You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Yeah he's shite. It's actually embarrassing how bad he's let his playing get.

I was pissjng myself at times watching their Glasto set on the tele. He can't even keep time anymore, which regardless of your playing level is pretty important for a drummer.

He's a chump

• Upvote 1

Ah man are they playing Psychocandy? I went to the Manchester show last year and while it was obviously ace I was hoping to hear some of their other stuff this time around. They sound like a hoot, I'll definitely check them out barring any bad clashes. Excited for Ride, the Pop Group, Ariel Pink, Pissed Jeans, Earl and Alvvays mostly. 

Anything we should be aware of regarding drugs? I took so much MDMA at Beacons last year I'm scared to touch the stuff again. I think it was possibly mixed with something mind, because me and my mate had hallucinations and I have brain zaps for almost a week after. The zaps are fucking horrible made me wary of touching the stuff again. Hallucinating wasn't pleasant either. I might have enjoyed myself if I was expecting it but instead it was closest thing I've had to a 'bad trip' Genuinely thought there was a 6 foot purple leopard in the tent while I was trying to sleep. 

My mate had it worse mind, he thought he was at work and tried cleaning the fucking toilets at one point. He also saw his sister floating inside one of the indoor tents during Daphni. I think everyone was a little worse for ware at that point though. People of all ages with jaws swinging in ways that defied logic. Ahhh, can''t wait for more of that! Only 90 odd days to go. 

That sounds more like 2CB than MDMA, mate.  I'd imagine it was that or something very similar, based on what you described.

You got 'Curtis Live'?

Had it on cassette years ago and wore it out, just got the cd tonight, fuck me it's good. His cover of We've only just begun is sublime.

Yes mate, love his live stuff. Like I said in an earlier post, some of it is rough sounding, but any deficiencies in the recordings are more than made up for by the obvious warmth and groove going on.

Oh, and the man has one of the best, sweetest voices ever.

You get that Live in Chicago album then mate ? Only short, but an absolute belter.

• Upvote 1

Yes mate, love his live stuff. Like I said in an earlier post, some of it is rough sounding, but any deficiencies in the recordings are more than made up for by the obvious warmth and groove going on.

Oh, and the man has one of the best, sweetest voices ever.

You get that Live in Chicago album then mate ? Only short, but an absolute belter.

Long story with the Chicago one, the ebay shop sent me a random Bing Crosby cd instead. Twice. Anyway, they've refunded me so I'll get it elsewhere.

Used to listen to Curtis non stop when I was younger but this thread has revived it a fair bit, love all the Impressions stuff too. Had Billy Jack on a lot recently, what a tune.

• Upvote 1

Long story with the Chicago one, the ebay shop sent me a random Bing Crosby cd instead. Twice. Anyway, they've refunded me so I'll get it elsewhere.

Used to listen to Curtis non stop when I was younger but this thread has revived it a fair bit, love all the Impressions stuff too. Had Billy Jack on a lot recently, what a tune.

Bit of a tangent, but I saw Martha Reeves and The Vandella's live at a (smallish) open air festival last summer; drinks were flowing, the sun was blazing and the old girl was bloody brilliant.

Band of fantastic musicians.

• Upvote 1

Bit of a tangent, but I saw Martha Reeves and The Vandella's live at a (smallish) open air festival last summer; drinks were flowing, the sun was blazing and the old girl was bloody brilliant.

https-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgRmD9W-5g

Band of fantastic musicians.

My mate met her when she played in Edinburgh and said she was fucking nuts.

In a good way.

• Upvote 1

You got 'Curtis Live'?

Had it on cassette years ago and wore it out, just got the cd tonight, fuck me it's good. His cover of We've only just begun is sublime.

Just listening to Curtis Live now mate, great recording, especially love the sound of the percussion, drums and bass.

• Upvote 1

Just listening to Curtis Live now mate, great recording, especially love the sound of the percussion, drums and bass.

Agreed, I've decided Right on for the Darkness is the greatest song of all time today.

Fucking hell, it's so good.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...