You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Anyone on here into Michael Kiwanuka?

I heard his song, 'Black man in a white World' on Sunday & have had to order his forthcoming LP on the back of it, absolutely brilliant. Imagine Curtis Mayfield & Marvin Gaye wrote a song for Bill Withers & you're getting there.

He's on Jools Holland tonight apparently if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYlcVNI2AM

• Upvote 1

I heard his song, 'Black man in a white World' on Sunday & have had to order his forthcoming LP on the back of it, absolutely brilliant. Imagine Curtis Mayfield & Marvin Gaye wrote a song for Bill Withers & you're getting there.

You've got my interest Mooky mate, but I'm off out on the piss in a bit.

• Upvote 1

That's very good Mook. Reminds me of this (Which has bound to have been posted on here before, maybe even by me)

• Upvote 1

like this a lot. Listening on spotify which is 99p for 3 months at the minute.

Spotify is ace, it has millions of tracks on it, yet I'm listening to things I remember from when I was a kid, and they all sound shit.

Any playlist suggestions greatly appreciated, as I am desperate that I don't become one of those people that think all modern music is rubbish, and it was much better when I was younger. Just listened to Flock of Seagulls and believe me, it wasn't.

• Upvote 1

Some great news this morning, got a message from Newcastle Riverside telling me that Black Grape have added a night to their tour and will now be playing there on November 22nd. Saw them their a couple of years ago and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

However, Electric 6 are playing at the O2 on the very same night. Bugger. Gonna have to bin that off now, would have loved to have gone to both.

Some great news this morning, got a message from Newcastle Riverside telling me that Black Grape have added a night to their tour and will now be playing there on November 22nd. Saw them their a couple of years ago and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

However, Electric 6 are playing at the O2 on the very same night. Bugger. Gonna have to bin that off now, would have loved to have gone to both.

I'm guessing they no longer want to "take you to a gay bar" for safety reasons.

Too soon?

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across Christine and the Queens for the first time. Watched an episode of Graham Norton from a few weeks back and she was the musician on at the end of the show.

Very different to anything I've seen in a long time. I looked it up and I think the song was called Tilted. She's a French girl and has dancers performing with her. Having checked online I discovered she also performed at Glastonbury this year.

Anyhow, I thought it was very creative and well worth a watch.

http://youtu.be/o2VKaH2sKtU

• Upvote 1

Found a video on YouTube on Saturday night when I was half asleep of Steely Dan playing My Old School in 1973, got up yesterday morning & it had been deleted.

Pissed off, I'm a bit obsessed with Steely Dan at the moment, I've bough Countdown to Ecstasy which is arriving today & I'll have all their 70s stuff.

Found a video on YouTube on Saturday night when I was half asleep of Steely Dan playing My Old School in 1973, got up yesterday morning & it had been deleted.

Pissed off, I'm a bit obsessed with Steely Dan at the moment, I've bough Countdown to Ecstasy which is arriving today & I'll have all their 70s stuff.

Vimeo might still have it mate.  I find music on there sometimes that I can't find on You tube

• Upvote 1

Found an old 20 gig iPod of mine and it's still working. Been checking out what I popped on it and came across some odd playlists, in the middle of which was this track I'd forgotten about.

I remember that one, good track. Always liked this track as well...

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across Christine and the Queens for the first time. Watched an episode of Graham Norton from a few weeks back and she was the musician on at the end of the show.

Very different to anything I've seen in a long time. I looked it up and I think the song was called Tilted. She's a French girl and has dancers performing with her. Having checked online I discovered she also performed at Glastonbury this year.

Anyhow, I thought it was very creative and well worth a watch.

http://youtu.be/o2VKaH2sKtU

Echo this.

Bought her album Chaleur Humaine and it's brilliant. Although Tilted, and her performance skills, drew me in its only about the 6th best song on the album. She is outrageously talented, clearly influenced by Michael Jackson amongst others but with such a modern feel.

Other songs/performances of hers to YouTube:

St Claude

No Harm is Done

iT

This girl could be something special, in fact I think she already is.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...