You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

• 2 weeks later...

He was brilliant tonight, dropped a few songs and brought in some crackers. But then I think they are all crackers.

Thought The Feeling were good too, was pleasantly surprised. 

When I saw the Hyde Park concert on TV I was sad, sad because I would have given anything to have been there. So when I got my tickets months ago now, I have been counting down the days until this concert. It was all worth it, I could watch that every night for the rest of my life. Just incredible. 

Would have loved him to add almost anything from the 'Time' album, or even "Last train to London" but can't complain. 

CfT6_kKWQAE1LcW.jpg

JS86641773.jpg

IT might be 46 years since the Fab Four split up, but at least someone is still writing Beatles records.

Jeff Lynne, the bespectacled,shaggy-haired, bearded frontman of ELO, is one of rock and roll's great fan-musicians - someone who, despite being entitled to icon status himself, is still as starry-eyed about his musical heroes as ever.

His excellent recent single, When I Was A Boy, sums that love of music up, and is as Beatles-esque as anything since 1970. It's descending piano line, the floating minor seventh in the chorus, the solid, heavy drumming, all evoke 1994's Beatles reformation number Free As A Bird, which he produced. At the time, cynics sneered at that record and said it sounded too much like The Travelling Wilburys (of whom he was a member). There is a definite Jeff Lynne sound, and tonight's gig at the Arena reminded you why it's so popular.

An impressive line up of musicians graced the stage, which aside from the rhythm section included a string trio, which came in handy for those signature, elaborate orchestrations which songs like Sweet Talkin' Woman and Living Thing just wouldn't be the same without.

To say the songs mentioned so far were among the highlights is really just to say they were on the set list, as every single song was a highlight, each one driving the audience further into a euphoric stupor.

The dreamy Stepping Out from the milestone Out Of The Blue album was followed by the great, almost disco-esque Shine A Little Love, with it's swirling strings and synths and handclaps.

Wild West Hero showcased the vocal talents of the assembled band, with a fantastic three part harmony, and the whole place was vibrating with the stamping of feet throughout Don't Bring Me Down.

Telephone Line's anthemic chorus had everyone singing their hearts out, while Mr Blue Sky was the closest thing I've ever seen to mass ecstasy at an Arena gig, every single face beaming with a smile.

He could very easily have ended with it, but threw in a rhapsodic, all-you-can-eat guitar solo-filled performance of Roll Over Beethoven in for good measure.

Whenever you see Jeff Lynne interviewed, talking about working with George Harrison or his big hero, Roy Orbison, you get the feeling he's just a really nice guy who loves music and making music, so unassuming you could forget that he is, undoubtedly, one of the great rock and rollers of all time. A living legend.

The Coral are still boss. Support was Blossoms. Stig is gonna love them.

Unfortunately, Hill Street Blues seems to have been taken over by loud hipster knobheads with shitbeards and snapback caps trying to order posh bottled beer. Nowt wrong with a pint of Jupiler for 3 euro 90.

• Upvote 1

Right, I need a hand here or I'm going to go insane. You might be able to answer this sputnik. What is the track that Lynne is using to open his shows that features the choir and the strings (that I'm almost certain was used as a sample recently for an Eminem track). I need to find out or my brain will explode as it's been mms away from my grasping touch for the whole fucking week and google isn't helping.

Edit - ignore me. Searched for the setlist and found it there.

Eh? Can't find what it was sampled in recently though. It's driving me mad.

Right, I need a hand here or I'm going to go insane. You might be able to answer this sputnik. What is the track that Lynne is using to open his shows that features the choir and the strings (that I'm almost certain was used as a sample recently for an Eminem track). I need to find out or my brain will explode as it's been mms away from my grasping touch for the whole fucking week and google isn't helping.

Edit - ignore me. Searched for the setlist and found it there.

Beat me to it sir.