You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Led Zeppelin Thread

Mook

Kashmir. With Achilles in second. Funny though isn't it? Babe I'm gonna leave you, Achilles, BoE and Since are all extraordinary.

Which got me to thinking, although I think Physical Graffiti was their best album, the more I think about it, where was the weak point in any of their studio recordings? There was antipathy towards both III and Presence. Presence is stunning and really bears revisiting. I once saw P&P perform at the Montreux and their first was Candy Store Rock. Now seriously, when's the last time you cranked that up? Do it. Go on I dare you.

Presence is probably the studio album I listen to most these days, a very underrated record & I agree about Candy Store Rock, a much maligned song but it's fucking brilliant.

Tea for One is such an amazing way to end the album too, they were great at playing a slow blues.

• Upvote 2

A mate of mine did this year down near Bath, Talked mainly about Wolves and his involvement there and very little about Zep

Had a pint with Robert Plant at a Fairport Convention gig about 20 years ago. He was a decent guy. Didn't talk about music as it seemed a bit crass to harp on about it - just discussed the festival.

Later that night when he took to the stage with Fairport, he totally commanded the stage - he was superb and had all presence you'd expect.

Saw him this (or maybe last) year at Glastonbury (on the telly) - and that presence just wasn't there.

Had a pint with Robert Plant at a Fairport Convention gig about 20 years ago. He was a decent guy. Didn't talk about music as it seemed a bit crass to harp on about it - just discussed the festival.

Later that night when he took to the stage with Fairport, he totally commanded the stage - he was superb and had all presence you'd expect.

Saw him this (or maybe last) year at Glastonbury (on the telly) - and that presence just wasn't there.

If that was 93 or 96,I played on that gig,I believe that it came out as a bootleg called "two days in the country", or something like that.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not certain, but guess 96 as 29 Palms was played with Maaaart on guitar!

Edit - just checked - it was 93!

Which band were you in?

I played guitar stood between Maart and Peggy,the boys thought that they needed a second electric for the heavier stuff and I got the nod.
  • Upvote 1

That’s fucking ace, Ben. Must have some good stories to tell from that time mate. How did you end up getting that gig?

Yes Moof,you know as a musician sometimes you end up at the right place at the right time.Just luck really.I've been mates with Maart and Peggy for years and written songs for the Fairports,so I nipped around to Dave's place for a drink and he offered me the gig.I was great playing Jesus on the mainline on slide plus Zep stuff.Robert really is a lovely bloke,he's well chuffed for Wolves this year I'll bet.
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic muso is Maart.

Nice being in that line-up with some serious heavy hitters!

Weren't part of the LC's were you? ;-)

No pal,the whole thing came about when Peggy picked our band to play the festival and we realized that we had been on the same circuit in the sixties,with Steve Gibbons and co.and we've been great pals ever since.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s a Polish internet station I stumbled across called PolskieRadio-LED Zeppelin, it’s all Zep but with the band and covers done by all kinds of artists. Bonamassa doing Tea For One is a favourite of mine for instance, it’s either that or Planet Rock on during the day in our house now.

• Upvote 1