You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) Match Thread

Red Banjo

As Ive said in a previous post on another thread, Rodgers rejected Carroll, but spent 16 million Balottelli. How are these players any different in terms of style of play that DOESN'T fit with his system? Rodgers doesnt DO long balls to a target man, and doesn't have a plan B, if 'total football' fails to break teams down.

With regards to Suso, in terms of match potential I agree with you, but its probably more 'political' than anything else. Behind the scenes shit is the other half of the equation. As others have said, attitude may be an issue, or he could be lazy in trining, or it could be a communication problem. Its early days for the Merkavik fella but he doesnt overly impress me.

Defence was better today, but we just love conceding late goals dont we?

Replacing Suarez was always going to be impossible in the short term, with him in the form of his life, but I doubt Balotelli is the man. What was built last season, attacking wise, is gone for now because changing personel wholesale changes everything. At least in the short term.

Think you're being harsh on Balotelli. He's certainly not a perfect fit for how we all think we're supposed to be playing based on last season, especially when he's up front on his own but he's a far better player than Carroll and he does have a turn of pace and quickness about him but for whatever reason just doesn't look to make the same sorts of runs Sturridge or a Liverpool version of Torres would make, or at least not anywhere near as frequently. Could be that he's just not a very "game intelligent" player, basically still just raw talent that's never been properly developed. If that's the case then he could be ace for us if Rodgers can get through to him.

Suarez leaving has definitely put us in a shitty position, more shit than we could have ever really imagined to be honest as we coped fine without him more often than not while he was here. I think at times with him we were guilty of playing "Kobe-ball" to borrow an NBA term where we basically just did everything we could to get him on the ball and then watched him work his magic while others moved around in relation to his movement. Problem is it doesn't work without "Kobe". Sterling could maybe be that man but he looked tired to me today, we just can't really afford to rest him, and obviously he's still young and not the finished article quite yet.

• Upvote 1

Suarez leaving has definitely put us in a shitty position, more shit than we could have ever really imagined to be honest as we coped fine without him more often than not while he was here. 

It really is incredible what the loss of one good player can do to a team.

We've gone from being a juggernaut to a team in transition in the space of a few months, which given the 100 million quid outlay, may not end up going down too well.

Both managers finally found a bit of pragmatism as fear of losing got to them both. Martinez came for a point and the use of Lukkaku on the right was a strange one. Lovren, and Skrtel won't have many easier days. The pick of Markovic I guess was down to his ability to track back and Sterling did a similar job. Lallanna  played well for the team and Henderson was less adventurous.Happy to see Gerrard get a goal as the criticism aimed at him is getting a bit silly. Although no surprise he looked sharper after a week off. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers rests him against WBA or Basle. 

Balotelli is a mixed bag tends to shoot more than Lampard but was trying to work hard but it does not come easy for him. I can see why he winds people up though. I can imagine shitty helium balloons will only appease people for so long. I think he will deliver but not as certain as I was prior to him joining. He wasn't great and he wasn't poor.

I actually think it is a good sign by Rodgers that he has decided he can't just blow away the opposition. Both managers have joined the real world after all their preachy talk last season.

It really is incredible what the loss of one good player can do to a team.

We've gone from being a juggernaut to a team in transition in the space of a few months, which given the 100 million quid outlay, may not end up going down too well.

I think if you go back to this time in 2009 there would be similar posts only swap alonso for suarez.

Both managers finally found a bit of pragmatism as fear of losing got to them both. Martinez came for a point and the use of Lukkaku on the right was a strange one. Lovren, and Skrtel won't have many easier days. The pick of Markovic I guess was down to his ability to track back and Sterling did a similar job. Lallanna played well for the team and Henderson was less adventurous.Happy to see Gerrard get a goal as the criticism aimed at him is getting a bit silly. Although no surprise he looked sharper after a week off. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers rests him against WBA or Basle.

Balotelli is a mixed bag tends to shoot more than Lampard but was trying to work hard but it does not come easy for him. I can see why he winds people up though. I can imagine shitty helium balloons will only appease people for so long. I think he will deliver but not as certain as I was prior to him joining. He wasn't great and he wasn't poor.

I actually think it is a good sign by Rodgers that he has decided he can't just blow away the opposition. Both managers have joined the real world after all their preachy talk last season.

lukaku on the right didn't work. bobby obviously thought moreno was suspect defensively but he more than held his own.

Probably the most benign and flat atmosphered derby, I've ever been at.

For us - Lallana, Henderson and Moreno, were the pick of the bunch.

Felt like a loss at the end, worst thing about it was, you could sense it coming due to us sitting so deep.

And I'm not convinced with Balotelli, at all. The sooner we Sturridge back, the better.

Probably the most benign and flat atmosphered derby, I've ever been at.

For us - Lallana, Henderson and Moreno, were the pick of the bunch.

Felt like a loss at the end, worst thing about it was, you could sense it coming due to us sitting so deep.

And I'm not convinced with Balotelli, at all. The sooner we Sturridge back, the better.

nil nil near the end of 2013 season was my one and only derby. suarez had just been banned for biting ivanovic. the only memorable thing was the vitriol coming from the blue shite in the anfield road.

yesterdays game was far better than that.

Both managers finally found a bit of pragmatism as fear of losing got to them both. Martinez came for a point and the use of Lukkaku on the right was a strange one. Lovren, and Skrtel won't have many easier days. The pick of Markovic I guess was down to his ability to track back and Sterling did a similar job. Lallanna  played well for the team and Henderson was less adventurous.Happy to see Gerrard get a goal as the criticism aimed at him is getting a bit silly. Although no surprise he looked sharper after a week off. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers rests him against WBA or Basle. 

Fuck off code