You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what car do you drive?

Guest Pistonbroke

Someone has mentioned the new A3 saloon to me. Hadn't considered A3 as thought it was a small coupe but had a look at it. It is 4 door and the same size as the old A4 (which was the size I was considering after getting pissed off with the A6 being awkward with Budapest ). It also has all the new Audi technology that hasn't been released to the other models yet.

Downside

- less room in back but the dog won't mind and everyone else can fuck off

- smaller boot but we'll cope - only time this will be a problem is when the missus decides to take 500 pairs of shoes on holiday

Upside

- I can spec it up to pretty much the max and still be in budget

- shitloads of mad technology like turning it into a 4g wifi hub for my ipad or loading pictures into it and the using Google street view to navigate to them

Seriously tempted to go down this route - although apparently there are also A5 and 4 series saloons now to look at as well.

Someone has mentioned the new A3 saloon to me. Hadn't considered A3 as thought it was a small coupe but had a look at it. It is 4 door and the same size as the old A4 (which was the size I was considering after getting pissed off with the A6 being awkward with Budapest ). It also has all the new Audi technology that hasn't been released to the other models yet.

Downside

- smaller boot but we'll cope - only time this will be a problem is when the missus decides to take 500 pairs of shoes on holiday

Upside

- I can spec it up to pretty much the max and still be in budget

- shitloads of mad technology like turning it into a 4g wifi hub for my ipad or loading pictures into it and the using Google street view to navigate to them

Seriously tempted to go down this route - although apparently there are also A5 and 4 series saloons now to look at as well.

I've had a few Audis in my time but I've never seen the point in an A3.  It looks like what it is, a bloated,overweight and uglier Golf.  I'd definitely get a Golf before an A3.

I've had a few Audis in my time but I've never seen the point in an A3.  It looks like what it is, a bloated,overweight and uglier Golf.  I'd definitely get a Golf before an A3.

Hatchback/Estate I would agree with you but new A3 saloon basically seems to be an A4 now that they have mad the A4 a big bigger

Downside

Did you not say your missus' body clock's alarm was ringing?

I remember when J was little and we were looking at getting a new estate. We were driving along one day and passed a hearse parked outside a funeral director's. 'Look, mummy',pipes up the voice on the back, looking in the direction of the hearse, 'that's what we need.'

We didnt

I remember when J was little and we were looking at getting a new estate. We were driving along one day and passed a hearse parked outside a funeral director's. 'Look, mummy',pipes up the voice on the back, looking in the direction of the hearse, 'that's what we need.'

We didnt

reminds me of this...

We didnt

Working on the basis that one baby does not need much legroom and certainly doesn't warrant an Estate. Please don't disillusion me, I don't want to tell her that babies are a no-no based on my desire for a car that doesn't look like a hearse

Working on the basis that one baby does not need much legroom and certainly doesn't warrant an Estate. Please don't disillusion me, I don't want to tell her that babies are a no-no based on my desire for a car that doesn't look like a hearse

Lifting the baby into the back of a 2 door car is a fucking nightmare. I got rid of a BMW coupe because I'd developed 'young mums back' from it. Honestly, if you are having kids forget a 2!door.

I am neither young or a mum but I do have a back.

reminds me of this...

I wish it hadnt. I've just started listening to music again for the first time in about 2 years. I need happy sounds.

For creatures so small, you've no idea what clobber is til you have kids. You'll thank me one day

I wish it hadnt. I've just started listening to music again for the first time in about 2 years. I need happy sounds.

For creatures so small, you've no idea what clobber is til you have kids. You'll thank me one day

Meh, been quite clear with the missus that babies will be her responsibility. I don't do nappies or any type of bodily fluid so it's not my problem, pretty sure that we can afford an au pair/nanny given that we live in the country where they all come from. I expect the children to be dressed up and presented to me in the evening when I shall ask them what they have been up to and shall fail to really listen to their answers. After a brief interview in which they address me as sir, they will go to bed.

If it becomes a hassle I will just arrange to work overseas for a month or so until all has been fixed in my absence

When they they become sociopaths in later life, I will either express pride if they become bankers or disown them if they crash planes

Meh, been quite clear with the missus that babies will be her responsibility. I don't do nappies or any type of bodily fluid so it's not my problem, pretty sure that we can afford an au pair/nanny given that we live in the country where they all come from. I expect the children to be dressed up and presented to me in the evening when I shall ask them what they have been up to and shall fail to really listen to their answers. After a brief interview in which they address me as sir, they will go to bed.

If it becomes a hassle I will just arrange to work overseas for a month or so until all has been fixed in my absence

When they they become sociopaths in later life, I will either express pride if they become bankers or disown them if they crash planes

No problems there mate. Just don't let them vote Tory.

Pesti and his wife, recently:

VictorianDad.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

2003 Renault Megane 1.5DCi

I get 65mpg+ so I love it.

I actually managed 1,000 miles on my last tank, although it was a squeeze. It was a little challenge I set myself.

I upgraded last night. Got myself a 2011 Kia C'eed 1.6CDTi. Got 78Mpg on the journey home from the dealer. Lovely little car! Bluetooth, Aux, USB, great A/c, drives well, comfortable, immaculate condition.

poPbrs.jpg

• Upvote 1

I upgraded last night. Got myself a 2011 Kia C'eed 1.6CDTi. Got 78Mpg on the journey home from the dealer. Lovely little car! Bluetooth, Aux, USB, great A/c, drives well, comfortable, immaculate condition.

Posted Image

Is that your 'house' in the background?

I thought a transit or flatback van would have been more fitting.

• Upvote 1