You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Elton Bog has announced he's going to play Widnes next year.

Seriously.

It's a little bit smelly, 
And the air is quite brown, 
But Widnes Cheshire, well it's really, 
The best, fucking town.
Don't have much money but boy, if I did,
I'd rent a flat in Cherry Sutton, 
Where I could live.

If I worked at The Crispy, but then again no, 
Or a man outside Iceland, drinking warm Strongbow. 
Oh I know it's not much but I'm a bit of a mess.
But nobody gives a shit anyway, 'cause, 
This is Widnes.

And you can tell every fucker,
This is your town.
Get fucked up in Estab' on Friday,
Or spend your dole in The Crown. 
I hope you don't mind,
I hope you don't mind,
That I wrote down in words.
Widnes is the greatest place, in the entire world.

There's too many pound shops, and bakery's too. 
I waked 3 yards, I'd bought lighters, a hat, a Big Issue. 
But the sun is shining, while I write this song. Just saw a woman, must be 30stone, sporting a thong.

And you can tell all the youngsters, 
About Top of The Town, 
While they're sniffing ket on the street just, hanging around. 
Your Mum's your sister, 
Your son's your uncle, 
And your Nan's twenty one... 
I love you sweet Widnes...

Sir Elton Fucking John.

I like the first two Kings of Leon records. Because of the Times was their first jaunt into shitness and i thought maybe it's just their Be Here Now. But no! Before the Night was a full on wet fish around the chops of corporate Bon Jovi-esque cry wank proportions.

c991c97dc5.jpg

Cocaine, Moustaches and Creedence Clearwater Revival

c991cad500.jpg

All Saints clobber, designer stubble, Toni & Guy haircuts and getting that supermodel pussy.

I mean think about it. You're writing songs about transistor radios and 45's and the next thing you know you're singing "this sex is on fire" about some 19 year old Hungarian supermodel that's got a pussy like a Stretch Armstrong doll. I haven't walked a mile in their moccasins so i can't judge, but i can join the dots.

c991c97dc5.jpg

Cocaine, Moustaches and Creedence Clearwater Revival

c991cad500.jpg

All Saints clobber, designer stubble, Toni & Guy haircuts and getting that supermodel pussy.

I mean think about it. You're writing songs about transistor radios and 45's and the next thing you know you're singing "this sex is on fire" about some 19 year old Hungarian supermodel that's got a pussy like a Stretch Armstrong doll. I haven't walked a mile in their moccasins so i can't judge, but i can join the dots.

*Goes off to nearest toy shop to buy Stretch Armstrong doll.

Ruth And Martin's Album Club is back! It's generally one of the finest reads on the internet and this time brings us JK Rowling listening to the magnificent Violent Femmes for the first time.

http://ramalbumclub.com

Read all of them if you haven't already, some great stuff there.

And if you haven't heard that first Violent Femmes album then listen to that. It's superb.

• Upvote 1

New song from Malojian, a band I love from Belfast, and a new album due out in the next week or so - produced and recorded by Steve Albini. A really nice Beatles vibe on this tune, the main singer (Stephen Scullion) is a really nice guy too.

• Upvote 1

Been listening to Radio X a lot. Been a lot of decent music released lately. Richard Ashcrofts new single is fantastic. Although how the courteeners are even a thing is beyond me. Utter turd.

Well fuck me. It's very rare we agree on music stuff Stig, but you are spot on about the Courteeners.

Counts to a man.

• Upvote 1

Bob's setlist from desert trip last night, pretty cool.

Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35

Don't Think Twice It's All Right

Highway 61 Revisited

It's All Over Now Baby Blue

High Water (For Charley Patton)

Simple Twist Of Fate

Early Roman Kings

Love Sick

Tangled Up In Blue

Lonesome Day Blues

Make You Feel My Love

Pay In Blood

Desolation Row

Soon After Midnight

Ballad of a Thin Man

Masters Of War

• Upvote 2

I'm in Haarlem to see Guitar Wolf who are the finest and loudest Japanese garage punk band I know. The singer is standing next to me outside having a smoke and I'm having to stop myself asking him what time are you on Mr Wolf.

Quick, ask him, bear or monkey with a knife ? We deserve to know.