You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing Suarez

boots123

It's not just Suarez that we're missing though. We're missing 4 players from the team that finished last season.

How can we reach that level again when those players are missing?

We won't know how much he's missed until we have the likes of Sturridge and Allen back.

• Upvote 2

We should always have a plan in place for when Sturridge and Allen are out because they're both injury prone.  We went into the season knowing they would miss games..  Lallana is quite capable of filling in for Allen but the cover for Sturridge has been dire.  That's where we failed in the transfer market.  Markovic has also been dreadful so far and Coutinho likewise.  In attack only Sterling has been at the level required and one player ain't enough.

Suarez was a tit. Brilliant player. But a tit. I can honestly say I'm glad he's gone. But yes, we are missing his drive (even though he couldn't have played for us yet anyway had he stayed) but our biggest problem has been the hangover from last years oh-so-close title push. Not surprisingly it's affected Gerrard, but another key players, Sterling, is also having a lull. That coupled with the key injuries and our poor keeper has hit us hard. The injured players will come back, and Gerrard and Sterling will both get their form back. Just hopefully it won't be too late.

• Upvote 1

Sterling is looking like a kid w/o his dad. There's no doubt Luis was a mentor to him - he was probably like that to several players.

I do believe that if Sturridge stays fit long enough, he'll find his best form - it was lacking at the world cup. He could well shine right up there as brightly for us as the crazy diamond.

No, for me the real issue is the disconnect between the deep players and the attacking mids. Also, I'd be giving Borini a run ahead of Ballotelli.

Luis is gone, and we have to go again w/o him.

• Downvote 1

Suarez was a tit. Brilliant player. But a tit. I can honestly say I'm glad he's gone.

I can't believe anyone actually thinks like this.

The guy is driven to win to the point of distraction and literally to a fault. Off the field would seemingly be a different story.

I'd love him back.

• Upvote 3

I can't believe anyone actually thinks like this.The guy is driven to win to the point of distraction and literally to a fault. Off the field would seemingly be a different story.I'd love him back.

I think that players have their times and moments at clubs. He was awesome on the field for us, but didn't want to be here any more. He will never return.

He spent all of his spare time in Barcelona When he publicly gave Gerard a Barca Suarez shirt, rather than accepting a Gerrard Liverpool shirt, it told you all you need to know about his loyalty, and the man.

I think that players have their times and moments at clubs. He was awesome on the field for us, but didn't want to be here any more. He will never return.

He spent all of his spare time in Barcelona When he publicly gave Gerard a Barca Suarez shirt, rather than accepting a Gerrard Liverpool shirt, it told you all you need to know about his loyalty, and the man.

What did that shirt lark tell you about the man?

And I wasn't arguing the fact he wanted to go to Barcelona. I was commenting on the fact that someone said they're 'glad he's gone'.

I can't believe anyone actually thinks like this.

The guy is driven to win to the point of distraction and literally to a fault. Off the field would seemingly be a different story.

I'd love him back.

Agree with that.

We miss him badly. Don't care how many faults he had, he was well worth it. 

Sterling has been brilliant this season.

He's started well, no doubt. However, he'lost some focus on the field He's trying too hard - I dont mean effort, I am tense. He is missing the example that Suarez was. It's not meant as a criticism, just an observation. It doesnt mean he wont find himself, he will. They had something very special and its gone. He'll be hurting.

He's started well, no doubt. However, he'lost some focus on the field He's trying too hard - I dont mean effort, I am tense. He is missing the example that Suarez was. It's not meant as a criticism, just an observation. It doesnt mean he wont find himself, he will. They had something very special and its gone. He'll be hurting.

I probably agree with about zero of that.

• Upvote 1

I find it staggering that any Liverpool fan could be glad that Suarez is gone, a man who very nearly dragged us to the league.
Even with his ban and our abysmal start, he'd have had us in the title mix again this season.
I would have thought gratitude that he'd departed was the preserve of Daily Mail columnists and Jose Mourinho.

• Upvote 3

What did that shirt lark tell you about the man?

Self- centred, not a team man, no respect for the players, fans and club who had supported him.

"Look at me I got my big money move to Barca" not, "I want a public memento of a great player, club and fans, please could I have your shirt Steve."

Self- centred, not a team man, no respect for the players, fans and club who had supported him.

"Look at me I got my big money move to Barca" not, "I want a public memento of a great player, club and fans, please could I have your shirt Steve."

His absolute joy at every goal Sterling, Sturridge and everybody else scored last season said enough to me about what a team man he was.

Dear me, you got all that from a shirt swap?

And he was a team man. He was incredibly selfless on the pitch. How many assists last season? How much are we missing his pressing from the front right now?

• Upvote 1

Fans find some weird shit to argue about at times.

Dear me, you got all that from a shirt swap?

And he was a team man. He was incredibly selfless on the pitch. How many assists last season? How much are we missing his pressing from the front right now?

Yes I did. It was a staged, calculating move from a calculating man.

I agree that on the pitch he gave his all. Off the pitch he gave nothing. That focus and introversion was what made him, a contrary, infuriating, package.

We all loved his goals and the contribution he made personally, and psychologically, on the pitch. But the fans showed a loyalty to him off the pitch that he never repaid.

There is so much talk about how we are reliant on Daniel Sturridge to save our season and what have you.

We spent £115m+ in the transfer window, and we are reliant on Sturridge?

Doesn't say much about the players we brought in does it?

This. Everyone skirting around the fact £115m was spent so we would have quality back up if Sturridge or whoever from the first team got injured. The buys are so far removed from what was needed we are worse as a team and imbalanced as a squad.

Yes I did. It was a staged, calculating move from a calculating man.

I agree that on the pitch he gave his all. Off the pitch he gave nothing. That focus and introversion was what made him, a contrary, infuriating, package.

We all loved his goals and the contribution he made personally, and psychologically, on the pitch. But the fans showed a loyalty to him off the pitch that he never repaid.

Loyalty in football has gone, baby, gone.