You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whats your current aftershave

Bjornebye

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Okay then Troy, I've had a little think. I don't know how old you are or where you work, but I'm thinking if you can afford to spend £60 on smelly water, you have a half decent job and you're not 15. With that in mind, here are some manly scents. Not being sure what you'll be into, but you said manly so I'll start with those.

Manly

Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche Pour Homme. When you said manly, this is the first thing that popped into my head, as it's not 70s hairy chest smell but it's still manly. Around £35-50 per bockle. Clean, Fresh, manly. Not for kids, but not something your farmer granddad would wear. Professional.

Chanel - Egoist. Chanel is a great brand. I like Allure. This one smells much more manly than Allure, dark, musky, woodsy, serious, sexy, masculine fragrance. Not fun or jovial. Not cheap, but Chanel isn't ever. Can be had at around 50 quid. If you're a power broker, you can pull this one off.

Top Quality but Overpriced Niche

Green Irish Tweed - Worn by Clint Eastwood, Numero Veinticinco, and George Clooney and other such handsome, successful superstar bastards. Oh, fuck off, I deserve to be in that list. It's my favourite. It's expensive, but it lasts. It would be right at the top of your budget and to get it at around that price, you'd have to buy your year's worth in advance (120ml). It's worth getting a tester, though. You can get one here for 2.50. However, there is a lower class, cheaper alternative. Davidoff Coolwater is something that smells similar, especially in the opening. This video is worth a watch. Normally these guys can separate fragrances straight away. They'd just reviewed them, and even after that they mixed up Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water.

Aventus. The - THEEEEE - manly scent, in my opinion. I think it's what the likes of Harvey Spector from Suits would wear. I've got a bottle, but I don't think I'll be buying it against as it's just too expensive for what it is. It's smokey pineapple, with red apple, but in fragrance form. It's more complex than that, obviously, and it's just brilliant. It's £68 for a 30ml bottle, which is expensive. There's no getting away from it, it's expensive. There's a reason why they sell out of this stuff though; it's just awesome. Again, it's worth getting a sample.

Edgier

Fahrenheit - Like Petrol?
Bvlgari Black - Rubber, smoke, all the good smells from being a bloke. I've not smelled it, but I'm probably going to get some just for the look of the bottle and the reviews. It's £25 quid.

Absolute Bargains

Encre Noir - The biggest bargain out there, I'd say. Everybody who reviews it says it's a niche quality fragrance for designer prices. I totally agree, accept that it's available for even cheaper in some place. You can get it for under £24 quid here. I mean, it's my new favourite scent that isn't stupidly priced. Even then, I'm really loving this. It's all dark and woodsy but classy at the same time. And clearly great quality when you smell it. It's all smooth and refined. For me, it's a £75-100 bottle for £25 quid.

David Beckham Intimately. For me, this is probably the best priced scent out there. It's manly, it's classy, it's shockingly good quality, and it's way, way under priced. It comes in a great looking glass bottle. It's £9.99 for 75ml. Any less and they'd be paying us to have it. Check this video out to see what I mean.

I'd say that you should get samples or try Rive Gauche, then get samples of the two creeds. Intimately is a no brainer for anybody, in my view.

• Upvote 1

My brother's got some from Selfridges, it's ridiculously expensive, I think about £100 a bottle. At Christmas I went in to collect some stuff which is downstairs in the Manchester store, near the aftershaves. A massive muscle-Mary went over to this aftershave, got a tester and sprayed this aftershave at least 15times, he just kept going saturating himself in it. It's pretty strong stuff, he fucking stank of it, the entire downstairs of Selfridges stank of it, most of the Arndale stank of it. He must have been like Pepe Le Peu for the rest of the month.

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage is another reasonably priced, inoffensive, "classic" men's aftershave.

If you love citrus then you'll love this. Heavy on the lemon. Great for work, office, summer, spring. Dead nice.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Christian-Dior/Eau-Sauvage-231.html

You can get 100 mls of the EdP for about £60.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So, I received my jarg Aventus clone today. Fucking hell, I was expecting it to be close but I wasn't expecting it to be that close. In the first 30 seconds to a minute after you spray it, I'd say it's about 85% the same (I had actual Aventus on the other hand). After about 3/4 minutes, it's the same. Like, even the same musky/dusty/smokey vibe. It's really fucking close. For £20 per 100ml compared to almost £200...

• Upvote 1

So, I received my jarg Aventus clone today. Fucking hell, I was expecting it to be close but I wasn't expecting it to be that close. In the first 30 seconds to a minute after you spray it, I'd say it's about 85% the same (I had actual Aventus on the other hand). After about 3/4 minutes, it's the same. Like, even the same musky/dusty/smokey vibe. It's really fucking close. For £20 per 100ml compared to almost £200...

Where did you get this NV ?? apologies if you've said in the past two pages, fuck the past.

Drop us a link NV.

Still got plenty of my Aventus left but for £20 I will investigate further.

Edit : Just seen above post, cheers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Drop us a link NV.

Still got plenty of my Aventus left but for £20 I will investigate further.

Edit : Just seen above post, cheers.

I'd imagine if I slipped into your gaff tonight - as I do most nights - and replaced the contents of your Aventus bottle with this, I bet you wouldn't notice.

If you're really smelling hard, looking for it, you can tell a little bit in the first minute, but only a bit. After that... Lovely. You still get the pineapple and that, but maybe not quite so rich when comparing directly. If you spray it and go to work rather than inspect it, the no difference.