You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Found a interesting podcast the other week "Hit Parade" the guy just covers interesting storylines in US top 40 hits since the 50s. Last one i listened to was CCR related.

They hold the record for most number 2 singles without having a number 1, with 5. 

The label changed their name during the British Invasion to The Golliwogs, bit a luck that change that again i reckon

But has any band had a better run of albums in such a sort time, 20 months and 9 top 10 hits

• Upvote 1

Anyone listened to Nick Cave's new album Ghosteen? It really is superb, worth a listen even if you're not big on his earlier stuff:

On a sillier note, my band released our debut album a couple of weeks back! Take a listen if you like, it's really quite absurd:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, The-Sir said:

Anyone listened to Nick Cave's new album Ghosteen? It really is superb, worth a listen even if you're not big on his earlier stuff:

On a sillier note, my band released our debut album a couple of weeks back! Take a listen if you like, it's really quite absurd:

I love Nick Cave and there’s some beautiful stuff on there, but I dunno, I think I prefer a bit more of his fire and fury (and melody).  Maybe needs a few more listens.

Speaking of lyrical genius though, hopefully there is something on the Mr Ted album to match rhyming “neighbours” with “quavers”?

Finally, I’ve been listening to the new Wilco album “Ode to Joy” the last few days. Pretty good @Stu Monty!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

I love Nick Cave and there’s some beautiful stuff on there, but I dunno, I think I prefer a bit more of his fire and fury (and melody).  Maybe needs a few more listens.

Speaking of lyrical genius though, hopefully there is something on the Mr Ted album to match rhyming “neighbours” with “quavers”?

Finally, I’ve been listening to the new Wilco album “Ode to Joy” the last few days. Pretty good @Stu Monty!

Yeah give it a few more listens, it's all about context I guess. If Skeleton Tree encapsulated the sheer grief of losing his son, then this feels very much like a way of coming to terms with it. I do hope the next one is a big 'fuck you' though. 

And, um, we rhyme blue with poo? Not quite at the same level of lyrical genius, but toilet humour is always funny. 

Also in this day in music history

1990 - Nirvana
Drummer Dave Grohl played his first gig with Nirvana when they appeared at the North Shore Surf Club in Olympia

1997 - Verve(About the only UK album from that period that I actually liked) 
The Verve started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their third album Urban Hymns. The band's best-selling release features 'Bitter Sweet Symphony', and 'The Drugs Don't Work'. It is currently ranked the 15th best-selling album in UK

On 07/10/2019 at 19:56, The-Sir said:

It is completely and utterly beautiful. Love it.

Wasn't aware Taylor Hawkins had already released an album with his band Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders. Been on the NME website reading him talk about his new album. Had a listen to the one they released in 2010. Its brilliant. Can see his Queen obsession come through on a few tracks

R-2555509-1290253268.jpeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Rival Sons gig at Mountford Hall.

They were probably OK, if that's what you're into. A bit much of a Led Zep rip-off for my liking and not enough energy or audience interaction  (and a bit too much rockstar posturing).

They were preceded by the Record Company, who did a varied set of some catchy tunes and some good-time rhythm & blues. Good fun all round. 

But the first band were the ones I came for.  If you have an unhealthy interest in my contributions to TLW, you will know that I have an unhealthy interest in The Last Internationale. When they were added as a support to this already sold out gig, I sulked like a bitch on Twitter until they added me to the guest list. Their set was short, but they didn't disappoint. They blew the fucking roof off the place.

I bumped into Delila Paz on my way back from the bog afterwards and I was stunned at how tiny she is.  I'd love to see her X-rays, because I reckon she must be about 90% lungs.

• Upvote 1