You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Led Zeppelin Thread

Mook

Negged for not going for vinyl.

I love vinyl & grew up with it but I've moved around a lot since I left home & always thought I would get a record player when I bought my own house, now that I finally have my own place, I have about 600 CDs & it would be an awful lot of time & money to get a record player & start building up my collection again, especially with the price of records at the moment.

I think so, I never did ask for more details, he may even had said it was the same bed, but I'm not quite sure how that would have worked!

Once when I was maybe between 10-12 years old, my Dad took me up to Birmingham to visit my Gran and we was walking through town and my Dad pointed up at a block of flats and told me he went to party in one of them that was hosted by Black Sabbath where everyone had to be naked. This of course meant that my dad was also naked, and was no the imagery that I wanted at that age so think I decided not to find out too much about his younger years! I have a vague memory that he told me once that he used to be a roadie back in those days.

• Upvote 1

I love vinyl & grew up with it but I've moved around a lot since I left home & always thought I would get a record player when I bought my own house, now that I finally have my own place, I have about 600 CDs & it would be an awful lot of time & money to get a record player & start building up my collection again, especially with the price of records at the moment.

Fully understand of course. Personally, I've really come to dislike all CD, DVD and Bluray stuff in the last decade. If I really like something (which happens like three times a year these days) I try to get it on vinyl, leave it unopened and listen to it digitally.

• Upvote 1

I grew up with it too and at one time had about 500 albums , Got shut because of the space they took up and regretted it for years as I never liked CD's much. The stupid little plastic cases that forever fell to bits the moment you touched the fucking thing and the faffing around to get at sleeve notes which were always minimal at best, Not a patch on a nice gatefold album sleeve, That said I'm not going back to vinyl,. I love the fact that I can instantly get anything I want up on Spotify on the phone., Got a decent Bose system in the car and a great Ruark system indoors,  People say vinyl sounds better but my ears these days are not discerning enough to notice the difference if I'm honest.    

• Upvote 1

vinyl these days is a great way for the working man to save money (their own tangible stocks and shares if you like) and use it as a means to bolster their collections. personally, I think people are mad paying what they do for what I have disposed of and replaced, repeat. they're like my bitches going out to work for their Daddy. 24/7. if some tit in London wants to redistribute some of their ill gotten gains my way, you're welcome.

you can predict which things will by and large get deleted quickly, special editions etc. this speculation forms the basis of future acquisition. get 2 of something. i mean, the latest New Order LP double vinyl was going for around a tenner a few weeks ago so I picked a couple up for later, keeping them sealed. fucking heavyweight double vinyl for that price of a collectable band? no brainer. do that across hundreds of things, you've got a nice little nest egg.

was lucky enough to start collecting decades ago, way before the internet took off and now reap the benefit of that. it all goes into the fun pot. it's a hobby that does no harm and I enjoy the chase.

couldn't give 2 fucks about alot of the argument regarding sound quality. for example, have an old school ghettoblaster in my kitchen for tapes and I enjoy acquiring rare hip hop cassettes (love that you can read the spines clearly and they look quality all in a line) to boom out so I play all formats and have most of these titles across all of them, certainly all golden era. side a/b too, think most of the abums I repeat play had a side a/b in mind. in most genres I like.

was in a certain ex Wolves managers' office years ago before a game and he was forwarded a signed Zep cd (think it was the Mothership hits thing) by Robert Plant. he wasn't aware that he was a Wolves nut, didn't have a clue until I piped up the information. fucker probably would answer one of the profiles in Shoot! as liking Billy Joel and most wanting to meet the Queen. favourite food, steak and chips.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Jimmy Page confirms that there will be releases in 2018 to coincide with the band's 50th anniversary.

http://ledzepnews.com/2017/12/19/jimmy-page-said-previously-unheard-led-zeppelin-music-manner-surprises-will-released-bands-fiftieth-anniversary/

“There’ll be Led Zeppelin product coming out, for sure, that people haven’t heard,” Page said, “because I’m working on that. Next year will be the fiftieth year so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.”

• Upvote 3

I need to get one of these.8c4dead13c27268f68fb09db276e4b13.jpg

Being both a zeppelin and pinball machine aficionado, I'm afraid that machine is, to the best of my research, fake news. The picture has been circulating for ages but none of my trusty pin table database sites have ever mentioned it as a ting. More's the pity.

I'm sure somewhere on here I recounted my 30 minutes of heaven when, after a huge amount of good fortune, effort and planning, I ended up sitting with Robert himself, on a small bar table in the lounge of the Holiday Inn on Paradise Street after one of his gigs. Just me and him. As a mate said to me afterwards, you might as well top yourself right now. Your all-time wish has come true. It won't get ANY better than that. He wasn't entirely right, but nor was he entirely wrong.

• Upvote 2

Went to a tiny gig in a bookstore on Oxford Street that JPJ was playing. There were maybe 18 of us there. Maybe standing two metres from him. It was like "fuck me ragged, that's HIM". Right fucking there. I mean like he looked at me and everything.

Although it was ace, it wasn't 'me and Robert' ace.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to have a pint with Robert Plant, me & a mate of mine shouted 'We love you' at John Paul Jones' car once, which was probably aout Zeps close as I'll ever get.

A mate of mine did this year down near Bath, Talked mainly about Wolves and his involvement there and very little about Zep

I know roughly where he lives, if you want to stalk him next you are in London...?

I'm too busy getting pished when I'm in London with Rubble Rouser & yourself to be bothering my arse chasing Robert Plant around.

I probably wouldn't ask him about Zeppelin, I'd ask him about the West Coast scene in the 60s, he was into Moby Grape & all that lot, some great bands.

To be honest, I've met a few famous people & what are you meant to say that they haven't heard a million times? It's not something I would seek out although I think Robert Plant might be an exception.