You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

'They booed Joni Mitchell and threw s*** at Jimi Hendrix': The amazing story of the 1970 Isle of Wight festival

Kris Kristofferson hated it, the compere had a meltdown and called the audience pigs, but 50 years ago, the counter-culture brilliance of the Isle of Wight weekend set the tone for UK festival culture. Mark Beaumonttells

the story

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/isle-of-wight-festival-history-1970-lineup-bob-dylan-jimi-hendrix-leonard-cohen-joni-mitchell-a9668701.html

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not heard this before but apparently a engineer at Apple studios has developed a programme that can perfectly split down a one track recording into multiple tracks. They've just used it to restore Ravi Shankar Woodstock performance. 

Heard it on the Rolling Stone Woodstock podcast. He is saying that it can split the beatles all sharing one mic. Could be a massive step forward for some old concerts or old blues/jazz recordings from the 30-50s

Screenshot_20200911_123308_com.podbean.app.podcast.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Nice version that Stig.

Interesting story for you regarding the original singer Liz Fraser. Read an interview with her from a few years ago. In it she referred to the brief but very intense relationship she had with Jeff Buckley in the mid 90's and how she regrets the way she handled the break up and had been able to support him better with his career

She said she was recording Teardrop when she heard about him going missing. Still haunts her a bit today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2009/nov/26/cocteau-twins-elizabeth-fraser-interview

• Upvote 1

On 20/09/2020 at 09:08, KMD7 said:

Nice version that Stig.

Interesting story for you regarding the original singer Liz Fraser. Read an interview with her from a few years ago. In it she referred to the brief but very intense relationship she had with Jeff Buckley in the mid 90's and how she regrets the way she handled the break up and had been able to support him better with his career

She said she was recording Teardrop when she heard about him going missing. Still haunts her a bit today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2009/nov/26/cocteau-twins-elizabeth-fraser-interview

Wow mate great interview that. I'll never listen to Teardrop the same way again. I love Jeff Buckley. 

I always feel a sense of pride when musicians like her say they turn down mega bucks instead of selling themselves out. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Wow mate great interview that. I'll never listen to Teardrop the same way again. I love Jeff Buckley. 

I always feel a sense of pride when musicians like her say they turn down mega bucks instead of selling themselves out. 

Yeah thought you'd like it mate. I'm a big Buckley fan myself. Imagine recording a tune like that and finding out that someone you once really loved and still hold a candle for dies the same day.

She is brilliant, like you said did her own thing and never sold out. 

22 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah thought you'd like it mate. I'm a big Buckley fan myself. Imagine recording a tune like that and finding out that someone you once really loved and still hold a candle for dies the same day.

She is brilliant, like you said did her own thing and never sold out. 

Teardrop is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. Fitting that story. 

• Upvote 1