You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Led Zeppelin Thread

Mook

On 9/25/2018 at 7:24 AM, Stickman said:

If you're goinnng to Saaa-an Francisco 

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hairrrr

If you're goinnnnng in-tooo Saeaan Franciscoohohoh

You're gonna meet aaaaa lotta gentle people there oheeeoh

Everywhere everywhere e-very-where oheeeohoh

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Was When the Levee Breaks ever filmed live? I had a look a couple of years ago and couldn't find anything on YouTube aside from some bootleg audio, Page and Plant performing it in the '90s and a decent Zepparella cover.

Not that I'm aware of, they played it 3 or 4 times live at the start of the 1975 tour then dropped it for some reason. I have a bootleg from the Chicago gig with poor sound but you can hear the song sounds great so not sure why it was dropped although most likely to do with the singing (Plant's voice was never the same after an operation on his throat in late '72).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Cheers. That's a shame, it's one of my favourite songs. I did wonder if the heavy production on the original meant it was difficult to reproduce properly live as well.

Aye, that probably factored as well, there's a lot of studio guitar trickery going on towards the end of the song. I'm going to dig that bootleg out again over the weekend, 'not listened to it for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Got tickets through work to go and see Led Zeppelin Masters at the Philharmonic Hall last night, was originally a bit dubious about going to see a Zeppelin tribute band with basically a backing orchestra but have to be honest  I thought it was really really good.

Some songs worked better than others but it was worth the entrance fee alone to see Kashmir, No Quarter and The Rain Song played with an orchestra plus a brilliant drum solo on Moby Dick

They are from Australia, great musicians but the lead singer who's a bit iffy looks like Craig Johnson who's been on extra strength steroids .

This is from another gig

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Got tickets through work to go and see Led Zeppelin Masters at the Philharmonic Hall last night, was originally a bit dubious about going to see a Zeppelin tribute band with basically a backing orchestra but have to be honest  I thought it was really really good.

Some songs worked better than others but it was worth the entrance fee alone to see Kashmir, No Quarter and The Rain Song played with an orchestra plus a brilliant drum solo on Moby Dick

They are from Australia, great musicians but the lead singer who's a bit iffy looks like Craig Johnson who's been on extra strength steroids .

This is from another gig

I thought about going when I got the Phil schedule some time back but couldn't bring myself to see a tribute band. Sounds like I made bad call.

Still have clear memories of seeing the real thing at the Empire way back in the mists of time. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I thought about going when I got the Phil schedule some time back but couldn't bring myself to see a tribute band. Sounds like I made bad call.

Still have clear memories of seeing the real thing at the Empire way back in the mists of time. 

That's kind of what put me off as I thought a tribute band isn't going to have the power of Zeppelin and it will just be naff but then with an orchestra and it being in the Phil with the acoustics I kind of thought it might sound different and to be fair it added depth that the four on their own would never have matched

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

That's kind of what put me off as I thought a tribute band isn't going to have the power of Zeppelin and it will just be naff but then with an orchestra and it being in the Phil with the acoustics I kind of thought it might sound different and to be fair it added depth that the four on their own would never have matched

Sounds interesting, wish I had gone now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Out Now: MOJO’s Deluxe Led Zeppelin Special

LED ZEPPELIN EARLY DAYS 1968-1973 is the first of two Collectors’ Series bookazines bringing together MOJO’s finest writing on the gods of heavy rock.

By StoriesMOJO StaffAugust 08, 2019

MOJO IS PROUD TO PRESENT its first collection of writing on Led Zeppelin, unfolding the story of the legendary rock group’s foundational years, from guitarist Jimmy Page’s days as a session player and member of The Yardbirds, to the Zep’s dramatic formation and triumphant conquest of America within just two years

Illustrated with dozens of rare and iconic photos, EARLY DAYS 1968-1973 includes classic interviews with Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant, the truth behind the lurid tales of on-the-road carnage in America, the stories behind their first five albums – from Led Zeppelin I to Houses Of The Holy – a guide to Zeppelin’s greatest songs, including Dazed And Confused, Whole Lotta Love and Stairway To Heaven, Jimmy Page on his musical heroes, plus the inside track on the creation of the band’s iconic sleeve artwork.

Packed with entertaining features, and amazing photography, LED ZEPPELIN: EARLY DAYS 1968 to 1973 is an essential purchase for every serious music fan. And it comes in a unique presentational wallet with space for the upcoming Volume 2.

LED ZEPPELIN: EARLY DAYS 1968-1973 is available in shops on August 8, 2019 and online at

www.greatmagazines.co.uk/zeppelin

The follow-up, LED ZEPPELIN: LATTER DAYS 1974-2019, is on sale in shops from September 26, 2019. Pre-order it NOW at www.greatmagazines.co.uk/zeppelin

• Upvote 1