You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

35 minutes ago, stringvest said:

we were supposed to be going to see Adam Ant tonight as well, but thank fuck he's postponed.  Give and take - I drag her to see Ron Sexsmith and Randy Newman, she's takes me to see bands she had posters of when she was 12. 

Don't complain too much, mine was trying to get me to go to see the Steps reunion at the echo last year. (and no, I didn't fucking go) 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Don't complain too much, mine was trying to get me to go to see the Steps reunion at the echo last year. (and no, I didn't fucking go) 

I was dragged by the previous Mrs Stringvest to some godforsaken divot in Milton Keynes to watch Take That.  I was the only man there not wearing hot pants.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2022 at 04:26, The Midnight Rambler said:

Great band, massively underrated on here and in general. So many great songs & albums.

I saw them on the Magic & Medicine tour, but hadn't listened to them for years, so was surprised they were still going and how brilliant Coral Island from last year was.  Not a duff track on it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

@cloggypop ever heard of 'Loop'?

Completely new to me but they were around late eighties and are right up your street if you'd not been on to them already.

Loop are boss, big heavy Stooges guitars. 

Spacemen 3 often hit a similar hypnotic groove as indeed did Thee Hypnotics. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/02/2020 at 14:18, Rico1304 said:

I stayed in Shoreditch last year, went for a run and was almost immediately knocked over by a bloke on an e-scooter.  The hotel was £400 a night, pretentious as fuck (it had its own merchandise stand) and I was bitten by a bed bug.  

Last time I saw Sleeper they were supported by Space and I had a photo with the singer.  Thing is the injunction means I’m not allowed within 50 feet of Louise. 

Sleeper again tonight, they are playing The It Girl and greatest hits.   I’m a tad excited.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Ray Parker Jr has quite the musical legacy and check out his studio...

Nice, but compare with Jacob Collier's room in his mum's house.  He's recorded three albums in it - each one a Grammy winner, and with a soundscape Ray P couldn't even imagine.  Just don't need all that stuff any more, although nobody's going to turn it down if offered.

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Nice, but compare with Jacob Collier's room in his mum's house.  He's recorded three albums in it - each one a Grammy winner, and with a soundscape Ray P couldn't even imagine.  Just don't need all that stuff any more, although nobody's going to turn it down if offered.

This?

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

This?

Yep.  You can see 4 of his grammies on top of his Fender Rhodes there.  The boy is the closest thing to a musical genius I have seen in my lifetime.  An indigo child spreading joy.  While his ninja skills in playing, recording, orchestrating, arranging and video are unbelievable on their own, it's when he does the simple things that moves me like no-one else has ever done musically.  I do believe there's some sort of subconscious well of emotion that he knows how to tap into.  Weird, yet fantastic at the same time.  

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Yep.  You can see 4 of his grammies on top of his Fender Rhodes there.  The boy is the closest thing to a musical genius I have seen in my lifetime.  An indigo child spreading joy.  While his ninja skills in playing, recording, orchestrating, arranging and video are unbelievable on their own, it's when he does the simple things that moves me like no-one else has ever done musically.  I do believe there's some sort of subconscious well of emotion that he knows how to tap into.  Weird, yet fantastic at the same time.  

this has been out on BBC iplayer for a couple of weeks - a documentary by Alan Yentob.  Anyone who has Quincy Jones and Herbie Hancock falling over themselves to be in the same room as him has to be doing something right

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001717f/imagine-2022-jacob-collier-in-the-room-where-it-happens

• Upvote 1

On 22/05/2022 at 13:21, cloggypop said:

Went to see Wet Leg last night at the Paradiso. They are fucking boss and also a lot of fun. Great to see a band and crowd enjoying themselves so much. 

I first found out about them fairly recently. Every bit of live footage I've seen they seem to spend half the time just pissing themselves laughing. 

On 25/05/2022 at 18:41, Shooter in the Motor said:

Ray Parker Jr has quite the musical legacy and check out his studio...

Can't hear mention of him without thinking of his comment when declined an audience with the Pope on a Ghostbusters European tour. ' FFS, doesn't this guy have any kids ? '

• Upvote 1