You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freedom of speech

banger

59 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So they ratted him out, the blasphemer. Serves him right.

They should have just put him in stocks in front of Asda instead of firing him though, so he can continue to meet and greet and keep his job. It would be more humane and also serve as a warning to other blasphemers.

It would also help shift the fruit and veg in the whoops aisle.

• Upvote 1

The bigger issue here - and the one that all the self-appointed "champions of free speech" in the media are ignoring  - is the widespread and completely legal practice of employers trawling employees' (and job candidates') social media accounts for shit they can use against them.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The bigger issue here - and the one that all the self-appointed "champions of free speech" in the media are ignoring  - is the widespread and completely legal practice of employers trawling employees' (and job candidates') social media accounts for shit they can use against them.

But isn't that the shit thing about social media?  It's accessible to anyone else on social media.

And use what against them?  Pictures of their Persian cat - or pictures of them attending a Nazi rally?

Guess it all depends what you're saying and sharing on your feed.  Choosing to do the social media thing is a bit "caveat emptor" I reckon.

Shall I ring this referee on their CV... or should I have a look at their Facebook page?  Hmmmm.

6 hours ago, skaro said:

But isn't that the shit thing about social media?  It's accessible to anyone else on social media.

And use what against them?  Pictures of their Persian cat - or pictures of them attending a Nazi rally?

Guess it all depends what you're saying and sharing on your feed.  Choosing to do the social media thing is a bit "caveat emptor" I reckon.

Shall I ring this referee on their CV... or should I have a look at their Facebook page?  Hmmmm.

The simple solution is to keep your posts private or simply not use the fuckin thing. It seems harder to give up crack than for people not to post shite on facebook.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve downloaded a new playlist on Spotify and Oliver’s Army is on it.  Genuinely the first time I’ve heard a non-radio edit.  

An example of using the n word without being offensive to black people? Seems to be. 

Edit: meant by a white bloke! 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve downloaded a new playlist on Spotify and Oliver’s Army is on it.  Genuinely the first time I’ve heard a non-radio edit.  

An example of using the n word without being offensive to black people? Seems to be. 

By god don't listen to a 2Pac album 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I never think any words should be banned; it's just best to be careful how you use certain words and be aware of the context in which you use them and the context in which others might understand them.

This interview and the song are an excellent example of how even the worst of words can sometimes be the right word.

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Probably one of the best songs of all time:

https://newsthump.com/2019/07/26/new-wolfenstein-game-criticised-for-not-being-about-engaging-nazis-in-rational-debate/?fbclid=IwAR1186n_PZcppa_149muXNlNloH3t25nqjQkYYoLGXzQE7G8hoS_mUfkjSE

The launch of Wolfenstein: Youngblood has been marred by controversy today, after critics attacked its lack of options for politely engaging the villains in a widely televised debate.

The game, set in an alternative universe in which the Third Reich won World War Two, encourages players to use teamwork and planning to kill as many Nazis as possible whilst failing to provide any options whatsoever to talk through the nuances of their philosophy – leading to some pundits saying the game is biased against certain points of view.

“Some of these guys in coal-scuttle helmets with skulls on them might have some reasonable intellectual points and in a society which claims to be ‘tolerant’ you have to meet them halfway and debate them on points of disagreement,” said ‘Wolfengate’ spokesman Simon Williams.

“But no – the game expects you to just shoot them repeatedly in the head until they stop twitching and then move on like they’re nothing”, he added.

“Nothing.

“What sort of message is that giving to our children? So much for the tolerant left.”

Game designers have rejected the criticism, but acknowledged the game could have been made more entertaining by having Nazi Stormtroopers shouting “Diskutieren Sie mit uns!” (‘Debate us!’) as they charged forward to be mown down like so much ripe corn.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

https://newsthump.com/2019/07/26/new-wolfenstein-game-criticised-for-not-being-about-engaging-nazis-in-rational-debate/?fbclid=IwAR1186n_PZcppa_149muXNlNloH3t25nqjQkYYoLGXzQE7G8hoS_mUfkjSE

The launch of Wolfenstein: Youngblood has been marred by controversy today, after critics attacked its lack of options for politely engaging the villains in a widely televised debate.

The game, set in an alternative universe in which the Third Reich won World War Two, encourages players to use teamwork and planning to kill as many Nazis as possible whilst failing to provide any options whatsoever to talk through the nuances of their philosophy – leading to some pundits saying the game is biased against certain points of view.

“Some of these guys in coal-scuttle helmets with skulls on them might have some reasonable intellectual points and in a society which claims to be ‘tolerant’ you have to meet them halfway and debate them on points of disagreement,” said ‘Wolfengate’ spokesman Simon Williams.

“But no – the game expects you to just shoot them repeatedly in the head until they stop twitching and then move on like they’re nothing”, he added.

“Nothing.

“What sort of message is that giving to our children? So much for the tolerant left.”

Game designers have rejected the criticism, but acknowledged the game could have been made more entertaining by having Nazi Stormtroopers shouting “Diskutieren Sie mit uns!” (‘Debate us!’) as they charged forward to be mown down like so much ripe corn.

Good people on both sides

• 1 year later...