You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moneyball signings v Rodgers signings?

Gnasher

From another thread, probably more relevant in this one...

An interesting post in full.

There has always been a bit of bravado about Rodgers.

With a second place finish last year, his transfer dealings have “worked” in the end result.

On 23/6/11 Roma bought Borini for 5.3m euro, six weeks later we bought him for 13.3m euro on 50k a week. If that is evidence of Rodgers being behind everything then I am not sure that I would be shouting quite so loud if I were him.

Any transfer is an uncertain mix of agent’s fees, transfer fee, wage demands ,payment terms, medical history and availability. Sometimes you have your back to the wall and overpay, sometimes you buy a player because he is better than what you have because he is available even if he is not your pressing need when there is n-one better available. It always strikes me how much luck there is in transfers coming off, not judgement.

Some of them were first choice, some not.  Sanchez was first choice to replace Suarez, then

Falcao, but neither wanted the move. Remy was first choice backup striker to Sturridge but that fell through, Shaqiri was also first choice winger and that didn't happen so we moved on Markovic.

Moreno was first choice left back, we were in for Bertrand due to stalling with Sevilla, Lovren looked like first choice and Rodgers blatantly told Ayre to go get Lallana at any cost. 

With a second place finish last year, his transfer dealings have “worked” in the end result.

On 23/6/11 Roma bought Borini for 5.3m euro, six weeks later we bought him for 13.3m euro on 50k a week. If that is evidence of Rodgers being behind everything then I am not sure that I would be shouting quite so loud if I were him.

Any transfer is an uncertain mix of agent’s fees, transfer fee, wage demands ,payment terms, medical history and availability. Sometimes you have your back to the wall and overpay, sometimes you buy a player because he is better than what you have because he is available even if he is not your pressing need when there is n-one better available. It always strikes me how much luck there is in transfers coming off, not judgement.

Nowhere near as bad as painted when the crucial information they paid it for the remaining 50% of Borini's rights they didn't already own is included.

• Upvote 1

You sure it wasn't more a case of:

On 23/6/11 Roma paid another 5,3m, additional to the 5.3m they had already paid for 1/2 his rights, ....

They actually paid far less for the initial 50%, but that was presumably because his star rose in the interim through performance in Serie A. 

Nonetheless, 5.3M Euros for 50% of something's value at a specific time doesn't ask too much of anyone wishing to work out 100% of it's full market value on the same day.

We paid above that figure, but nothing like more than double, and no doubt Roma wanted some on top due to the fact he'd been a relative success and had promise to improve further due to age.

They actually paid far less for the initial 50%, but that was presumably because his star rose in the interim through performance in Serie A. 

Nonetheless, 5.3M Euros for 50% of something's value at a specific time doesn't ask too much of anyone wishing to work out 100% of it's full market value on the same day.

We paid above that figure, but nothing like more than double, and no doubt Roma wanted some on top due to the fact he'd been a relative success and had promise to improve further due to age.

Sussed!  I figured why should Xerxes be the only one pulling stuff out his ass though.

• Upvote 1

My take on it is Rodgers gets to make the big signings he wants while is happy to accept some options from the Committee for the squad as long as it does not affect him getting his main targets.

Its the only thing I could come up with that would make sense as some signings like an aspas or alberto do not look like they were a Rodgers signing but he was happy to go along with it, I agree with gnashers list for who signed who apart from maybe markovic, Rodgers talked highly of him when signed and seems to be giving him a lot of time on the pitch.

Oh and for the record, I think Rodgers is ace

I think there is a danger that every transfer is judged in isolation.

Last year we finished second, which was a hell of a result. This season we have won our CL game and are still in the LC, the league programme has barely started.

I am pretty confident that at the end of this season he will have done ok too

• Upvote 1

My take on it is Rodgers gets to make the big signings he wants while is happy to accept some options from the Committee for the squad as long as it does not affect him getting his main targets.

That would be a funny way to run a business, especially as the only increase in sell on value would come from playing in the squad and impressing other teams. Unless, of course, Rodgers is not actually picking the team, which will be the final excuse for him.

If he says he decides, they're his.

That would be a funny way to run a business, especially as the only increase in sell on value would come from playing in the squad and impressing other teams. Unless, of course, Rodgers is not actually picking the team, which will be the final excuse for him.

If he says he decides, they're his.

I don't think what I have said is far fetched, there is a 'committee' in place that looks at transfers that has been in place from day one when Rodgers got there.Their opinion is obviously valued when it comes to signings, when Rodgers needs players Im sure he goes to them for suggestions and Imo it looks like he is willing to trust their judgement for some squad players and goes along with it.

Obviously he will have the final say as if there is a player he thinks wont fit in there's no point.Its a no lose situation for him as if they flop it goes on the committee and if it works hes got a player for the squad, Chelsea certainly operate that way aswell while I'm sure other prem teams do, a lot of European teams aswell.

Edited by JermainePennant