his new work is priceless.

Hahaha, hook, line and sinker, gonna have to see that.

Back in the day I used to work in a couple of recording studio's. Remember one session I was engineering when I mic'd up a fire extinguisher. Thought that was pretty radical, but "punching a piece of meat in a rhythmic manner" ??? Sounds kinky as fuck.

His latest album, while still uneasy listening, is more accessible than The Drift.