You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What Constitutes Your Perfect Roast Dinner

Bjornebye

Roast rib of beef pink in the middle with the loads of fat and flavour.

Roasties - golden and crunchy outside and soft as mash inside.

Carrots glazed in butter

Savoy cabbage in butter

Peas with bacon, onion and white wine

Fucking loads of Madeira gravy - I want it swimming in that shit

Horseradish sauce

Proper Yorkshire pud as a starter

A full bodied red to wash it down.

Not arsed about a desert after that lot.

Never heard of the cunt.

• Upvote 1

1. Roast potatoes / gravy

2. Veg (I absolutely love swede)

3. Meat

A few years ago, whilst drinking in York, I had two roast dinners back-to-back. A short while after, I was drinking porter in the Guy Fawkes Inn, when they handed out complimentary plates of hot roast potatoes. I commandeered a plate and quickly demolished the lot, much to my wife's embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

Roast potatoes / gravy

Veg (I absolutely love swede)

Meat

A few years ago, whilst drinking in York, I had two roast dinners back-to-back. A short while after, I was drinking porter in the Guy Fawkes Inn, when they handed out complimentary plates of hot roast potatoes. I quickly commandeered a plate and demolished the lot, much to my wife's embarrassment.

Was she not capable of finishing hers? I can't think of any other reason she would be embarrassed. 

• Upvote 1

1. Roast potatoes / gravy

2. Veg (I absolutely love swede)

3. Meat

A few years ago, whilst drinking in York, I had two roast dinners back-to-back. A short while after, I was drinking porter in the Guy Fawkes Inn, when they handed out complimentary plates of hot roast potatoes. I commandeered a plate and quickly demolished the lot, much to my wife's embarrassment.

One day we'll agree on something Tony. One day.

A Man's portion of Leg of lamb (roasted in lots of garlic and fresh rosemary)

Roasties (well seasoned and plenty of them)

Mashed carrot n' turnip/swede

Marrowfat peas (The hard fuckers you have to soak overnight in a net with a bicarb tablet)

Savoy cabbage

Roast parsnips

The lot drenched in a thick rich gravy made from the meat juices and cabbage water

The assemblage on the plate looking as formidable as anything Red Rum jumped over

Dessert

The leg bone of the lamb (early-man style)

Fresh crusty bread and butter

Afterwards

Bed or death

• Upvote 1

The roasties were intended to be shared among people. There was another couple sat at the same table as my wife and I. The husband was clearly keen to sample the fare, but I had no intention of letting him have a look in, the bastard.

One winters Sunday in the days before we had kids, the Mrs and I popped into a pub near us, intended to just have a quick drink.  

Halfway through my pint the landlord came over and put a bowl of roasties on the table with a pot of gravy. 

Needless to say that simply awesome gesture led to us staying in there all afternoon and evening getting pissed as newts

• Upvote 1

In those heady days of being an Apex predator and a major carnivore, I went through all options for the best meat accompaniment for a roast, i found only two could do it for me, Beef rib joint or Cockerel. The latter being without doubt the best of all the bird white meats.

Veg:

Roasties(goose fat on two trays to get rid of the moisture)

Mash

Carrotts in a bag(garlic, cumin, butter and wine) or pan fried and glazed

Sauteed leeks with pancetta, parmesan and cream

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Broccoli

Roast Parsnips(with honey)

Home made Yorkshire puddings

Gravy was always made from the juices of the meat

Now as a non practicing carnivore and pretty much a Z-list predator. All of the above, but without the meat.....God I miss the cockerel.