You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what car do you drive?

Guest Pistonbroke

'15 plate Ford Focus. It's pretty nice to drive, in fact only noticed how nice it was when we took it in for repairs to the door last week and got given a Toyota Aygo for the duration as a courtesy car, which is incredibly noisy, as smooth as Chuck Norris chin and handles like an articulated lorry in comparison.   

I upgraded last night. Got myself a 2011 Kia C'eed 1.6CDTi. Got 78Mpg on the journey home from the dealer. Lovely little car! Bluetooth, Aux, USB, great A/c, drives well, comfortable, immaculate condition.

Posted Image

I love the fact I read this and think to myself.

"now that's some high quality fuel efficiency "

Yep, it's none of that max power, turbo super charged shite for me anymore.

But all joking aside. That must fill up on the fumes of a petrol station!

• Upvote 1

I love the fact I read this and think to myself.

"now that's some high quality fuel efficiency "

Yep, it's none of that max power, turbo super charged shite for me anymore.

But all joking aside. That must fill up on the fumes of a petrol station!

Yea I was looking at a Leon FR. And I thought better of it. This was cheaper, newer, more fuel efficient, better condition, more warranty, cheaper to tax, cheaper to insure, better spec (all features apart from power really) No brainer. And I genuinely couldn't be happier with it. Plus I happen to like the look of it. The seller was showing me the facelift models, 2013/14 and they were nice, but I honestly preferred this one. Looks like a cross between a Volvo C30 and Seat Ibiza, which I like.

Guest Pistonbroke

Had to put my VW in for Inspection, MOT and needed the rear left indicator fixing to get it through the MOT as a few of the LED lamps weren't working. 841 fucking notes, I could fucking cry! Just as well I had some spare cash saved up. 

Guest Pistonbroke

841 Pounds? Sterling? What all needed done?

Euros. It was a main inspection with your usual oil change, brake fluid filters changed etc etc. Side inspection with pollen filters, Air Con checked, clutch system de-aired etc etc... New window wipers were needed front and rear and of course the indicator, when the LED lamps go they have to replace the whole console. Cost of MOT and emission test. 

Euros. It was a main inspection with your usual oil change, brake fluid filters changed etc etc. Side inspection with pollen filters, Air Con checked, clutch system de-aired etc etc... New window wipers were needed front and rear and of course the indicator, when the LED lamps go they have to replace the whole console. Cost of MOT and emission test. 

Fucking hell. Mine was just serviced last month so shouldn't require being looked at until next August. Really appreciating that fact right now.

Guest Pistonbroke

Fucking hell. Mine was just serviced last month so shouldn't require being looked at until next August. Really appreciating that fact right now.

Once you get out of the guarantee period the inspections are quite expensive, especially VW dealers. If I had an old car then I would do most of the work myself and get the stuff I couldn't do done through contacts. But being as my car is only 4 years old (had it 2 years now) it is worth getting it all done through the dealer and the log books kept up to date for when I exchange it or sell it on. I don't do a lot of mileage so the next big inspection and MOT will be in another two years. 

It is always worth putting a bit of cash aside mate. 

Stuff like that I always check myself a few days before so should I need to replace wiper bladed, bulbs, tyres etc, I can do before giving it to the garage and getting ripped off by their prices.

Guest Pistonbroke

Stuff like that I always check myself a few days before so should I need to replace wiper bladed, bulbs, tyres etc, I can do before giving it to the garage and getting ripped off by their prices.

I fucked up on that account as afr as the wiper blades go, but at the end of the day I probably would only have saved 30 notes. The LED console for the indicators were going for 110€-130€ on the web and VW dealer charged me 153 plus 21 for labour, so not a huge difference and the console was a bitch to get at and I just didn't have the time or nerves to fuck about with it. Plus being as it is on the paperwork from the dealer it holds a 2 year guarantee. Buying over the web or from a cheap dealer you don't know if the cunts will be available down the line should you end up with a cheap dodgy replacement. 

With an older car I'd have done the majority of work myself as I mentioned above, but with a young car with low mileage it will probably gain me better leverage when I trade it in for a newer model in about 118 months which is my plan.  

• 9 months later...

I'm rocking a 2004 E-reg Peugeot 307 Auto which was given to me as a freebie from my ma in law having been in france for the past 10 years as she upgraded. It's battered as fuck as she can't park but that makes it better as it's not something I stress over.  Flew through it's MOT  once we took it away from the Peugeot garage (robbing bastards) and to my local one.  It's the first car I've ever technically owned myself, having only learned to drive 2 years ago and used my missus since then, so I'm loving it.  Gonna put a spoiler on it and a pair of comedy plastic fingers sticking out the boot. Dad car. 

Although it was a ball ache getting it registered in the UK (even having to declare it imported etc) it's sound and fast as fuck.  Also makes me wonder why we bother with Manuals when Autos are so much easier to drive. 

Both of our cars packed in the other week around the time I was feeling ill again. A right kick in the teeth it was. Now we're back to sharing the one car again, an 04 Scenic with one of those card key thingamajigs. That's some real Tomorrow's World type shit and I'm actually enjoying driving it. I didn't think I would because my only previous experience of the card keys was when we had a courtesy Megane last year and I managed to stall it three times on the way to the shop before locking myself out of it and having to walk home.

Guest Pistonbroke

I was hoping my car would be a write off after my accident but just had a call this morning that the damage is just over 8000€ so they are fixing it. I shall have to wait to see what the Lawyer does as far as the deprecation worth is and the claim for pain.