You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

so this new (old) war in the Middle East

Ranxerox

I'm not surprised that you've poked your nose in Vlad. You follow Monty and the other political heavyweights around the forum, nodding your head in agreement to the soundbites they throw out, hoping for a sniff of their undies.

If I'm talking in soundbites then respond and tell me what I'm missing?

If I'm talking in soundbites then respond and tell me what I'm missing?

I think it's something about how invading a country and killing people is good because when you invade their country and kill people they hate you for it and therefore you have to kill them just in case they kill you the ungrateful bastards.

Bit of a kerfuffle on Newsnight last night about Turkey's apparent reluctance to get involved. Despite ISIL skirmishing on their borders. What's the betting Turkey's fascist government are backing ISIL in some capacity? Or at least turning a blind eye to their insurgencies against Turkey's enemy in Assad?

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the answer is.

Sadly, I think that the answer is that this will have to play out.

There ARE "boots on the ground", Turkish, Egyptian and Israeli most notably, and they are all staying well clear. Sometimes things have to sort themselves out.

Ethnic and religious differences transcend (western drawn) boundaries. The IS may well be a bad thing, but in lawless areas oppressed by dictators like Assad and Saddam, they may well be no worse, and in some cases better, than what has gone before for the local population.

Currently Iranian Shias are supporting Iraqi Shias, but it is not that long ago that they were fighting them in a bloody war. The Turks may be happy to see the Kurds crushed by IS, but have no desire to see the IS triumph over Assad, whom they would also like to get rid of. Turkish Kurds may be happy to protest in Turkey, but show no enthusiasm to go into Iraq to fight IS with other Kurds. Qatar and Saudi Arabia who were financing IS against Assad are now in the military coalition fighting them. Israel and Egypt were quite happy with an Assad who ruled Syria and by proxy Lebanon with an iron fist, and are a lot less keen on any of the other options.

The military success of IS is down to their core being ex Iraqi Army Sunnis who were demobbed by the West, then victimised by the Western backed Iraqi Shia dominated government. Much of their equipment is American, after the Americans tried to rebuild the army, the troops a mix of war veterans and American trained post Saddam recruits. This is no rag bag army.

How you unpick that lot I have no idea.

Sorry cochyn, read your post wrong, and agreed with what you're saying basically.

I linked this too further back, will put it here for anyone that doesn't know much about what's going on : http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21623795-reluctance-strike-may-redound-turkeys-president-while-kobane-burns

Has it though? Explain to me how the this has any bearing on your life daily life?

Fuck all is the answer you're looking for.

Well,the easiest thing to say is that each intervention in the middle east is making the threat of retaliation over here more possible while also providing the best recruiting drive that Islamic extremists can ever hope for. I think it was Johnny H who said that if you start invading other people's countries dont be surprised when they try to fight back and want to do horrible things to you in retaliation.

I get that you've been in the Army and see terrible things that humans do to each other but its been going on for centuries and will continue to happen. The current problem is our warmongering politicians are now doing it at the behest of shady corporations of defence contractors,weapons manufacturers and some of the most offensive people on the planet. This then unnecessarily risks the lives of the soldiers for nothing other than greed and the lives of the citizens of our country are put at risk when travelling anywhere,both at home and abroad.

The most sickening thing about these situations is that the Western governments created most of the terror groups and just swings widely on who it backs while pretty much encouraging things to carry on regardless.

There is hardly ever consultation with the governments and people of these countries and never any talk about mediation or peace talks to solve these situations.

• Upvote 1

I'm not surprised that you've poked your nose in Vlad. You follow Monty and the other political heavyweights around the forum, nodding your head in agreement to the soundbites they throw out, hoping for a sniff of their undies.

This post is stupid and immature.

I would never sniff Stu's undies as I usually nip round to his ma's house and sniff hers.

• Upvote 1

This post is stupid and immature.

I would never sniff Stu's undies as I usually nip round to his ma's house and sniff hers.

*awaits Stu to ride in on his big horse*

The impact on people’s lives might not seem apparent now but that doesn’t mean people aren’t scared of a bomb going off. Everyday on the tube I guarantee most commuters at some point on their journey think about the possibility of being blown apart by some fanatic.  

They arrested a few suspects a couple of days ago not that far from where I work who wanted to decapitate someone isis style. That person would no doubt be a white male Caucasian. I work in west London, there are only about 4 male white Caucasians in west London. That gives me a 25% chance of being caught and having my head lobbed off.

It does have an impact on people but mostly inside the head. Clearly not in the same way it effects people in the countries where all this shit is going on daily.

There are no good guys or bad guys in any of this either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The chances of them blowing up or beheading a lad from Wrexham seem quite small, but we have to put up with Welsh people, smackheads, pound shops & cash for gold on every corner, ugly women, pint & a fight nights and only having McDonalds in the way of restaurants. Give me West London any day.