You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freedom of speech

banger

57 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The Head of the Auschwitz Memorial has offered to find 120 volunteers to do a month each in his place.  

In other news Richard Dawkins has been uninvited from a speaking event at Trinity college as he may make some students feel uncomfortable. 

He is extraordinarily sexy.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is it?

I've no idea what they're investigating or what he said or what reports have been made to the Police, so I've no idea if it genuinely is crazy.

He’s reported himself so he can get attention and money. 

This is one of those stories that doesn't exist but is a well paying line for the grifters to fawn outrage, write a few articles and appear on the telly crowdfund and eventually audience members get very shouty on BBCQT. It seems to be standard procedure for the police to investigate when a complaint has been made.

It's just becoming increasingly clear that Twitter is a load of bollocks that doesn't represent real life, it's become a cornerstone of lazy journalism. 

"Celeb subjected to death threats - cough - on twitter." 

Katy Hopkins is a case in point, since she's been kicked off and confined to that Parler thing I haven't heard her mentioned in the papers once. The whole thing needs fucking off.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's just becoming increasingly clear that Twitter is a load of bollocks that doesn't represent real life, it's become a cornerstone of lazy journalism. 

"Celeb subjected to death threats - cough - on twitter." 

Katy Hopkins is a case in point, since she's been kicked off and confined to that Parler thing I haven't heard her mentioned in the papers once. The whole thing needs fucking off.

Modern day journalism seems to largely consist of unpaid interns collating Tweets to push whatever angle the paper's owners want to emphasise. It's utter shite.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Just the Telegraph pushing Johnson, Farage and the right wing’s agenda of using exaggerated non-stories to start a culture war to distract from the twin messes of Covid and Brexit. Shame on any naive fool who fell for it

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if over the page from crying about free speech, they'll be attacking 'human rights' without a trace of irony.

The freedom to say "Humans should be treated as humans" is under threat from online abuse and threats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54355636

I'd like to shrug it off by saying "Twitter is a cesspool" but these cunts are just echoing and amplifying the hate-filled propaganda of the actual Government. 

19 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Just the Telegraph pushing Johnson, Farage and the right wing’s agenda of using exaggerated non-stories to start a culture war to distract from the twin messes of Covid and Brexit. Shame on any naive fool who fell for it

The hypocrisy being they were all in favour of Brand being investigated and were outraged at what she said about Farage during a comedy show. 

28 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If I ask a third time I'll get a surly "Do your own research".

Not a troll. Top bloke, etc. No agenda. To be fair, he probably is a decent bloke, most on here (except Rapey) are decent blokes, but fuck me he’s gullible and lacks the critical thinking ability to separate the shit he reads on twitter from reality. You see it a lot on here, and probably other places that I don’t visit; you can tell which Twitter corner people hang out in by what, when, and how they post. Twitter (and other stuff, like Facebook) is really just just an echo chamber full of groupthink despite the platform allowing more than that. The weak link is humans and how we use it. 

Twitter is worse because it necessarily strips context with its character limit. So you get a homogeneous lump of people following accounts they agree with, like a hyper confirmation bias, with pithy tweets devoid of context that are easily digested and rarely questioned by the bubble. You just have to look at the Starmer haters or previously the Corbyn haters - everything Corbyn said would be twisted into some anti-Jew hatred. They do it because they think they’re right and moral. It’s a strange phenomenon; It’s like a self-sustaining propaganda now. It used to happen more in universities where you’d get a little coven of semi-educated dickheads who’d spur each other on. It’s different to the media who have an agenda, then dress it up in an article and push it to a reader base who, unlike twitter, don’t all communicate in one space. It’s all a bit shite. 

• Upvote 1