You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Holiday thread

JagSquared

Can't find an old thread and I don't want to high jack the other holiday threads.

So I turn 30 on in early January and ideally want to be abroad for this. Now due to other holiday and work commitments I can only really go from the Wednesday to Sunday so 5 days including traveling time. Ideally I want to be somewhere it won't rain and with interesting things to do.

Obvious options are long weekends in Dubai etc but the other half has been and wasn't impressed and they don't grab me either. I would go to New York but it's her birthday in May and that's where she has decided to go.

So 5 days therefore it can't be too far. Ideally I'd like somewhere warm but will take cold and interesting, rain is what I want to avoid but appreciate my options are limited.

Ideas?

I'd usually say Santorini is all you need. It's my favourite place on earth, and I'm fortunate enough to have seen a few. But January is not the time to go (may-oct is the sweet spot)

In January and with only 5 days you'll want a city break in Europe I reckon. Rome or Venice would be my recommendations. If you need any pointers on them send me a pm.

i know an amazing apartment to stay in the old town in Rome, just off Piazza Navona that is cheaper than just about all Rome hotels. 

It's in a 13th century building and even has its own little roof terrace. Proper gorgeous. Chicks dig it. 

I'd usually say Santorini is all you need. It's my favourite place on earth, and I'm fortunate enough to have seen a few. But January is not the time to go (may-oct is the sweet spot)

In January and with only 5 days you'll want a city break in Europe I reckon. Rome or Venice would be my recommendations. If you need any pointers on them send me a pm.

Or have a look in the Rome or Italy threads. 

Tom R will have you balls deep in a waiter and his wife on the first night and banged up on the 2nd. 

i know an amazing apartment to stay in the old town in Rome, just off Piazza Navona that is cheaper than just about all Rome hotels. 

It's in a 13th century building and even has its own little roof terrace. Proper gorgeous. Chicks dig it. 

could have told me when I put the italy thread up mate 

I'd previously discounted Italy on account the weather will be a bit shit but to be fair Tom has sold that pretty well.

Stig - of the ones you mentioned I'm doing Istanbul next year and Marrakech is supposed to be rather chilly and would it not be out of season so would there still be things to do there?

City breaks Sound ok but I hate the rain and did consider the places like Amsterdam but is 5 days in one city not too much? Especially with the other half?

Anyone been to rekyavick? Is it the right time to go to see the northern lights?

Guest Super Sub

Can't find an old thread and I don't want to high jack the other holiday threads.

So I turn 30 on in early January and ideally want to be abroad for this. Now due to other holiday and work commitments I can only really go from the Wednesday to Sunday so 5 days including traveling time. Ideally I want to be somewhere it won't rain and with interesting things to do.

Obvious options are long weekends in Dubai etc but the other half has been and wasn't impressed and they don't grab me either. I would go to New York but it's her birthday in May and that's where she has decided to go.

So 5 days therefore it can't be too far. Ideally I'd like somewhere warm but will take cold and interesting, rain is what I want to avoid but appreciate my options are limited.

Ideas?

I have heard Palma in Majorca is very good.

Somewhere in Eastern Europe...Riga, Prague, Krakow, Budapest or Vienna/Bratislava

Good thing about the above is that they are all well worth seeing and have good rail links to you can travel about easily

Bad thing is that the weather will almost certainly be shite although you may get lucky and have cold and crisp which is ace

If you want sun then Canaries or Cape Verde further south or The Gambia is meant to be good

I'd previously discounted Italy on account the weather will be a bit shit but to be fair Tom has sold that pretty well.

Stig - of the ones you mentioned I'm doing Istanbul next year and Marrakech is supposed to be rather chilly and would it not be out of season so would there still be things to do there?

City breaks Sound ok but I hate the rain and did consider the places like Amsterdam but is 5 days in one city not too much? Especially with the other half?

Anyone been to rekyavick? Is it the right time to go to see the northern lights?

Rekjavik's lovely, but I don't know what you'd do there for five nights. It's pretty small, so you'd do one day golden circle, one day spa, one night northern lights and maybe one day on a glacier? But it's ridiculously expensive and pretty small for 5 nights.

I visited Marrakech a couple of years ago in January and I didn't like it. It was warm-ish, but not hot. The city is very dirty and there wasn't much to do, but some people love it. I hate being constantly sold to as well, and most of the time I just wanted to get out the city because of the constant hassle to buy anything for 50 Dirham.

The south of Italy would be good. Go visit a couple of Agriturismos and try local food and drink - especially fresh mozarella for breakfast in the morning. Or go on a skiing trip in the Alps? Berlin's pretty good too - great beer, loads to see and do and not an expensive place to visit. Vienna's pretty too, and loads to see and do there. Cold though.

Have you thought about a flight to Boston? Should only be 7 hours or so, and you could take a day trip to the White Mountains.

Tried PM'ing you but it says you cant recieve any more messages. If you have a link to this place that would be awesome.

Cheers.

Rekjavik's lovely, but I don't know what you'd do there for five nights. It's pretty small, so you'd do one day golden circle, one day spa, one night northern lights and maybe one day on a glacier? But it's ridiculously expensive and pretty small for 5 nights.

I visited Marrakech a couple of years ago in January and I didn't like it. It was warm-ish, but not hot. The city is very dirty and there wasn't much to do, but some people love it. I hate being constantly sold to as well, and most of the time I just wanted to get out the city because of the constant hassle to buy anything for 50 Dirham.

The south of Italy would be good. Go visit a couple of Agriturismos and try local food and drink - especially fresh mozarella for breakfast in the morning. Or go on a skiing trip in the Alps? Berlin's pretty good too - great beer, loads to see and do and not an expensive place to visit. Vienna's pretty too, and loads to see and do there. Cold though.

Have you thought about a flight to Boston? Should only be 7 hours or so, and you could take a day trip to the White Mountains.

Some good suggestions there again id like to do southern italy but perhaps when its a bit warmer but eating shit loads sounds great. I have the same reservations about Marrakesh though and i think i'd just get pissed off with it. 

Thanks for the heads up on Iceland, 5 days does sound alot when I google it. 

I think Easyjet fly to Iceland for pretty cheap now.

Give us an idea of what kind of holidays you've enjoyed in the past, I can recommend loads of great hostelling and adventure trips but then that probably doesn't suit a couples holiday

Right think im going for a city break. Its going to be cold and wet (most likely) but who cares, I might as well embrace it. Will look into City breaks but I think I want to stay away from Italy/ Spain etc as i would always prefer to visit them at a warmer time of year. 

Have a few ideas such as the Scando's Copenhagen, Oslo or Stockholm appeals. We could do a trip from Helsinki to St Petersburg (3.5 hours on a train) with a couple of days in both or a trip to Vienna and Bratislava as both the latter 2 options are close by. There'll be plenty of things to do in both museums, shows, food and drink etc. Anyone been to the above places?