You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What Constitutes Your Perfect Roast Dinner

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

For perfect roast spuds i par boil spuds for 5 minutes. Then I put seasoning on them whilst still in the pan (after draining off water of course), sift a bit of flower on them and then use melted goose fat/Butter on them and give them a gentle shake in the pan to rough them up a bit. Roast in oven on 200°C and then wack it up to 230°C for the last 15 mins, fucking lovely. 

Tip for Yorkshire pudds, I always use an extra egg, 2/3 milk 1/3 sparkling water, then leave the mixture next to an open window for an hour covered with a tea towel. 

My roast potatoes are delicious.

Big cold pan of water with a small amount of salt. Cut up the potatoes (leaving the skin ON!) and slowly bring to the boil. While the pan is boiling away I rub the goose-fat around the roasting tray. Once they have boiled for 5 minutes or so I drain the water and sprinkle in some Italian herbs, a small amount of butter and some goose-fat then toss them while in the pan to cover them, then I pour them into the roasting tray and roast for about 2 hours. 

The 9th picture and funnily enough they look the nicest 

Perfect would be.. 
meat
big yorkshire puddings (or dumplings) - without either I'm not interested
carrots 
broccoli
cauliflower
cabbage
mash - has to be done well or you might as well be serving up shit
roasties - have to be as crispy as possible
turnip or a bit of sweet potato
stuffing 
sprouts
and peas

More of a Christmas dinner really, but I have a roast dinner so rarely that when I do go home for one I tell my ma to pull out all the stops 

Perfect would be.. 

meat

big yorkshire puddings (or dumplings) - without either I'm not interested

carrots 

broccoli

cauliflower

cabbage

mash - has to be done well or you might as well be serving up shit

roasties - have to be as crispy as possible

turnip or a bit of sweet potato

stuffing 

sprouts

and peas

More of a Christmas dinner really, but I have a roast dinner so rarely that when I do go home for one I tell my ma to pull out all the stops 

Brocoli. Wrong

Cauli. Wrong

Cabbage. Wrong

Mash. Wrong (thats for left overs on Monday night)

Sweet Potato. Are you a fucking gayer.

Sprouts I will give you even though I despise the things. But you have to leave something otherwise you look like a greedy bastard

Plus I dislike the way you say 'meat' like it is unimportant yet go on to itemise all the other stuff. Why not just say veg and then tell us about the succulent beef or lamb. I think you are a homo or worst still a vege and are therefore banned from this thread.

• Upvote 3

Potatoes are peeled, parboiled, roughed up in the pan or with a knife if extra needed, sprinkling of seasoned flour to coat them, add rosemary if having lamb, crushed garlic, then place them into preheated duck or goose fat.

They will need to be turned during 1-2 hrs of roasting.

The meat is typically cooked on top of a bed of carrot, celery, thyme, rosemary, garlic and fennel. The gravy is made out of the juices and the stock from the veg from beneath the meat in the roasting pan.

• Upvote 1

Brocoli. Wrong

Cauli. Wrong

Cabbage. Wrong

Mash. Wrong (thats for left overs on Monday night)

Sweet Potato. Are you a fucking gayer.

Sprouts I will give you even though I despise the things. But you have to leave something otherwise you look like a greedy bastard

Plus I dislike the way you say 'meat' like it is unimportant yet go on to itemise all the other stuff. Why not just say veg and then tell us about the succulent beef or lamb. I think you are a homo or worst still a vege and are therefore banned from this thread.

A real man will eat any meat and a big, strong, curly-haired man will eat all his veg (and crusts) too.

You're the one worried about looking like a greedy bastard and also use the word succulent.. Definite gay. 

• Upvote 2

It wouldn't even cross my mind to have Yorkshire pudding with any meat other than beef. I see a lot of you have it as a standard. Not sure why I'm against it, I think it might be that they need a thick gravy; you're looking for a lighter gravy with the more delicate meats like lamb and chicken.

Similarly, the choice of veg really depends on the meat. Roast duck, for example, goes great with roasted beets, lamb loves a fresh pea and beef needs a cabbage.

• Upvote 1