You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what car do you drive?

Guest Pistonbroke

Our Zafira has been playing up a bit lately and a good friend has given us an 06 Mondeo Estate this week. It's in for an MOT today.

I've just drove from Cambridge to Speke today for the Zafira's last hurrah before we put it up for sale at the weekend and some Romanian twat working out of Hungary has smashed into me. Was just past the M6 toll, into the roadworks, 50mph limit. I'm in the middle lane doing 50, he's in the slow lane doing the same when he inexplicably pulls out and knocks me into the next lane. Then he pulled over right at the entrance to a junction. Fucking mong.

Turns out he couldn't speak a word of English so I had to stand around for 25 minutes waiting for the highways agency to turn up and get his insurance details. There's dents in every panel on the passenger side, scratches all down it and a bit of plastic trimming gone.

Fuming, man. Sore neck as well.

that's grim, sorry to hear that J. Hopefully you'll get enough repair work done on the Zaf to push its value up a bit.

that's grim, sorry to hear that J. Hopefully you'll get enough repair work done on the Zaf to push its value up a bit.

Aye, nice one mate. Wouldn't be the end of the world if it was a write-off really. Fortunate to have sorted that car already. Will be wary of wagons with foreign number plates from now on though!

Our Zafira has been playing up a bit lately and a good friend has given us an 06 Mondeo Estate this week. It's in for an MOT today.

I've just drove from Cambridge to Speke today for the Zafira's last hurrah before we put it up for sale at the weekend and some Romanian twat working out of Hungary has smashed into me. Was just past the M6 toll, into the roadworks, 50mph limit. I'm in the middle lane doing 50, he's in the slow lane doing the same when he inexplicably pulls out and knocks me into the next lane. Then he pulled over right at the entrance to a junction. Fucking mong.

Turns out he couldn't speak a word of English so I had to stand around for 25 minutes waiting for the highways agency to turn up and get his insurance details. There's dents in every panel on the passenger side, scratches all down it and a bit of plastic trimming gone.

Fuming, man. Sore neck as well.

nOcJd.gif

• Upvote 2

The less input required from me to drive a car, the better. The two basic requirements are an auto box and cruise.

However, whilst in a courtesy car a few months ago, I came across ADAPTIVE cruise control. Now there's my dream option. I'm down the dual carriageway, adaptive cruise set to 74. The car maintains the set speed. Nothing new there. However a slower moving vehicle ahead in the same lane, causes the car to slow down to match the speed of the vehicle ahead, whilst maintaining a safe distance. It even puts the brakes on if needs be. And when the lane ahead is clear, it accelerates back up to the set cruise speed. How fucking ace is that? Now that's what I call driving.

The next car I get will be auto and have adaptive cruise. And it'll have that automatic parking thing that an Evoque I drove had. No turning the steering wheel, my hands can be more usefully engaged applying moisturiser whilst the car parks itself.

Modern driving. Happy days.

Yeah, mine has that. It's utterly fucking brilliant, it really is. Especially when you have a steaming hangover and categorically shouldn't really be driving anyway (sue me)

It also has lane assist, which is some serious next level shit. So not only does it keep a safe distance for me when some cunt cuts in to my space, also gently nudges me to let me know that I'm starting to encroach in the edge of a lane. It's fucking genius

Also lets me know if car is in my blind spot 

The parking itself thing is freaky as fuck though. I wouldn't want that. A mate has it on his big old man Lexus and it's fucking weird. I don't trust it.

nOcJd.gif

Ha. Was joking at first but I've genuinely got a sore left shoulder and my neck has cricked a few times. Don't really need that aggro, I'm supposed to be carrying a coffin tomorrow afternoon.

Been on to an accident management company and they're advising not to drive it. They're sorting me a hire car and telling me I'll probably need to replace the baby seat as well. The cunt has caused me loads of hassle.

Ha. Was joking at first but I've genuinely got a sore left shoulder and my neck has cricked a few times. Don't really need that aggro, I'm supposed to be carrying a coffin tomorrow afternoon.

Been on to an accident management company and they're advising not to drive it. They're sorting me a hire car and telling me I'll probably need to replace the baby seat as well. The cunt has caused me loads of hassle.

You should probably have a word on Skids.

Where theres blame, theres a claim lad.

Yeah, mine has that. It's utterly fucking brilliant, it really is. Especially when you have a steaming hangover and categorically shouldn't really be driving anyway (sue me)

It also has lane assist, which is some serious next level shit. So not only does it keep a safe distance for me when some cunt cuts in to my space, also gently nudges me to let me know that I'm starting to encroach in the edge of a lane. It's fucking genius.

Also lets me know if car is in my blind spot

The parking itself thing is freaky as fuck though. I wouldn't want that. A mate has it on his big old man Lexus and it's fucking weird. I don't trust it.

Yeah, the courtesy car had that lane assist too but I didn't get a chance to use it. As for the blind spot thing, on my way to Heathrow last week, I was in a Picasso rental car. M40 southbound, pulled into the outside lane and almost wiped out some poor fucker in a Focus. Absolutely invisible it was. I pride myself on my awareness in a car, particularly as shit like that happens so often to me on my bike, but despite checking rear and side view mirrors before pulling out, I still didn't see it. So yeah, I'll have blind spot assist too please.

As for trusting it to park, who gives a fuck? On the Evoque, the only input required from me was to press a button and then control the speed with the throttle pedal. Oh and I think it prompts to change between reverse and drive. Correct me if I'm mistaken but steering was all it did. That's fine by me.

It's getting fucking ridiculous now. At least one a week getting stolen at the moment, the most annoying thing being it's motorsport people who will be stealing them.

A guy I know had his stolen from his farm a couple of months ago, found in Edinburgh with half the bits gone and half the shell cut out.

Getting to the point you dare not bring them out in case someone finds out where they are. My RS1600 is sitting in a shipping container and only 3 people know it's there. Absolutely no idea what I'm going to do in terms of parking up the Mk2 and the other Mk1 when I get them finished.

The BBC are plucking prices out of thin air in that article. That car is worth way short of 120 grand, it's not original enough to be worth that. My RS1600 is totally original as is one a friend of mine has, he was told by Coys to go with a reserve around 60k when he looked into auctioning it.

here it is getting lifted

I got a BMW 320d the ED version. I'm told its bland and boring, but its got everything on it, and I do an 86 mile round trip to work and back every day, so 63mpg is pretty good. I am old and near to death so the mpg does matter. Cant fault it really.

Top cars. My 2002 320d Sport has over 190,000 miles on the clock. Just had to have the original turbo re conditioned. Not as good an mpg as it used to be but its costing peanuts to run and maintain.

People on here probably won't.

But the family of the person(s) you injure or kill may just want to.

• Upvote 2

I got a BMW 320d the ED version. I'm told its bland and boring, but its got everything on it, and I do an 86 mile round trip to work and back every day, so 63mpg is pretty good. I am old and near to death so the mpg does matter. Cant fault it really.

I have an Audi Q3 - and I'm exactly the same. I used to read up on all the top speeds and acceleration before I would buy a car. Now I just want to know if its got a DAB radio so I can listen to 6 Music.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, new job coming up and new car choices to go with it.

I quite fancy a SUV as I'm getting a bit bored with saloons and the missus objects to coupe's however a lot of my daily driving will be around a city that makes London look easy for driving and parking and your average SUV is a complete pain in the arse.

So big question, is the Range Rover Evoque a car that will make me look like a big girl's blouse? Or can a man over 40 get away with driving one?

So, new job coming up and new car choices to go with it.

I quite fancy a SUV as I'm getting a bit bored with saloons and the missus objects to coupe's however a lot of my daily driving will be around a city that makes London look easy for driving and parking and your average SUV is a complete pain in the arse.

So big question, is the Range Rover Evoque a car that will make me look like a big girl's blouse? Or can a man over 40 get away with driving one?

yes and no.

I would in this case. There are better SUVs. Unless you're planning on going tantastic and dying your hair blonde, leave those things to the tragically chav and the camp.

You're probably right and I'm definitely downgrading from the A6 as it's a complete pain in the arse for Budapest driving. Considering A4, A5 Sportback, 4 series Sportback or 3 series, maybe even a Passat with every optional under the sun. Looked at the Mercedes and Jaguar and was surprised at how shit they are now

You're probably right and I'm definitely downgrading from the A6 as it's a complete pain in the arse for Budapest driving. Considering A4, A5 Sportback, 4 series Sportback or 3 series, maybe even a Passat with every optional under the sun. Looked at the Mercedes and Jaguar and was surprised at how shit they are now

with kids though mate, you'll need a quite bit of boot space  :)  A Passat is the same size as an A6 (same underpinnings I think).  I have a friend who has an X6, and it's the most impractical car ever.  If you go SUV, you're better with something more squared off, even if it doesn't look as cool.  

Isn't there a new A4 due out this year?