You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Funnneeeee 'slams' Gerrard for inability to be a defensive midfielder

Gym Beglin

So Funnneee wants to play Flanagan or Sakho at DM or if that sound logic does not pan out, go after an illegal transfer of a player - that about sum this thread up?

You are the master of surmising arguments.

Illegal transfer? How about we find out the actual status of his contract before we armchair-lawyer it to death?

And no, I didn't suggest Sakho should be our DM, he ticks no box except the size box.

Gerrard's displays at DM make me pine for Biscan.

I honestly believe if we'd won the league last year, Rodgers would have been dropping/resting Rodgers more this season.  We haven't had a manager in charge, ever, who due to outright success has ever been in a higher position of power/authority than Gerrard.

Wouldn't rule out this experiment entirely.

I said last year that I didn't think Rodgers had the bollocks to bench Gerrard (admittedly before we went on that amazing run). I still think that. He definitely played a part in us scoring shit loads of goals but he also played a major part in us conceding a shit load too.

Surely it's school boy Fifa-stuff this? Play an AM as a DM and you will score more but also concede more. If Rodgers is going to turn this round (which I'm starting to doubt he will) conventional knowledge would say that the best way to do it is to start tightening up the back.

So again the question is: does Rodgers have the bollocks to bench Gerrard?

A second question: does Rodgers know how to setup a team to defend? 

No for both for me.

He's never a defensive midfielder. He's setup to be a deep-lying, orchestrater of the team. Like Pirlo. But not half as effective. That's never been Gerrard's role and he'll never be as good in that position. He's not bad in this role but by not having a dedicated defensive midfielder alongside him our defence is massively vulnerable.

Fat Lampard is still playing in his strongest position so why don't we move Gerrard up the field where he is more effective? Or if he's deemed to not being good enough any longer in the roles he previously occupied, why not drop him?

He's never a defensive midfielder. He's setup to be a deep-lying, orchestrater of the team. Like Pirlo. But not half as effective. That's never been Gerrard's role and he'll never be as good in that position. He's not bad in this role but by not having a dedicated defensive midfielder alongside him our defence is massively vulnerable.

Fat Lampard is still playing in his strongest position so why don't we move Gerrard up the field where he is more effective? Or if he's deemed to not being good enough any longer in the roles he previously occupied, why not drop him?

Amnesty material this: Lampard is a  more intelligent player than Gerrard and his short passing game is far superior. 

Amnesty material this: Lampard is a  more intelligent player than Gerrard and his short passing game is far superior. 

The only thing of Gerrard's that's inferior to Lampard is his body mass index.

Conclusive proof this thread of why loyalty in football is a load of my arse and only expected to go in one direction. Suarez is in his prime - fuck him for wanting to leave - Gerrard is slowing down - fuck him for wanting to play. Ours when we want you, dismissed when you're slowing down or old. By all means, we should have a DM, Gerrard should only be playing in crucial matches, but (a) none of that is his fault and ( 2) there's a respectful way to approach it. We're talking about him here as though he should just be 'dispensed' with. It's the kind of talk Carra was getting before he packed in and I don't blame him for leaving when he did either. Gerrard probably should have quit with his head high before the World Cup.

• Upvote 4

The only thing of Gerrard's that's inferior to Lampard is his body mass index.

Conclusive proof this thread of why loyalty in football is a load of my arse and only expected to go in one direction. Suarez is in his prime - fuck him for wanting to leave - Gerrard is slowing down - fuck him for wanting to play. Ours when we want you, dismissed when you're slowing down or old. By all means, we should have a DM, Gerrard should only be playing in crucial matches, but (a) none of that is his fault and ( 2) there's a respectful way to approach it. We're talking about him here as though he should just be 'dispensed' with. It's the kind of talk Carra was getting before he packed in and I don't blame him for leaving when he did either. Gerrard probably should have quit with his head high before the World Cup.

Off to the glue factory for Boxer, apparently.  He can "fuck off" some say.  Staggering stuff.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard wouldn't get near Chelsea's or City's matchday squad in his current role. Tells you about all you need to know about our title challenge, both this year and last.

Teams just pour through our midfield with the ball at their feet. This isn't going to get any better.

He'd be straight into Chelsea's team.

Funny how Lucas hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Lucas can still do a good job as a DM, anywhere else on the pitch forget it but in Gerrards position he can do a solid job. Last season when Gerrard was injured Lucas done well there, him, Henderson and Allen had a fantastic game away to Spurs and played really well away to City and Chelsea in games we really didn't deserve to lose, especially City. Rodgers has lost his mind playing Lucas and Gerrard in the midfield together this season, it's one or the other, i'd back Lucas to do a good job if he came in for Gerrard to play in his proper position.

I disagree. Lucas has turned into a professional fouler. Saw a lot of it when he played last season, and he's picked up where he left off , this one.

Those fouls will cost us in conceded goals

We have few options, and Rodgers has basically taken his eye off the ball, allowing his personal life to override his professional one. She must be some fucking pussy. This is the exact WRONG time for the manager to have a mid life fucking crisis. However, the buck stops with him. Surely all this was in the submitted dossier, and Henry is ok with it all? Just sayin'.

As a play whereverhewantser. Mourinho loves Gerrard and it's no secret that he wanted him at Real Madrid 2 seasons ago, as well as at Chelsea. Twice, I believe.

Mourinho loved Gerrard two years ago. I loved Gerrard two years ago as well, because it was two years ago. One year, at age 32, can change a lot about a player's game. He's 34 now. Mourinho 'loved' Lampard until he bought Fabregas and Matic. Mourinho loves Drogba, but not as much as he loves the 'injured' Costa and Remy.

The only reason Mourinho would countenance buying Gerrard now and including him in his matchday squad would be to spite us and to try and show Rodgers up.

Thing is, if Gerrard had Matic behind him then he'd be alright. Which is basically the point of the thread, he needs a DM to help him, because he's not a DM, at all.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Rafa once say that he thought Gerrard would finish his career playing up front? Maybe the game's changed too much in the last few years for that to happen though.

I always thought he'd end up at the back somewhere, he was a pretty shit hot right back on occasion.