You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

I don't get The Who. Couple of good songs but in comparison to how long they've been going not enough for me.

I'm a massive Who fan but agree they're albums have been patchy. Who's Next and Live at Leeds are better than most things a lot of great bands have done over their careers. The period from about '68 to '72 was just scary from them.
  • Upvote 1

Live At Leeds is awesome. Not keen on Quadrophenia (love the film) and Tommy myself.

There is a documentary about Marshall amps on iplayer at the moment that's well worth a watch. Never knew Pete Townshend was so important in the development of the sound of them.

• Upvote 2

I don't get The Who. Couple of good songs but in comparison to how long they've been going not enough for me.

A couple of songs ....really?

When you think of how many fantastic songs they have made from just 9 studio albums (of which the last 3 were not great)I I think that's pretty impressive. Yeah I agree they probably should have produced more but most great bands only have a certain shelf life for creating really fantastic music and unlike most other bands Townshend was the chief songwriter .....The Stones for example for me never made a great album after Exile on Main Street which was in 73 , since then it's basically the same album recycled .

Also throw in the fact they are probably the most influential band this country has produced from punk to heavy rock to britpop..

Just catching up on Mary J Blige's Glastonbury set on the iPlayer. I haven't been a fan of much of her music since the early days (sadly, I prefer the stuff she wrote when she was depressed and struggling rather that since she sorted out her many issues of the heart, head and bottle), but fuck me, what a legend she is. Her range is mind-blowing and her capacity to sustain breathe and power at her age while bouncing around to the tunes non-stop would be remarkable in a teenager, never mind a near 50-something.

However, as ever, what sets her apart is the emotion she puts into it, both in delivery and note selection. She's not a singer who goes through ridiculous runs to show off technique; rather she takes it to places where her heart leads her and can drop the killer changes at just the right point to emphasise her mood, all the time making it seem effortless. Speaking of effortless, the band were very slick with the set running almost like a mixtape as each tune segued into the next never giving the crowd a chance to stop bouncing or get bored when a tune they may not have known appeared. That said, Mary rattled through the classics and the hits.

Despite what I said earlier about not liking her stuff so much since she found happiness, I was especially heartened to hear my all-time favourite Be Happy - the ultimate unrequited love song - delivered in such a way as to be true to its original meaning but delivered from the perspective of a woman who has come out on the other side of all that pain. She was still heart-felt in her delivery but whereas twenty years ago it was sung with the hurt still raw in her heart, now the emotion sounds like relief at being beyond all that these days. Amazing.

That sense of finally being happy was taken to the nth degree with No More Drama, the song that sums up her post-depression years. The rain pouring down and her tears at the end created a truly special moment as this most personal of singers revealed her inner feelings to the audience yet again. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more emotionally powerful or sincere performance ever and if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend you catch it before it goes. It's around the fifty minute mark and is absolutely remarkable.

For a worldwide star, the general lack of appreciation for the woman's greatness is incredible, in my view. She works in a genre that gets sniffed at by those outside it, but for me anyone who loves music should be able to appreciate the rare combination of all-time talent and pure/raw emotion. My Life remains in my top ten albums of all time and Be Happy one of my favourite ever songs and, despite not buying any of her stuff for a good while, this set reminded me why. Incredible.

Just catching up on Mary J Blige's Glastonbury set on the iPlayer. I haven't been a fan of much of her music since the early days (sadly, I prefer the stuff she wrote when she was depressed and struggling rather that since she sorted out her many issues of the heart, head and bottle), but fuck me, what a legend she is. Her range is mind-blowing and her capacity to sustain breathe and power at her age while bouncing around to the tunes non-stop would be remarkable in a teenager, never mind a near 50-something.

However, as ever, what sets her apart is the emotion she puts into it, both in delivery and note selection. She's not a singer who goes through ridiculous runs to show off technique; rather she takes it to places where her heart leads her and can drop the killer changes at just the right point to emphasise her mood, all the time making it seem effortless. Speaking of effortless, the band were very slick with the set running almost like a mixtape as each tune segued into the next never giving the crowd a chance to stop bouncing or get bored when a tune they may not have known appeared. That said, Mary rattled through the classics and the hits.

Despite what I said earlier about not liking her stuff so much since she found happiness, I was especially heartened to hear my all-time favourite Be Happy - the ultimate unrequited love song - delivered in such a way as to be true to its original meaning but delivered from the perspective of a woman who has come out on the other side of all that pain. She was still heart-felt in her delivery but whereas twenty years ago it was sung with the hurt still raw in her heart, now the emotion sounds like relief at being beyond all that these days. Amazing.

That sense of finally being happy was taken to the nth degree with No More Drama, the song that sums up her post-depression years. The rain pouring down and her tears at the end created a truly special moment as this most personal of singers revealed her inner feelings to the audience yet again. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more emotionally powerful or sincere performance ever and if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend you catch it before it goes. It's around the fifty minute mark and is absolutely remarkable.

For a worldwide star, the general lack of appreciation for the woman's greatness is incredible, in my view. She works in a genre that gets sniffed at by those outside it, but for me anyone who loves music should be able to appreciate the rare combination of all-time talent and pure/raw emotion. My Life remains in my top ten albums of all time and Be Happy one of my favourite ever songs and, despite not buying any of her stuff for a good while, this set reminded me why. Incredible.

I agree, fantastic set. Unlike most of the middle class wanker

Pop stars there she'd been there, seen it, done it. She should have headlined. Amazing artist.

• Upvote 1

Parklife. Some fucking album that. 21 years ago. Dude, wheres my life?

Its probably more hip to hate it these days, but it was amazing at the time and I think its still a fucking belter.

Great album. Shit single. 

Probably about the 10th best track on the album.

• Upvote 1

Going to see Black Grape up in Newcastle next Friday.

I like the Mondays (seen them a few times), but I always preferred Black Grape. Was amazed to hear they'd reformed cos I've never seen them live before and thought I'd never have the chance to.

Two great, underrated albums, Friday night, sunshine, down the Quayside, getting my dancing shoes on (again). Look out.

• Upvote 2

Going to see Black Grape up in Newcastle next Friday.

I like the Mondays (seen them a few times), but I always preferred Black Grape. Was amazed to hear they'd reformed cos I've never seen them live before and thought I'd never have the chance to.

Two great, underrated albums, Friday night, sunshine, down the Quayside, getting my dancing shoes on (again). Look out.

Didn't know they'd reformed, saw them on both album tours and their sets were great chaotic parties. Hope they do a festival in my part of the world this year

• Upvote 1

Great album. Shit single. 

Probably about the 10th best track on the album.

It's the worst track on it. Even that one where Alex James recites a list of celestial bodies and the "quirky" little final track are more preferable to Parklife.  

I used to love Parklife as well (the album), Badhead was my favourite track.

Another LP a bit like that was The La's, I really like There She Goes but it's probably my least favourite track on the album, partly due to being overplayed & partly because the rest of the album is just so fucking good.