You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Funnneeeee 'slams' Gerrard for inability to be a defensive midfielder

Gym Beglin

I've got plenty of anti-neg in the bank, feel free to decimate it.

This Gerrard defensive midfielder bollocks has to stop.

He's not a defensive screen, players coast past him, it's brutal to watch and it's only going to get worse. We, in effect, don't play with a defensive midfielder. People say that we played 4231 last night, but it's misleading, we played 451 and not one of those 5 midfielders was a defensive midfielder.

The last defensive midfielder I saw in a Liverpool shirt was probably Jay Spearing in 2012, and even then he wasn't great at it. Prior to that, we're talking Mascherano and Sissoko. These are the types of players that allow players like Alonso and Gerrard to play.

Right now there's a free signing to be had, Lassana Diarra is just begging to be signed, and so many of these problems would go away. Not all, but we might at least start to collect some clean sheets, especially if we pick up Valdes on a free as well.

Stevie isn't careful enough, he's not defensive minded, he's not trying to control possession of the ball, he's trying to attack from deep at all times. Total train crash, just like he was last season when we conceded 50 fucking goals, and now we're seeing exactly the same thing from him but without Suarez bailing the team out.

It's just time to draw a line under this nonsense. Do we have to concede over 100 goals in two seasons to prove that Gerrard isn't a defensive midfielder anymore or can we just stop at the current total and take it as read?

And another thing, his corners and indirect free-kicks are nothing special, in fact, they're mainly wank. Do I watch different games to some of you?

Let's give the defence a fucking chance to do their jobs by bringing in a midfielder who can help to protect them. We can than talk about a place in the team for Gerrard elsewhere, but for fucks sake let's stop this mirage that he's Fernando/Fernandinho/Schweinsteiger/Vidal/Busquets/Matic/Strootman/Khedira etc. He's not even Wilshire/Yacob/McCarthy/Schneiderlin. Not even close.

And he wasn't last season either.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stats-zone-premier-league-central-midfielder-season-201314

'Liverpool fans might cry out for Steven Gerrard in this category, and while it's true the Liverpool skipper enjoyed an excellent campaign in the holding role, Jedinak was simply far better defensively. Gerrard's passing was excellent (1,908 completed at 86%) and he assisted 13 goals as the Reds made a strong claim for the title, but he also made 5 defensive errors (only Mark Noble and Marc Wilson made more as outfield players with 6), three times fewer interceptions and 43 fewer clearances. Working for his back line, England's leader wasn't all that.'

Not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Blame the Manager. He plays him in that position and should have actually bought a good quality Defensive Midfielder in the Summer. It's been obvious we've been crying out for an actual good one for ages.

I'm not saying we shouldn't, you're absolutely right.

That said, perhaps he put all his eggs in the basket marked 'Can', whereas we should have really thought about another back-up with a bit of experience.

That 'Die' last night showed how it was done. Just bluster and big bollocks, but it's too much for us, we've no answer for it, we lack power in the middle.

I feel sorry for the defence in a way, how many other teams just do away with the defensive midfielder altogether? When other teams are on the attack, Gerrard may as well roll over and play dead. If he stays on his feet outside of the centre circle then he's dead on his feet because they knock it past him and stroll onto the ball. His other trick is to drop so far back that he's a centre back, and causes all sorts of mayhem with their own game.

• Upvote 1

I've got plenty of anti-neg in the bank, feel free to decimate it.

This Gerrard defensive midfielder bollocks has to stop.

He's not a defensive screen, players coast past him, it's brutal to watch and it's only going to get worse. We, in effect, don't play with a defensive midfielder. People say that we played 4231 last night, but it's misleading, we played 451 and not one of those 5 midfielders was a defensive midfielder.

The last defensive midfielder I saw in a Liverpool shirt was probably Jay Spearing in 2012, and even then he wasn't great at it. Prior to that, we're talking Mascherano and Sissoko. These are the types of players that allow players like Alonso and Gerrard to play.

Right now there's a free signing to be had, Lassana Diarra is just begging to be signed, and so many of these problems would go away. Not all, but we might at least start to collect some clean sheets, especially if we pick up Valdes on a free as well.

Stevie isn't careful enough, he's not defensive minded, he's not trying to control possession of the ball, he's trying to attack from deep at all times. Total train crash, just like he was last season when we conceded 50 fucking goals, and now we're seeing exactly the same thing from him but without Suarez bailing the team out.

It's just time to draw a line under this nonsense. Do we have to concede over 100 goals in two seasons to prove that Gerrard isn't a defensive midfielder anymore or can we just stop at the current total and take it as read?

And another thing, his corners and indirect free-kicks are nothing special, in fact, they're mainly wank. Do I watch different games to some of you?

Let's give the defence a fucking chance to do their jobs by bringing in a midfielder who can help to protect them. We can than talk about a place in the team for Gerrard elsewhere, but for fucks sake let's stop this mirage that he's Fernando/Fernandinho/Schweinsteiger/Vidal/Busquets/Matic/Strootman/Khedira etc. He's not even Wilshire/Yacob/McCarthy/Schneiderlin. Not even close.

And he wasn't last season either.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/stats-zone-premier-league-central-midfielder-season-201314

'Liverpool fans might cry out for Steven Gerrard in this category, and while it's true the Liverpool skipper enjoyed an excellent campaign in the holding role, Jedinak was simply far better defensively. Gerrard's passing was excellent (1,908 completed at 86%) and he assisted 13 goals as the Reds made a strong claim for the title, but he also made 5 defensive errors (only Mark Noble and Marc Wilson made more as outfield players with 6), three times fewer interceptions and 43 fewer clearances. Working for his back line, England's leader wasn't all that.'

Not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Nail on the f**ing head!

Some say Gerrard hasn't got the feet anymore to do the DM job. I just don't know about that.. The big problem is, however, he hasn't got the head to do it.

We're in desperat need of a DM. For 3 transfer windows now we've failed to address the problem. Next window? Nah we'd probably ignore it again.

I have less of an issue Gerrard playing that role, but not every game. You pick and choose depending on oppostion and fitness. Of course we needed another midfielder, but Rodgers wanted more attacking players. Last time I checked people on here hammered Hodgson for playing Gerrard and Henderson in a two, but Rodgers does it and it is Gerrard fault.

Rodgers needs to stop gushing about Gerrard though, it makes him look weak. Not sure what it does for morale in the squad which is a bigger worry. When one player makes a mistake and gets slated and another gets praised and their faults overlooked.

I could understand not getting a dm when we were mainly playing 433 or a diamond but now that we have been playing 4231 I am disappointed and think Rodgers should have got a top dm.

Two things fans will have learnt so far this season, how crucial a player like Allen is to our first eleven and not any rb is better then GJ like was made out by a lot last season.I used to see glen get criticised for any cross that didn't find its target, he would at least create some chances while manquillo fails to constantly despite getting in good positions.

We have two major issues in this team, the first is Gerrard as a DM, and the second is Balotelli being played as a lone frontman.

But part of the reason we have to play Balotelli as a lone striker is because we're unable to play a midfield diamond because we haven't got a DM.

--------------Sturridge/Balotelli----Borini/Lambert---------

----------------------Sterling/Markovic---------------------

----Allen/Gerrard/Coutinho-------------Henderson/Lallana----

----------------------Diarra/Can-----------------------------

It's the only way out of this fucking mess.

I'm not saying we shouldn't, you're absolutely right.

That said, perhaps he put all his eggs in the basket marked 'Can', whereas we should have really thought about another back-up with a bit of experience.

That 'Die' last night showed how it was done. Just bluster and big bollocks, but it's too much for us, we've no answer for it, we lack power in the middle.

I feel sorry for the defence in a way, how many other teams just do away with the defensive midfielder altogether? When other teams are on the attack, Gerrard may as well roll over and play dead. If he stays on his feet outside of the centre circle then he's dead on his feet because they knock it past him and stroll onto the ball. His other trick is to drop so far back that he's a centre back, and causes all sorts of mayhem with their own game.

All we're doing is blaming our central defenders, buy new ones and ship out others. We'll probably continue to do that. I agree they've been responsible for some poor defending, especially on set pieces this season.

But with no protection at all and fullbacks bombing forward Baresi and Maldini would look shit. The real problem isn't bad defenders it's the way we're organized. Agger supposedly had an argument with BR and that was part reason for him leaving. Agger is no fool, and knows how to defend. I can only guess what that argument was about.

Rodgers needs to stop gushing about Gerrard though, it makes him look weak. Not sure what it does for morale in the squad which is a bigger worry. When one player makes a mistake and gets slated and another gets praised and their faults overlooked.

Agree with this, but his hands are tied. One needs only read the sunshiner comments about Gerrard on here to realise that Rodgers is unable to do anything with Gerrard other than praise him as often as he can. I think a lot of fans secretly wish Gerrard would be moved, but will not be the first to voice that. I think Rodgers is aware that by siding with Gerrard that he buys himself time/excuses in the eyes of supporters.

It's all very well for Gerrard to talk about 'desire' in his teammates, but it's not going to help. Henderson's doing everything he can to help mask Stevie's deficiencies but it comes at a cost to Henderson's ability to get up and down to help attacks.

Rodgers talks about tempo and pressure but then goes out of his way to pick Gerrard each game, a player who can't press and constantly slows the tempo by hitting long passes from the back. I can see how other players in the team must get confused by this praise for qualities that he doesn't demand of his players?

I'm totally lost as to what system Rodgers is trying to play. Is this a pressing team where a key midfielder doesn't need to press? How does that even work? Where's the equivalent player in Dortmund's midfield who sits like a quarterback and doesn't press? Or what about Chile's midfield, or Barca's? Even Xavi isn't starting every game now, and he can still press harder than Stevie. You can point to Bayern, with Alonso and Martinez I suppose, but those players are proper central midfielders with a defensive mindset to control possession and they are incredibly intelligent in their positioning and movement.

• Upvote 2

Fucking amazing isnt it?

Franco Totti is still play for Roma at 39(?) and is considered a god. Gerrard is still playing for Liverpool at 34 and some think he's the reason we're conceeding shit goals and playing shit.

You couldnt make some of this stuff up.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Fucking amazing isnt it?

Franco Totti is still play for Roma at 39(?) and is considered a god. Gerrard is still playing for Liverpool at 34 and some think he's the reason we're conceeding shit goals and playing shit.

One of the them plays upfront in Serie A, the other plays as the holding midfielder in the Premier League.

You've inadvertently supported what you're attempting to argue against.

• Upvote 5

Funnneeeee, bearing in mind Can will be out for at least another month or so, and Diarra doesn't play for us, who would you play as the deepest midfielder now?

I'd give Allen a go there. He can't be worse than Gerrard. Play Lallana and Henderson ahead of him.

Is Allen not out for a similar period as well?

My answer is feeble, I can't think of anyone, we haven't got one. They may have athletic attributes, like Enrique or Sakho, but they just won't have the technical attributes to pull it off.

The only left-field shout is Jordan Lussey. Literally, the ONLY one I can think of who might have an outside chance of doing it.

Had Flannagan been fit, I'd have seen what he could do for a couple of games.

Gerrard is too old to be the star and anchor of the midfield, but nobody else has the ability or experience to do it, so it's all eyes on him, ideally he should be a luxury further up the pitch as the others have alluded to. As also said it's 100% on the managers head, nothing to do with Gerrard, he's actually, as far as I can see, said play me wherever you want, i'll do my best, there's been no ego at all, that's plain as day, hardly seems fair people are having a pop.

• Upvote 2

Fucking amazing isnt it?

Totti isn't playing defensive midfielder. If he was then Roma would concede 8 in every game.

Instead they got a draw at City, with Seydou Keita in midfield. Big strong lad, job done. And in addition to that they also have De Rossi and Strootman. Basically they'd piss all over us at present.

As it goes Keita is also 34 but he's an actual defensive midfielder who can still run a bit and can win physical battles, who takes up good positions.

Is Allen not out for a similar period as well?

My answer is feeble, I can't think of anyone, we haven't got one. They may have athletic attributes, like Enrique or Sakho, but they just won't have the technical attributes to pull it off.

The only left-field shout is Jordan Lussey. Literally, the ONLY one I can think of who might have an outside chance of doing it.

Had Flannagan been fit, I'd have seen what he could do for a couple of games.

I thought Allen was back quite soon? 

I agree, we have fuck all options. Rodgers mistakenly thought last season was blueprint for long term success. Even if it was, which I don't think it was, we now don't have the best player in the world bailing us out.

All this is moot because I can guarantee you that Gerrard will continue playing in this position and in pretty much every game

Sadly this is going to be the case. Rodgers won't drop him.

All this is moot because I can guarantee you that Gerrard will continue playing in this position and in pretty much every game

I think this is true, he will. We didn't buy young Can, with one full season under his belt, to replace Gerrard. At least you would hope we didn't. He is just cover, see Manquillo.

Funnneeeee, bearing in mind Can will be out for at least another month or so, and Diarra doesn't play for us, who would you play as the deepest midfielder now?

I'd give Allen a go there. He can't be worse than Gerrard. Play Lallana and Henderson ahead of him.

Funny how Lucas hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Lucas can still do a good job as a DM, anywhere else on the pitch forget it but in Gerrards position he can do a solid job.

Last season when Gerrard was injured Lucas done well there, him, Henderson and Allen had a fantastic game away to Spurs and played really well away to City and Chelsea in games we really didn't deserve to lose, especially City.

Rodgers has lost his mind playing Lucas and Gerrard in the midfield together this season, it's one or the other, i'd back Lucas to do a good job if he came in for Gerrard to play in his proper position.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One of the them plays upfront in Serie A, the other plays as the holding midfielder in the Premier League.

You've inadvertently supported what you're attempting to argue against.

It dont matter where they play so no, Im not supporting what Im arguing against.