You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) Match Thread

Red Banjo

Call me John T Fuckwit then.

If we're a pressing side then it has to start from the forwards. Losing Suarezs quality is one thing, but losing his work rate is completely avoidable.

Buying the worlds laziest, stupidest forward to replace him is looking quite the mistake. Did we

Learn nothing from Ryan Babel?

• Upvote 1

We really need a win next week, but then the poxy international break comes and therefore kills stone dead any momentum that might give us.

We looked a bit better today, but fucking hell what is it with us and letting in late, late goals. Must be fucking draining the belief out of the team and all it does is make us more jittery late in games.

Not time to panic yet though but for me we have to be looking at maximum points from the next 3 - don't care how we get them, ugly unconvincing wins will do, winning a game in injury time with a lucky goal - whatever, but just fucking win...we have to get them to build some much needed confidence.

7/18. Not good. Our season last year relied on those three 1-0 wins to start. But our defending simply refuses to get any better, and so three clean sheets in a row seems like an impossible task. Thus grinding out unconvincing wins is that much harder.

Our defending today was fine, Ming had nothing to do. The shot for the goal was one of them things that happen in football.

Call me John T Fuckwit then.

If we're a pressing side then it has to start from the forwards. Losing Suarezs quality is one thing, but losing his work rate is completely avoidable.

Buying the worlds laziest, stupidest forward to replace him is looking quite the mistake. Did we

Learn nothing from Ryan Babel?

Hello John T Fuckwit.

Happy?

If we're a pressing side then it has to start from the forwards. 

Kiss of death agreeing with Fuckwit here but

I wanted him to be good - he is not. Flatters to deceive and probably always will. He has had near 10 chances that the best strikers in the world bury half of and missed them all. Praised on here for his workrate - compared to who - himself? Not compared to Suarez - he doesn't press in the places/times we need the frontrunner to, then tracks back into our third and wins a loose ball and the crowd claps him - whatevz.

If he was 6'7" people would say he has good touch for a big man - the game happens in front of him. At least three times today he took a chance off the player who was in the right spot.

Hope he improves massively.

TBH - Suarez, Sturridge, Balotelli and Lambert is a four option squad that could compete.

Right now we are like th Pips without Gladys, the Miracles without Smokey, the Tears without Sniff - no frontman.

Excuxe my cut/paste from my MF post - too lazy/pissed off to retype it

• Upvote 1

Much better performance today, as infuriating as them equalising was.

Hopefully Sturridge will be fit for next weekend, as it's pretty clear the only way we'll win matches this season is by scoring at least twice. Allen should help tighten up midfield too.

Having calmed down and avoided smashing various objects round the house I have to agree with this. Its about you can say really. Major criticism of Rodgers isn't warranted.The defense was better and the midfield was fairly solid . Henderson was great today. Up front we have a striker that doesn't take his chances or doesn't get across defenders when he should but that's Balotelli. At least he seemed engaged and put in some sort of shift. I still say playing Markovic was a mistake. It was a carbon copy of the weak effort we saw against Boro. Suso earned the right to get the nod today. 

Overall an improvement and a step in the right direction 

• Upvote 2

Given that we all accept BRs philosophy and tactics, i am puzzled why he didn't sign enough players to implement same.

Surely he should have been out looking for a few more pressing type players, ie power energy etc, rather than hoping Lucas and Gerrard would provide a meaningful back up.

Yes, Can and Allen are injured but if that midfield is the central ethos to the way the whole team plays, then it should have been beefed up properly in the summer.

I am also baffled why a guy that moves and controls the ball as well as Suso, can't get a proper look in this side, and appears, surplus to requirements.

Hodgson has really Bismarked our opening games no doubt, but, i don't think Brendan has helped himself to be honest.

• Upvote 2

If jagielka doesn't score a 1 in a million goal the reaction to that performance would have been massively different. Anyone suggesting otherwise is lying to themselves.

Poistives to take, also a few negatives but at end of the day we dropped points against Everton with minutes to go so today has to be looked at as a disappointment. Well probably win our next two games then the international break will fuck us up again

The only positions that needed to be filled pronto, were Right back, DM, and obviously someone quick as lightning and exciting as new Striker. The depth could have been added and introduced to the team over the course of the season. Keep the exact same template that we finished with last season and improve on that.

Instead, it seems like BR has rushed his new signings into action, to the detriment of the balance of the team. Every man knew his role last season, to the point where they could probably do it in their sleep. The new players should have been made to study these roles and just come in and replicate the same thing like a robot almost, and then over time show what they can do and really express themselves.

Today was better and I still have faith that the team will gel. I don't think that BR should have any pressure on him if he fucks up this season. He is our Klopp and I'm personally happy to give him some old fashioned time frame for success, in our fucked up world of modern football.

We need to put teams away or we lose points like we did today. I'm off to get drunk.

Its embarassing to keep blaming Hodgsdon.

He didn't sign Balotelli leaving us utterley reliant on the fitness of Sturridge.

We had to sign a better player, simple as that.

You might be right on Balotelli, but any criticism of Hodgson is fair game still. Thanks to him we're without our best goalscorer, and surprise surprise, we're struggling to score goals.

I thought balotelli could be ace, I was wrong.

That said, I don't have a team of scouts working for me to double check on players.

He's a fucking idiot.

As for Lambert, I think we're killing him. He needs to play to be fit. If we had no intention of playing him then WHY IN THE NAME OF FUCK DID WE SIGN HIM?

Balotelli should be learning from Sturridge the type of runs he needs to be making. If he can do that then he can be great. If not, then he will continue to slow down our attacks by coming deep for the ball when he should be sprinting into space.

I'm hoping this happens, and I think the Sturridge injury couldn't have come at a worse time in terms of helping balotelli along. However, I've got zero confidence in balotelli being willing to learn and take it on board. He acts like a tit who thinks he's made it, so what chance of him recognising his shortcomings and working on them?

I think Rodgers lets his ego get in the way too often, because borini is just what we need at the moment and yet he's dropped cold. Same with Reina, we wouldn't have these problems with mignolet if Reina was on the bench and ready to step in.